DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Well, Sherdog has had the giant, full screen popout video ad for at least 5-6 years it feels like whenever you go to the homepage.

It also does that when you accidently move your cursor over the banner. That has made for some terrifying experiences on a few occasions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Is WSOF really airing a card on NBC on 12/31? I thought it might be an error, but their website and a bunch of other sites say the prelims are on NBC Sports Network, and the main card is on NBC.

Yep, they rolled two other cards into that card.

So it's actually on the network NBC, and that's not a typo? Wow, okay. I guess I found something to watch on New Year's Eve since I won't be working that holiday for once in my life. I had read they rolled two cards into one massive card since they're doing a show at the venue inside MSG. Four championship fights seems like a hell of a stretch, but only 3 are on the main card, so I guess that's okay. Anything to look forward to on that card, prelim or main card? I only know of Fitch and Shields, so...

3 hours ago, Casey said:

So it's actually on the network NBC, and that's not a typo? Wow, okay. I guess I found something to watch on New Year's Eve since I won't be working that holiday for once in my life. I had read they rolled two cards into one massive card since they're doing a show at the venue inside MSG. Four championship fights seems like a hell of a stretch, but only 3 are on the main card, so I guess that's okay. Anything to look forward to on that card, prelim or main card? I only know of Fitch and Shields, so...

Keep an eye on the Moraes and Gaethje. Their top 2 fighters who've never fought in the UFC or Bellator before.

Aside from that there's some other UFC veterans on the card like Okami, Bradley, Branch and Rosholt.

Branch is so much better than his UFC run. He could be a serviceable fighter at either middleweight and light heavyweight in the UFC now.

Moraes, if I'm not mistaken, just a signed a new deal with WSOF. He may be with them until they finally close shop one day.

Hopefully, Gaethje still has something left if he ever decides to go to the UFC. He leaves everything on the table fighting these dudes he's clearly better than.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I feel like Gaethje's porous defence would cost him dearly in the UFC, which is a shame because he's one of the most entertaining fighters going. Pure guts.

Lightweight is so deep that it's always going to depend on the matchups he gets. You can basically fight a set of fighters and be on a completely different planet from other top lightweights. However, if he is making somewhat decent money, I would expect him to be fighting dudes close to his level. I mean Brooks went from fighting a former featherweight in his first bout to a dude who is essentially moving up to 170 less than three months later. That's a rough look for someone who is still trying to improve to fight to fight. But hey, a lot of these dudes want to move up fast and they got several people to climb past in the division.

In regards to the defense, I think he can beat a number of lightweights on toughness. Ferguson/Vannata proved on several levels how far a chin can get you in both cases. The inherent problem is you never know when a chin is going to let out. Moreover, the type of fighters Gaethje could potentially face have more stamina than the dudes he has already fought and could fight in WSOF. That gives me more pause than just his chin because it's still lightweight. There are plenty of fighters with good power at LW, but it's still not 170 and above where it gets more make or break as you move up in weight. I just don't know how many times you can summon that up and against dudes who can dish out punishment for longer periods of time. You can't wait for dudes to get tired of whooping your ass, especially in three rounders. In five rounders, it gets really interesting and even more interesting if it's two clear, quality lightweights. However, it's for certain he has to make critical adjustments and use his wrestling/grappling game more if he wants to contend immediately.

Some news notes:

Urijah Faber is retiring after his fight with Brad Pickett in Sacramento on the UFC on Fox card.

Marc Diakiese gets a quick turnaround against the returning Frankie Perez on the Albany card. That's a quality matchup.

Ray Borg vs. Louis Smolka has been added to the UFC 207 card.

According to MMA Fighting, Sean Shelby will be the matchmaker for both the women's divisions as well as male bantamweight to welterweight. Mick Maynard is responsible for flyweight and middleweight to heavyweight.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Anthony Pettis vs. Max Holloway has been added to UFC 206.

If you gave me the matchmaking job for the UFC, this is quite possibly the first fight I'd make.  The two featherweight champions don't look like they'll be defending their belts any time soon, but there are still a ton of fun fights to be made.  I think this could be the fight that makes Holloway a bonafide star.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, supremebve said:

If you gave me the matchmaking job for the UFC, this is quite possibly the first fight I'd make.  The two featherweight champions don't look like they'll be defending their belts any time soon, but there are still a ton of fun fights to be made.  I think this could be the fight that makes Holloway a bonafide star.

I think if the performance Pettis had against Do Bronx was more dominant, I think that probably could be the case. I think some people have already given Pettis failing marks at FW, and he hasn't even had two fights yet.

However, I do think a win over Pettis does at least alleviate that built in excuse of folks not having to fight Holloway. Personally, I think Aldo is waiting for UFC 205 to be done with and then pick who he wants to fight. It sounds like he is already about to back off the retirement thing. On the off chance Conor wants to come back down, we most likely do get the McGregor-Aldo rematch. If Edgar beats Stephens as expected, we can get Holloway-Edgar. That's the scenario I want to see because I feel Holloway beating Edgar, whose only white whale is Jose Aldo, does more for him in terms of resume than this form of Anthony Pettis. He would have to do a demolition job on Pettis for it to mean as much as winning a convincing decision over Edgar.

Now if Pettis beats Holloway, then it becomes really interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think if the performance Pettis had against Do Bronx was more dominant, I think that probably could be the case. I think some people have already given Pettis failing marks at FW, and he hasn't even had two fights yet.

However, I do think a win over Pettis does at least alleviate that built in excuse of folks not having to fight Holloway. Personally, I think Aldo is waiting for UFC 205 to be done with and then pick who he wants to fight. It sounds like he is already about to back off the retirement thing. On the off chance Conor wants to come back down, we most likely do get the McGregor-Aldo rematch. If Edgar beats Stephens as expected, we can get Holloway-Edgar. That's the scenario I want to see because I feel Holloway beating Edgar, whose only white whale is Jose Aldo, does more for him in terms of resume than this form of Anthony Pettis. He would have to do a demolition job on Pettis for it to mean as much as winning a convincing decision over Edgar.

Wait, people think that Pettis' performance against Do Bronx was a failure?  He was in control of that fight from the first minute, was the better striker, better grappler and then got the finish.  It wasn't a beat down, but there was not a moment in that fight where I thought that Oliveira could beat him.  What exactly are we expecting from Pettis where that wasn't enough to solidify himself at featherweight?  

4 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Wait, people think that Pettis' performance against Do Bronx was a failure?  He was in control of that fight from the first minute, was the better striker, better grappler and then got the finish.  It wasn't a beat down, but there was not a moment in that fight where I thought that Oliveira could beat him.  What exactly are we expecting from Pettis where that wasn't enough to solidify himself at featherweight?  

On 8/27/2016 at 8:37 PM, TheVileOne said:

I still don't see Pettis going very far at featherweight. 

To be fair to VileOne, I did see similar things on my Twitter timeline and other discussion forums following the Vancouver show.

People are expecting Anthony Pettis who gets people out of there in the first round, and that's basically unrealistic.