DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

It's pretty clear that Rousey isn't going to be ready for UFC 200 at this point with her other commitments plus having to get ready for the fight. I think it's pretty obvious fans were pretty much lukewarm on the idea of running it again immediately.

Yeah, I don't take it as that by any stretch. If Holm's team and Zuffa came to agreement, that's fine by me. However, the money is the rematch. The online sentiment of whether who should fight whom doesn't mean shit and it isn't going to undercut how successful that fight will be. That's our little bubble.

If the winner Holm vs. Tate comes out unscathed, I will say without a doubt the winner will fight Rousey at UFC 200.

• Like 1

Yep Tate already should have got the 3rd fight and if see takes the title off Holm she deserves the Rousey fight. It will be interesting if it does happen if Rousey will act like she did in the other 2 fights in the Lead up or will Zuffa try their damnest to make Rousey the face instead of the Heel she was in the other 2.

It would be such a bummer should Tate beat Holm and we end up with another Rousey/Tate fight at UFC 200 instead of Holm/Rousey II.

I actually think that would be quite funny and hilarious, and just want to see it happen because of that.

Jeremy Botter ‏@jeremybotter  5m5 minutes ago
BREAKING: Multiple sources confirm UFC will soon announce UFC 197 for March 5 in Vegas with Dos Anjos/McGregor and Holm/Tate.

Botter expects Conor to still defend the FW strap vs. Frankie at UFC 200.

• Like 1

Styles make fights, and Tate's basic ground and pound style is on paper one of the best ways to counter a technical striker. But from a UFC company standpoint, Holm winning by KO is best f'r biz.

McGregor vs RDA is happening? Bet that doesn't go to decision.

The problem comes in at how is Tate going to take her down. It also doesn't help that Tate is one of the most hittable fighters in MMA history. She's a better fighter than when she got head kicked by Kaitlin Young, but many times, she's still a stationary target with poor hand positioning. She has to get a takedown within the first 3 minutes to avoid being decimated.

I don't think it's a stretch for Tate to grind out a greasy win. Holm looked amazing against Rousey because she's an extremely technically proficient fighter and was matched with a sloppy raging bull. Tate will be far more tentative and cautious with her shots. Plus, she's a wrestler, not a judoka so shooting from distance is much easier for her than it is for Ronda. I haven't forgotten the tentative, ultra conservative Holm who wasn't finishing her strikes prior to UFC 193. This is a good test for Holly even though I don't think much of Tate as a great or even good fighter. She's tough, has good-ish power, good stamina and aggression, but she's also definitely an easy target and her punching technique is not good.

The one thing I think that will see Holm out is her strength. She easily stopped Ronda's trips and even reversed one or two of her in-close takedown attempts. She's fucking jacked up and way strong, so I could see her sprawling Tate until she gets the KO.

• Like 1

I believe his test camp doesn't end until next week. I think they're confusing fighting with training and supplement with octagon for cage like a bunch of other people do.

UFC 197 will take place at the MGM Grand, per @latimespugmire.