DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

In depth piece on the process of the NFL going back to LA - more specific the owner in-fighting over it

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14752649/the-real-story-nfl-owners-battle-bring-football-back-los-angeles

The dueling proposals did not only represent the NFL's most recent, best opportunity to return to Los Angeles. They had also become the centerpiece of a chaotic power struggle among the league's 32 owners, between the so-called new-money group, with members who all supported Inglewood, and the old guard, most of whom favored Carson. Going into the meeting, most believed Carson had more votes. But one moment, many would later recall, seemed to halt its momentum. Michael Bidwill, president of the Cardinals and a Carson supporter, argued that the NFL doesn't exist just to make rich owners richer. Owners needed to consider what would be best for the league, and ...

Jones cut him off: "When you guys moved the team from St. Louis to Phoenix -- it wasn't about the money?"

As Bidwill tried to answer, Jones moved in for the kill: "You did it for the money."

In depth piece on the process of the NFL going back to LA - more specific the owner in-fighting over it

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14752649/the-real-story-nfl-owners-battle-bring-football-back-los-angeles

The dueling proposals did not only represent the NFL's most recent, best opportunity to return to Los Angeles. They had also become the centerpiece of a chaotic power struggle among the league's 32 owners, between the so-called new-money group, with members who all supported Inglewood, and the old guard, most of whom favored Carson. Going into the meeting, most believed Carson had more votes. But one moment, many would later recall, seemed to halt its momentum. Michael Bidwill, president of the Cardinals and a Carson supporter, argued that the NFL doesn't exist just to make rich owners richer. Owners needed to consider what would be best for the league, and ...

Jones cut him off: "When you guys moved the team from St. Louis to Phoenix -- it wasn't about the money?"

As Bidwill tried to answer, Jones moved in for the kill: "You did it for the money."

Jerry Jones, for all his faults, doesn't have time for that bullshit.  That New York Times piece on NFL owners from last week makes it really clear that he understands what the game is, and he's playing to win. 

Panthers signed a punter named Swayze Waters. I only know he's a CFL guy but Swayze Waters is immediately in the running for best name ever.

The best part is that he looks like he could be the star of the straight to video Point Break 3.

Apparently, Roger Goodell is going to push for a new rule where two personal foul penalties will get a player ejected. I doubt it gets past the competition committee, though. Way too much room for a ref to ruin a particular game. Especially, on a bad call. You would have make big hits reviewable I would think

Apparently, Roger Goodell is going to push for a new rule where two personal foul penalties will get a player ejected. I doubt it gets past the competition committee, though. Way too much room for a ref to ruin a particular game. Especially, on a bad call. You would have make big hits reviewable I would think

Wouldn't that make it WAY to easy to fix a game/shave points too?

Yup. Unless stuff like hands to the face and facemask penalties are changed, it's way too easy to kick an impact defensive player/star O-lineman out with that proposed rule.

I'd definitely limit the definition of what's "yellow cardable" but I think it's a good idea. Rules regarding ejection are a little discretionary at the moment.

I think it's a good rule, but that's a separate issue from NFL referees being shit. I don't think they're crooked, just shit.

When personal foul = D lineman swats at a pass, misses and glances Tom Brady's helmet, then Brady cries enough that the ref throws a flag just to stop the temper tantrum, this is a bad rule.

Not only that, some of those big hits over the middle are just two really fast people running towards each other.  We like to say that the DB was head hunting, when in reality he'd have to be super human to be able to aim his hit accurately at that speed.  If they start tossing people for what Aqib Talib did in the Super Bowl, I understand, but if they start tossing people for things outside of their control I don't understand.

Why do you think he's proposing it? :)

• Like 4

When personal foul = D lineman swats at a pass, misses and glances Tom Brady's helmet, then Brady cries enough that the ref throws a flag just to stop the temper tantrum, this is a bad rule.

Not only that, some of those big hits over the middle are just two really fast people running towards each other.  We like to say that the DB was head hunting, when in reality he'd have to be super human to be able to aim his hit accurately at that speed.  If they start tossing people for what Aqib Talib did in the Super Bowl, I understand, but if they start tossing people for things outside of their control I don't understand.

Exactly.  That and the personal foul calls that wouldn't have been personal fouls had the receiver or runner not lowered his own helmet.  In the end, the refs just can't be relied on to make correct calls, so why have a rule where a guy can get tossed from a game because of it?

I think we should do away with full speed football, guys are only allowed to play at half effort at most. Also QB's aren't allowed to be touched.

Are you Tom Brady?  You and your tiny little wide receivers who run nothing but rub routes can go straight to hell.

• Like 1

It's terrible officiating, which isn't quite the same thing. A league with as much money as the NFL should be able to fix both problems in their rule books and problems with the people calling them; Making ejections less vague is one of the former.

Of course, if it goes through then some work on what a Personal Foul is needs to be done: is excessive celebration a personal foul? I know it's fifteen yards, but someone doesn't need to be chucked for it. However, the Carolina player who came in head-first and late on a guy who'd been tackled deserves to be one brain-fart away from being gone.

I would like to hear officials mic'd up all the time, just to get a sense of the conversations they have with players. At least, on TV; it's not like I'm asking for the referee on the PA every moment of the game.

I've been thinking about that, paired with what I and others said earlier about how certain things are too close and shouldn't lead to ejection.  If the league really wants to do "2 personal fouls and you're out," then they need new classifications for penalties.  Talib trying to unscrew that guy's head like he was looking for Pez is not in the same ballpark as bumping into into a QB two steps too late.  They'd need a new category for the really egregious, obviously-awful stuff and just eject guys for that.  Shit, I'd be for one-and-done instead of two penalties if they were redone along these lines.  If throwing a punch is an automatic ejection, certainly trying to remove another man's head is, too.

• Like 2

Has anyone been able to locate stats on how often a player has received more than one personal foul penalty in a game the last few seasons? I'm having a hard time finding stats on it but just from memory it seems like something that doesn't happen very often.  

Has anyone been able to locate stats on how often a player has received more than one personal foul penalty in a game the last few seasons? I'm having a hard time finding stats on it but just from memory it seems like something that doesn't happen very often.  

Maybe everyone is (over) reacting to the Vontez Berverct B.S. ?

Maybe everyone is (over) reacting to the Vontez Berverct B.S. ?
Norman & Odell, more likely.