DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I totally forgot about him partly because ATT had a lot of turnover (fighters and coaches) when Benkei left and went to Matt Hughes' old gym that Jesse Finney bought, and you had the fighters start Imperial Athletics (which went on to be the Blackzilians/Jaco Hybrid Training Center) in Boca around that time as well. It appeared he was going to be Benkei's replacement, and then he just kinda disappeared.

He's not there anymore, so you can write him down on the list of past ATT coaches. He told me he just trains BJJ once or twice a week now as a hobby as he wants to spend more time with his family and training guys was very time consuming as he had to spend at least 10 hours a day helping train the guys.

But yeah, it was quite fun speaking with him and it also proves how little attention I pay to fighters corners as I had never seen him before corner anyone and I had seen at work for months without even noticing that.

29 minutes ago, Edwin said:

He's not there anymore, so you can write him down on the list of past ATT coaches. He told me he just trains BJJ once or twice a week now as a hobby as he wants to spend more time with his family and training guys was very time consuming as he had to spend at least 10 hours a day helping train the guys.

But yeah, it was quite fun speaking with him and it also proves how little attention I pay to fighters corners as I had never seen him before corner anyone and I had seen at work for months without even noticing that.

Back then, the ATT corners would vary a lot. I mean fighters like Lombard and Masvidal would have dudes I didn't immediately recognize. 

Now it's a lot more stable as far as the corners go. You will see Conan, Katel Kubis, Mike Brown, Parrumpinha, Kami Barzini, and maybe like Roger Krahl, Jucao, or King Mo. You still have people who might have a personal coach for one discipline, but it's more stable across the board. 

RIZIN Open Weight Grand Prix Quarter Final Round Fights For 12/29:

Mirko Cro Cop vs. Wanderlei Silva III

Tsuyoshi Kosaka vs. Baruto

Shane Carwin vs. Amir Aliakbari

Szymon Bajor vs. Valentin Moldavsky

RIZIN also has another big event 2 days later on 12/31 NYE and they announced the Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kron Gracie, the semi finals of the Open Weight Grand Prix and finals of the Open Weight Grand Prix for it.

They also announced Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett vs. Minoru "Phillip" Kimura II, Erson Yamamoto vs. Hideo Tokoro and Miyuu Yamamoto vs. Andy Nguyen, but they haven't specified if they'll be happening on 12/29 or 12/31.

Kanako Murata and Kanna Asakura will also be fighting on one of these cards.

Murata called out Rin Nakai at the last RIZIN card, but nothing has been made official yet. I believe Sakakibara will be in attendance tomorrow at Pancrase 282, so there's a very high chance of Nakai beats Charlene Watt he will try to finish the deal for this fight.

Also for what it's worth, Rin was supposed to fight Priscila de Souza, but she had to pull out due to an injury.

I am a fan of John McCarthy, always thought he was one of the better referees and enjoy his bluntness sometimes. Anyway he did a long interview at Bloody Elbow, thought others may enjoy it.

The referee pay is ridiculous but I am not surprised. I shouldn't be making more money a year than UFC referees. But a lot of sports underpay their referees, and get part timers because of it, then wonder why they make mistakes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

I don't know what happened but that does NOT look good!

Apparently, that's from a film project he's doing and just a joke.

On the other hand, Rashad Evans has been pulled from UFC 206 due to yet another commission issue. The UFC is looking for an opponent for Kennedy.

Yair Rodriguez vs. BJ Penn is expected to main event the Fight Night card in Phoenix.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

1. Cole Miller is still fighting in the UFC?

2. He's still fighting at featherweight like an idiot?

This bout was on the Manila card and was moved to the card in Sacramento.

On 18/11/2016 at 1:15 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

I am a fan of John McCarthy, always thought he was one of the better referees and enjoy his bluntness sometimes. Anyway he did a long interview at Bloody Elbow, thought others may enjoy it.

The referee pay is ridiculous but I am not surprised. I shouldn't be making more money a year than UFC referees. But a lot of sports underpay their referees, and get part timers because of it, then wonder why they make mistakes.

Thanks. Mental note to give that a read at some point.

On 22/11/2016 at 4:02 AM, TheVileOne said:

Kelvin Gastelum thinks he's going to fight Tim Kennedy at UFC 206.  He can fuck right off.  

This. Fuck Kelvin Gastelum.

• Like 1

Cormier is out of UFC 206 with I'm guessing is a leg injury. I believe Meltzer accidentally leaked that Cormier had a bad knee some weeks ago on an Observer radio show I was listening to. It seemed bad enough that Dave was pretty confident that Rumble was going to win the rematch. I assume he couldn't train anymore with it and didn't want to jeopardize the title.

That got leaked on some morning show interview with DC and AJ. The host asks DC about his knee injury and AJ is like, "oh? I wasn't aware of this..." DC didn't look happy.

That sucks though. Hopefully DC has a speedy recovery.

2 hours ago, Jamie Virtue said:

This is why you need to make sure you book a decent co-main event, because if your main event falls apart two weeks before the show... the rest of the card certainly isn't PPV-worthy.

Hell, Cormier-Rumble II WAS suppose to be the original co-main event. When they couldn't reach a deal with GSP, that's when they decided to bolster the undercard a bit as you'll remember all those fights magically started being made for (or moved to) 206. It's hard to do a backup plan for the backup plan when you need fighters for other events. Keep in mind, we're not that far out from UFC 208 (Anaheim), 209 (Brooklyn), and 210 (Vegas). Add in the Fox card in Denver a week after 208.

• Like 1

As far as 206 goes, UFC might be leaning towards making Pettis vs. Holloway for the interim FW title and making Aldo the full champ. I'm guessing we will get a formal announcement during tonight's show.

On the stranger news side, Gabi Garcia is fighting Shinobu Kandori (yes, that one) on the 12/31 RIZIN card.

• Like 1