DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Alright, fine. I was salty.

Still think it was poorly officiated and that it was strange that there were penalties that they didn't even show footage of. But I'm certain that the refs were just bad and there's no correlation between the last game of Peyton Manning and a ref who has never called a Denver loss.

I mean, the NFL is fully on the up and up and known for their integrity.

• Like 1

Josh Gordon has filed for reinstatement.

lol

Dont see the humor.  Dude was banned for drinking a beer.  Was in the substance abuse program for smoking weed.  Misses a season in which Greg Hardy was allowed to play and earn 10 million.  Word is that he has been doing great while suspended this season.  I have high hopes for him.  His 2013 season was absurdly great.

Are there not rules about Professional Fouls like that in the NFL?

Yeah, 15 yard penalty or half the distance to the goal. I thought it was a dirty play, but a smart play. Up until that point the Panthers couldn't do shit on offense, so if you have the choice between a one yard penalty and a touchdown, choose the penalty.

I suppose I'm used to the mentality where a deliberate attempt to stop a score by illegal means gets the hammer dropped on the offending player. So to me, that's incredibly dirty play.

The only officiating thing that bothered me was they ignored PI/defensive holding virtually all night, and then (correctly) called it right at the end after Carolina's defense had made a big stand.

It was the right call, but they let similar plays go all night.

What bothered me was intentional grounding. The nfl really needs to look at changing how they view it. On one occasion Cam was in the grasp and going down and just managed to get the ball out and it wasn't called. Multiple other times he was about to get sacked and threw it away where it didn't really look like he was outside the tackles, and one looked to maybe not get back to the line of scrimmage. Regardless, all of those cases are intentionally grounding the ball.

If you're not trying to complete a pass and are just throwing the ball away to avoid a sack, that should be intentional grounding.

Exactly.  The rule is called intentional grounding.  It's right there in the name.  Anybody with half a brain can tell when the QB is grounding the ball intentionally instead of trying to complete a pass.  A pretty big indicator, for example, is whether the QB is in the grasp of two defenders and is one foot from the turf.

Supremebve mentioned the AFC championship and he's absolutely right.  Brady, on that last drive, was in the grasp and headed for the ground 2-3 times and just winged it into the dirt to avoid a sack.  On one occasion, the "closest receiver" had fallen down and was just getting up when the ball bounced past him. 

The rule as it is applied today is absolutely broken and does nothing but favor the offense in the cheapest way possible.

Josh Gordon has filed for reinstatement.

lol

Dont see the humor.  Dude was banned for drinking a beer.  Was in the substance abuse program for smoking weed.  Misses a season in which Greg Hardy was allowed to play and earn 10 million.  Word is that he has been doing great while suspended this season.  I have high hopes for him.  His 2013 season was absurdly great.

Josh Gordon is a dude who people assume has a problem, when in reality he got suspended for the most arbitrary reason ever.  If his urine was sampled as a whole he would have passed.  They split his sample and lettered one a and one b.  If the b sample was the a sample he would have passed.  His urine was only dirty, because they split his sample and tested the sample that happened to be one nanogram over the limit.  We all laughed at his second hand smoke defense, but if he was smoking weed he wasn't smoking very much.  Then he basically got banned for drinking a beer.  Josh Gordon doesn't strike me as someone with a drug problem.  He strikes me as someone who gets caught every time he dabbles.   

And someone that doesn't understand how to follow rules and probation restrictions which is a bigger issue probably, but I think we've all had this conversation on this board last year with people's stances probably not changing since then.

I don't think having high hopes for him is a great idea, when he did play in 2014 he was just average. And this is an even longer layoff than last time, so it seems optimistic at this point that he will repeat his 2013 numbers. But I hope he has learned from all this and comes back strong, nothing against the guy, he just seems to made a lot of poor decisions up to this point and he may end up being a one-hit wonder of sorts, a "What If" like Blackmon.

Getting back to actual football...

Teams continue to purge their rosters.

The Giants got rid of 3 starters yesterday with Jon Beason retiring (which he did in lieu of getting cut), Will Beatty and Geoff Schwartz

Beason - as I am sure Panthers fans will agree - was a really good player and better person. Unfortunately he was also constantly injured.

• Like 2

In depth piece on the process of the NFL going back to LA - more specific the owner in-fighting over it

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14752649/the-real-story-nfl-owners-battle-bring-football-back-los-angeles

The dueling proposals did not only represent the NFL's most recent, best opportunity to return to Los Angeles. They had also become the centerpiece of a chaotic power struggle among the league's 32 owners, between the so-called new-money group, with members who all supported Inglewood, and the old guard, most of whom favored Carson. Going into the meeting, most believed Carson had more votes. But one moment, many would later recall, seemed to halt its momentum. Michael Bidwill, president of the Cardinals and a Carson supporter, argued that the NFL doesn't exist just to make rich owners richer. Owners needed to consider what would be best for the league, and ...

