DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Starting this now since stuff is happening fast and furious and not even waiting for Sunday

Reports out of New York are that Tom Coughlin will resign on Monday

There are also reports that the Browns will "likely" fire Mike Pettine

Yea I mean Super Bowl wins are nice but they only get you so much goodwill. It was five years ago, I think they already gave him that friendly "thanks for the Super Bowl" cushion, its not a lifetime free pass. Probably at his age it is the best for both parties, and him resigning helps prevent it from being a nasty separation. I'm sure there is no ill-will on the fans or ownership side and hopefully Coughlin understands or ideally is fully on-board with the change. I hope I am not still working when I am 70, I better be retired or dead.

Right now? Fuck no.

A few years down the line, if he feels he's returned the alma mater to its rightful place, maybe won a national title, I could see him itching for another shot at the Superbowl.

Of course, he did just call this the most enjoyable season of football in his life today, and I could certainly see him wanting to stick around Ann Arbor for the long haul.

I imagine that being a college coach is one of the sweetest gigs. You get a rotating roster of players so you don't have aging veterans, you get to shape the roster in your image, and if you do well, you're basically worshiped. I can see why Harbaugh wouldn't give it up and why someone like Nick Saban isn't itching to get back to the NFL. 

When Harbaugh leaves to coach the G-Men, the Wolverines can bring in Matt Millen for no reason in his place. And don't worry, the way things have been going, after the next two weeks, I'll be part of this thread very soon.

Does anyone seriously think that Jim Harbaugh is leaving Michigan?

You're gonna hear his name a million times this off-season. Mort and Schefter will have a million hot takes on it - and every last one will be made up, just another example of ESPN creating stories. He ain't going anywhere.

Plus - with Coughlin - this was the first season where it started to feel like the game was passing him by.

Some of the... oh... FUCKING FIVE... collapses can be attributed directly to Coughlin and his baffling clock management and there were times where he seemed clueless as to what was happening in a game (see the whole Odell Beckham stuff with the Panthers where the Giants PR staff had to make him a video after the game to show him all the crazy shit OBJ did)

If anyone else had as disappointing run the last four years - especially in a place like NY - they would have been gone already. Well I guess unless their name was Jeff Fisher

So, which head coaching jobs are going to end up being open? Just going division-by-division:

NFC North - Detroit, unless the last six weeks or so have saved Jim Caldwell's job. Actually I might just want them to make a guy named Jim Bob Cooter their head coach.

NFC South - New Orleans? I don't know. . .people are saying that Sean Payton might be done. Fuck Sean Payton, in any case. Think that Lovie Smith is still safe.

NFC East - Eagles' job is already open, obviously. Giants job will likely be open, too.

NFC West - Do the Niners shitcan Tomsula after one year? The Yorks might turn that job into the sort of revolving door that Cleveland has. Jeff Fisher is still wearing his inexplicable invincibility cloak, so he's not going anywhere.

AFC North - The Browns will likely fire Mike Pettine, because Browns.

AFC South - Titans' job is already open. Colts' job is rumored to be open as soon as their season ends.

AFC East - Can't see the Dolphins giving P.C. Principal the full-time gig. Rex Ryan may or may not be out, too.

AFC West - There are rumors that the Chargers will be firing Mike McCoy on Monday.

So there could be about ten or eleven head coaching jobs open in the NFL on Monday morning. I'm honestly not sure who some of the "hot names" to fill those jobs would be (outside of Adam Gase, whose name seems to be getting bounced around a lot).

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

There were some rumors that the Eagles were trying to court John Harbaugh from Baltimore, but they've already been quieted.

Do the Bills have an out clause? They still owe Ryan 20 million over four years. I assume there's some kind of buy-out, otherwise they'd be stupid to just pay him that to go away.

Giants candidates, according to my friends and colleagues: Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, Jim Harbaugh, Nick Saban.

Actual Giants candidates: Chip Kelly, Mike Pettine, Chuck Pagano.

The local Pittsburgh media types have said for years the Giants job was the only one that'd bring Cowher out of retirement. Thing is, I imagine when Cowher hinted at that it was years ago and he never expected Coughlin to hang in this long. I think he's pretty entrenched in retirement but I bet they at least give him a call.

Saban or Kirk Ferentz seem like the most logical names I've heard. I can't see them hiring some guy who was an utter failure elsewhere (and don't say Coughlin with the Jags because what he did there was pretty amazing).

I suspect Caldwell has done enough to save his job but that's not certain. He really has done a good job of pulling the team together after the disastrous start. And, minus a pair of ridiculous officiating screwjobs (and you can make a case for a third in the St Louis game), Detroit is playing for the playoffs on Sunday with NO ONE wanting to play them.

That said, the Lions were clearly poorly coached the first several weeks and bad coaching cost them on the Packers hail Mary play. AND they're bringing in a new GM who probably wants to bring in his own guy.

I think Caldwell stays but it's probably like 55/45 now instead of the 0% chance it was eight weeks ago.

Indy is supposedly going to can Pagano, but keep Grigson around while hiring a new coach, then allow the new guy determine if he wants to work with Grigson.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I always knew Bill Polian was the reason that team wasn't a dumpster fire for a decade.  But it's obvious to everyone now.  Pagano isn't the problem.  Grigson's Build-a-Bear looking ass is.

Do the Bills have an out clause? They still owe Ryan 20 million over four years. I assume there's some kind of buy-out, otherwise they'd be stupid to just pay him that to go away.

They already announced Rex is getting another year. Which makes sense, I don't think any coach should only get one year, it isn't enough time to really evaluate.

Armando Salguero says the Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey has resigned.

2095883_orig.gif

Although, if this is to give a certain coach who is currently in New Orleans complete organizational control, then awesome.