DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

The other issue is some personal foul penalties shouldn't be personal fouls. I'd argue certain offensive line penalties aren't malicious but should stay 15-yarders.

Which ones are those?

The other issue is some personal foul penalties shouldn't be personal fouls. I'd argue certain offensive line penalties aren't malicious but should stay 15-yarders.

Which ones are those?

hands to the face?
... isn't a 15-yard penalty.

I think chop blocks and clipping are the only normal O-Line penalties that are 15 yards. I mean anyone can commit a personal foul but those are ones I guess I'd consider more specific to the offensive line. O-line can be called for facemask but usually they go with hands to the face unless its a really bad one.

I think chop blocks and clipping are the only normal O-Line penalties that are 15 yards. I mean anyone can commit a personal foul but those are ones I guess I'd consider more specific to the offensive line. O-line can be called for facemask but usually they go with hands to the face unless its a really bad one.

And I have no problem with kicking a guy out who commits two of those...so long as they are reviewable. I think all personal fouls should be.

And I have no problem with kicking a guy out who commits two of those...so long as they are reviewable. I think all personal fouls should be.

I agree in theory but only if they streamline it. I hate how replays in college just kill some drives. If they had an official that could make decisions on the fly in under a minute up in the booth (or remotely) then cool, but with their normal replay times I really don't want anything else reviewable until they find a faster way.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/15/miller-could-have-been-called-for-illegal-bat-on-newton-fumble/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&ref=yfp

But yeah, no, of course the ref who never called a Denver loss didn't make sure everything went as planned.

Just because I'm paranoid, that doesn't mean it wasn't a skewed playing field.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/15/miller-could-have-been-called-for-illegal-bat-on-newton-fumble/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&ref=yfp

But yeah, no, of course the ref who never called a Denver loss didn't make sure everything went as planned.

You lost because of the Denver defense, not the refs. Just stop it.

You lost because of the Denver defense, not the refs. Just stop it.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive. If you think those things pass the eye test that's on you.

Wonder if fans that complain about referees all the time realize how it looks. I am sure I can go back to some Panther games if I really wanted to and find times a call went their way. That is sports, what can ya do. Lord knows I could complain about some Bills penalties in close games but I don't, calls go both ways, I tend to focus on what the Bills did that caused them to lose. It is usually a long list :)  

That's a bit out there. Even so, if there was an agenda, there didn't need to be. Carolina wasn't beating Denver that day no matter who you put in a ref uniform.

Perhaps. By the way, ya'll, I just think this stuff is fun to talk about; the whatifs in the world. I don't FEEL much of anything about it. Not really sour grapes although I certainly understand it can look that way. 

Actually feel super positive about Carolina going forward!

I never buy into the 'agenda' conspiracy stuff that people have about professional sports. I think in college sports it could possibly happen but to think the NFL referees are intentionally making bad calls because the NFL Overlords want a certain team to win is some tin foil hat type shit. Especially since we established a few months ago the referees don't really call illegal bats even if they are staring right at it and it was obvious, let alone more subtle. So yea, it comes across as sour grapes.

I never buy into the 'agenda' conspiracy stuff that people have about professional sports. I think in college sports it could possibly happen but to think the NFL referees are intentionally making bad calls because the NFL Overlords want a certain team to win is some tin foil hat type shit. Especially since we established a few months ago the referees don't really call illegal bats even if they are staring right at it and it was obvious, let alone more subtle. So yea, it comes across as sour grapes.

Eh. Posted something, decided it's not worth causing a circular debate. Next season should be fun.

FWIW for sure I think the league was rooting for Peyton to win because he's their corporate speak proper in front of a camera face of the league quarterback and they can make a nice story out of it and on the flipside Cam Newton is a black guy who seemingly doesn't mind pissing people off, flashy, likes showmanship etc. I don't think it would have went as far as a shared agenda with refs but it makes it even more funny now that their golden boy has egg on his face and has been exposed as a sexual assaulting steroid using entitled piece of shit.  Their nice cozy story isn't so fucking nice anymore.  

• Like 5