Jones cut him off: "When you guys moved the team from St. Louis to Phoenix -- it wasn't about the money?"

As Bidwill tried to answer, Jones moved in for the kill: "You did it for the money."

In depth piece on the process of the NFL going back to LA - more specific the owner in-fighting over it

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/14752649/the-real-story-nfl-owners-battle-bring-football-back-los-angeles

The dueling proposals did not only represent the NFL's most recent, best opportunity to return to Los Angeles. They had also become the centerpiece of a chaotic power struggle among the league's 32 owners, between the so-called new-money group, with members who all supported Inglewood, and the old guard, most of whom favored Carson. Going into the meeting, most believed Carson had more votes. But one moment, many would later recall, seemed to halt its momentum. Michael Bidwill, president of the Cardinals and a Carson supporter, argued that the NFL doesn't exist just to make rich owners richer. Owners needed to consider what would be best for the league, and ...

Jones cut him off: "When you guys moved the team from St. Louis to Phoenix -- it wasn't about the money?"

As Bidwill tried to answer, Jones moved in for the kill: "You did it for the money."

Jerry Jones, for all his faults, doesn't have time for that bullshit.  That New York Times piece on NFL owners from last week makes it really clear that he understands what the game is, and he's playing to win. 

Panthers signed a punter named Swayze Waters. I only know he's a CFL guy but Swayze Waters is immediately in the running for best name ever.

The best part is that he looks like he could be the star of the straight to video Point Break 3.

Apparently, Roger Goodell is going to push for a new rule where two personal foul penalties will get a player ejected. I doubt it gets past the competition committee, though. Way too much room for a ref to ruin a particular game. Especially, on a bad call. You would have make big hits reviewable I would think

Apparently, Roger Goodell is going to push for a new rule where two personal foul penalties will get a player ejected. I doubt it gets past the competition committee, though. Way too much room for a ref to ruin a particular game. Especially, on a bad call. You would have make big hits reviewable I would think

Wouldn't that make it WAY to easy to fix a game/shave points too?

Yup. Unless stuff like hands to the face and facemask penalties are changed, it's way too easy to kick an impact defensive player/star O-lineman out with that proposed rule.

I'd definitely limit the definition of what's "yellow cardable" but I think it's a good idea. Rules regarding ejection are a little discretionary at the moment.

I think it's a good rule, but that's a separate issue from NFL referees being shit. I don't think they're crooked, just shit.

When personal foul = D lineman swats at a pass, misses and glances Tom Brady's helmet, then Brady cries enough that the ref throws a flag just to stop the temper tantrum, this is a bad rule.

Not only that, some of those big hits over the middle are just two really fast people running towards each other.  We like to say that the DB was head hunting, when in reality he'd have to be super human to be able to aim his hit accurately at that speed.  If they start tossing people for what Aqib Talib did in the Super Bowl, I understand, but if they start tossing people for things outside of their control I don't understand.

Why do you think he's proposing it? :)

• Like 4

When personal foul = D lineman swats at a pass, misses and glances Tom Brady's helmet, then Brady cries enough that the ref throws a flag just to stop the temper tantrum, this is a bad rule.

Not only that, some of those big hits over the middle are just two really fast people running towards each other.  We like to say that the DB was head hunting, when in reality he'd have to be super human to be able to aim his hit accurately at that speed.  If they start tossing people for what Aqib Talib did in the Super Bowl, I understand, but if they start tossing people for things outside of their control I don't understand.

Exactly.  That and the personal foul calls that wouldn't have been personal fouls had the receiver or runner not lowered his own helmet.  In the end, the refs just can't be relied on to make correct calls, so why have a rule where a guy can get tossed from a game because of it?

I think we should do away with full speed football, guys are only allowed to play at half effort at most. Also QB's aren't allowed to be touched.

Are you Tom Brady?  You and your tiny little wide receivers who run nothing but rub routes can go straight to hell.

• Like 1

It's terrible officiating, which isn't quite the same thing. A league with as much money as the NFL should be able to fix both problems in their rule books and problems with the people calling them; Making ejections less vague is one of the former.

Of course, if it goes through then some work on what a Personal Foul is needs to be done: is excessive celebration a personal foul? I know it's fifteen yards, but someone doesn't need to be chucked for it. However, the Carolina player who came in head-first and late on a guy who'd been tackled deserves to be one brain-fart away from being gone.

I would like to hear officials mic'd up all the time, just to get a sense of the conversations they have with players. At least, on TV; it's not like I'm asking for the referee on the PA every moment of the game.