DVDVR Message Board

Fight Kits, USADA, & Courtroom Chaos (Pat Lundvall is a Spiteful Witch Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

Numerous pundits last year were claiming it's in the bag and nothing more than a formality.

Numerous? The only people that really have been covering it is Mark La Monica and Genia. Everything else is people copying their information pretty much.

I think Jim Genia jumped the gun, but he probably had every right to be. Heastie and Morelle basically had the opposition dead to rights, but they got stalled out long enough to where everyone went home. They fucked up because they thought that window wouldn't close as fast. This year, MMA was going to be in the state budget proposal at the 3/31 deadline whether the opposition wanted it to be or not. The mounted political pressure worked because now they can't stall it out. If they tried, it would limit their ability to legislate it. So the opposition is fucked either way.  They're still in session until June. Because if Heastie brought it to a vote, what were they going to do? They need 76 votes and already have 80 Democrats on the record. 

Things like an insurance fund for fighters who have suffered injuries sounds like it could be something that could be good for the sport, but I wonder how far reaching it is.

I think what's long been the problem is that while MMA is technically banned, amateur MMA hasn't been illegal and it's been unregulated.

And that's the most ironic thing. The stuff that they didn't want happening is happening with impunity. You got several people with HIV and hepatitis competing in bouts. You have events where there is hardly any medical oversight or available physicians. You got pro fighters from other states with experience fighting amateur MMA fighters with no experience. You got all these rogue, fly-by-night events only a slight step up from Bum Fights run by extremely unsavory people who wouldn't have the courage to run a real event because there is too much dirt on them.

That's why the opposition argument of "well, we don't even want boxing". Well. shit. Even with stuff like what happened with Magomed Abdusalamov and the shadiness of Cotto/Margarito II, boxing regulation in New York is downright saintly compared to amateur MMA in the same state. Amateur MMA in New York is the real Wild, Wild West of MMA. In like Idaho, Wyoming, or some other state in the middle of nowhere, that type of activity would be probably the norm. Not in fucking New York state.

• Like 1

Are Bellator and Wsof helping the Ufc out with NY?

Not that I've seen. MMA4NY looks very much to be a UFC thing. Financially, I don't think it would be even viable for WSOF. Only like a month ago were they doing a show at a venue that costs $70 to rent (the promotion they co-promoted with probably paid that) and with a women's volleyball game going on next door.

Bellator might try to run a show before UFC does their big show in November, but I mean how much traction can they get? Also, I don't think Bellator is interested in doing "outside" ventures meaning anything outside of fighting (ex. random drug testing, the Ruvo Brain Center study, etc.). Fanfests and stuff like that is their biggest thing. Plus, if the UFC is doing all the legwork and has done so for the last several years before you even existed as an entity, why do you have to spend a penny?

Anyway, on the news front (via Mark La Monica):

The MMA bill will be go to both the Tourism and Codes committees on Tuesday. After that, it will go to the Ways & Means committee before hitting the Assembly floor. Once all that is signed off on, Governor Cuomo (who has already stated he will sign it) will sign it once it hits his desk. That will finally end a near 20 year nightmare.

Not that I've seen. MMA4NY looks very much to be a UFC thing. Financially, I don't think it would be even viable for WSOF. Only like a month ago were they doing a show at a venue that costs $70 to rent (the promotion they co-promoted with probably paid that) and with a women's volleyball game going on next door.

This got a proper spit take out of me. You know it's time to give it up when...      ( or at least give up promoting yourself as a legitimate number 2/3 org)

This got a proper spit take out of me. You know it's time to give it up when...      ( or at least give up promoting yourself as a legitimate number 2/3 org)

There are just a whole host of problems with them so they have to cost cut. They have a basement audience of 175k-225k MMA fans who will watch anything, and they can't grow their audience. If they're having contract disputes with a "name" fighter like Jake Shields who is suppose to do that, how far can they go as a promotion? Their flyweight champion was fighting on a different card the same day as the Gaethje-Foster card with a bunch of also-rans. So I mean...if you can't get that right.

More news that makes it look academic:

Multiple NY sources have confirmed the Assembly will vote on Tuesday. The Tourism committee has allotted 30 minutes for discussion of the subject, which probably means the opposition won't contest or hold up the vote.

• RIPPA unlocked this topic

Konstantin Erokhin was suspended by the NAC for 12 months today for failing a drug test for steroids.

Diego Brandao was temporarily suspended for failing a test for pot after UFC 195.

• 2 weeks later...

Mogadon.

Seriously, in the training interviews  he was talking about how kicks were coming back, and McGregor and them were using traditional Martial Arts fancykicks in MMA and they were working, so he (Mir) was going to go back to them, like in his early days. And in the training videos he was snapping off roundhouses like he a fat Tony Jaa or something. Then in the fight, he threw kicks that were like slow lazy leg pokes. It was odd.

Based on the fact he is saying he didn't do anything, he will probably use the tainted supplement excuse. The thing is he'll have to get whatever it is tested, which doesn't get him off the hook. Even though Romero got six months, they wanted to give him the full two years. I don't know if Means is going to get the same treatment either.

Painkillers are something you're just not gonna play off. I don't think Frank Mir is the "Oh shit..yeah, forgot to tell you guys I'm taking painkillers." type. With a Joe Riggs or a Ken Shamrock, I can see that happening. Dude has been fighting for fifteen years. Even he's been looking mighty suspicious in certain fights over the years, you still have to give a little benefit of the doubt.

In a story just posted on MMA Junkie, Mir confirmed he failed for AAS (anabolic androgenic steroids). At first, he thought it was for Adderall but he has a TUE so it wasn't that. He said if his B sample doesn't come back clean, that's it for his career.

The heavyweight division is like five failed tests from retiring like 60 percent of the top fighters.

I'd be fine with the shuttering of heavyweight :) .

Mir didn't have much time left for his career anyway and arguably should've retired a while ago.  IMHO still too convenient that these guys are failing drug tests and they have no idea what caused it.  In the words of Will Smith, "Tell da truth!"

Here is a stellar interview Paul Gift did with former FTC commissioner Joshua Wright.

It goes into the 2011 & 2015 FTC Investigations of the UFC, common misconceptions about how they're opened, why they were ultimately closed, differences between the FTC investigations and the current antitrust lawsuit, and why the plaintiffs in the lawsuit are going to have a very tough, uphill battle trying to prove their arguments. Definitely recommended.

Another potential USADA violation: Viscardi Andrade

This should shed a bit of light on the answer to the question posed in the UFC Zagreb event thread. Basically mirrors my answer. Andrade's sample was collected on 3/7 and sent to a WADA accredited lab in Rio de Janeiro. He fought on March 19 (or March 20 depending your timezone) in Brisbane. He was notified of his failure on April 12. So basically, whether you're living in the US or not, someone is going to be there to administer tests.