DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's pretty simple.  Conor McGregor is never defending that title, and he's never fighting at featherweight again.  That's my prediction.

On 8/21/2016 at 0:09 AM, TheVileOne said:

McGregor needs to defend his belt or relinquish it.  Those are his options.

Apparently, it wasn't simple enough because that first prediction was wrong as all get-out.

It's garbage because the featherweight and lightweight divisions both get logjammed again.  I stand by what I said.  He needs to defend the belt or relinquish it.  The belt doesn't mean as much if he never defends it.  He can't walk around as champ of a division while the fights are there and McGregor is never around defending the belt.

FOX Sports says Weidman vs. Romero is official.

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's garbage because the featherweight and lightweight divisions both get logjammed again.  I stand by what I said.  He needs to defend the belt or relinquish it.  The belt doesn't mean as much if he never defends it.  He can't walk around as champ of a division while the fights are there and McGregor is never around defending the belt.]

Wait, where have you been the last ten months? Apparently, he can because he hasn't had a featherweight fight since last December and will be three fights removed from fighting in the weight class. So yeah, he doesn't need to do anything. I think we have firmly established this.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Wait, where have you been the last ten months? Apparently, he can because he hasn't had a featherweight fight since last December and will be three fights removed from fighting in the weight class. So yeah, he doesn't need to do anything. I think we have firmly established this.

That doesn't mean I like it or agree with it.

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

We'll see how factual everything is in the next two months.

Uh...except everything I already said is true. This is not how that works. You stood behind what Dana said. That didn't turn out very factual. Like at all.

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Uh...except everything I already said is true. This is not how that works. You stood behind what Dana said. That didn't turn out very factual. Like at all.

You've made your point.  You were right.  Do you want me to sing the I was right and you were wrong song in your honor?  

UFC is going to make so much bank off of New York. I'm happy for New Yorkers finally getting a direct line to the sport too. This is going to be swell. Will New York become the company's second home outside of Vegas?

27 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

UFC is going to make so much bank off of New York. I'm happy for New Yorkers finally getting a direct line to the sport too. This is going to be swell. Will New York become the company's second home outside of Vegas?

I think it will depends on timing and the availability of some of the bigger names. First year to two years? Definitely. I don't think it's like Brazil four or five years ago where they really didn't have a ton of options outside HSBC Arena (granted, a large part of that was on the incompetence of Grace Tourinho as managing director). They can do Fight Nights all over and do MSG and Barclays each once a year. After that, you're always going to run into diminishing returns. Right now, on paper, it ain't a whole lot of ways to top UFC 205. That's an extremely high bar out of the gate and that goes for even if a few bouts fall off the card. I am not saying that people should expect table scraps, but it's not going to be a legitimate choice for numerous money fights unless there are legitimate reasons behind it. I mean look at California and Texas. I know Los Angeles is a tough place to sell tickets, but they can run Southern California as a substitute for running shows in Vegas. UFC can do 4 shows in Texas in four different cities (Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, and Austin) in a calendar year and still have multiple places to still take shows in the state. Another thing is you have a large quantity of smaller cards occurring outside the lower 48. I expect New York state to take some of those, but over the course of the next 2-3 years, I don't expect the UFC to try to shrink their visibility in international markets. Therefore, New York is going to have to compete with other shows over bouts. Many of them won't be marquee, but I still expect the new regime to assess the positives or negatives of bigger fights landing there. You might get something like what happened with Maia vs. Condit. Do we sacrifice a big "name" fight earmarked for a PPV for this Fight Night/Fox card in Buffalo or do we just give them a B+/B-/C+ fight from the same card (or from scratch) as a main event and just give them a very respectable undercard underneath? Both choices have their pluses and minuses. 

I was thinking more for the ability to charge absurd prices for tickets like they can in Vegas. Wouldn't they be able to charge an arm and a leg for MSG shows like they do for bigger shows at the MGM Grand? Looking at UFC 196, the gate was $8.1 million. Would something in the $5 million range be feasible for MSG? 

Edit: looking at more gate totals, Cleveland was $2.6 million and 200 was $10 million. I guess $5 would be pretty disappointing for such a stacked card such as 205. New York could represent a second city for the huge cards like this one and they could rake in a gate that's 10x your average PPV gate in smaller markets.

Edited by Oyaji

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I was thinking more for the ability to charge absurd prices for tickets like they can in Vegas. Wouldn't they be able to charge an arm and a leg for MSG shows like they do for bigger shows at the MGM Grand? Looking at UFC 196, the gate was $8.1 million. Would something in the $5 million range be feasible for MSG? 

Again, depends on the card. But also, a $5 million gate in Manhattan/Brooklyn can probably be a $7-8 million gate in Vegas adding in the high rollers. Yeah, you can charge people their first born for 205. That's once in a lifetime. Subsequent cards after the first three or four major cards? Gonna be tough. This ain't six or seven years ago. People will stay home if the cards ain't popping. This goes especially if the next card in the same market is much better. That's something Vegas has only really had to deal with up until this point. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Again, depends on the card. But also, a $5 million gate in Manhattan/Brooklyn can probably be a $7-8 million gate in Vegas adding in the high rollers. Yeah, you can charge people their first born for 205. That's once in a lifetime. Subsequent cards after the first three or four major cards? Gonna be tough. This ain't six or seven years ago. People will stay home if the cards ain't popping. This goes especially if the next card in the same market is much better. That's something Vegas has only really had to deal with up until this point. 

Hmm, wouldn't there be similar sorts of high rollers in Manhattan as there are in Vegas? I'm sure boxing has the answer to this, but I'm unfamiliar with boxing gates.

Big time boxing in NY even before the insurance thing has all but disappeared. You get a Golovkin fight or some PBC/Showtime cards every now and then. However, I doubt those cards reach 1 to 1.5 million at the gate. Cotto probably has a few close to that but it is usually the week of the Puerto Rican day parade. Boxing people have more or less tried leaning on Atlantic City for high rollers until that completely dried out. So there hasn't been a big incentive to bring the biggest fights to NYC. In 19 years, Floyd Mayweather never fought in New York. Why? Vegas is king for fights.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

I'll take Things That Definitely Won't Happen for 200, Alex.

FWIW, I believe Okamoto tweeted that UFC 205 will be a six fight main card.

Pacing for a six-fight card with three title fights...ouch.

Jose Aldo is an idiot. Did they not offer him a rematch with McGregor and he turned it down?

I don't know what this means, but Dana White was on UFC Unfiltered with Serra and Norton today and talked about the Chris Weidman situation.  I don't know what it was, but he said there was some unresolved things he was working on with Lorenzo Fertita or some such that he didn't get "closure" on after Fertita left.  So after having dinner with Weidman, White flew Weidman out to see Fertita so they could get "closure."  His words, not mine.  

Have no idea what this could mean pertaining to the holdup with Weidman/Romero in New York.  Maybe Fertita was helping Weidman line up some sort of financial deal?

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Pacing for a six-fight card with three title fights...ouch.

No, "ouch" is the pacing on many of these FS1 main cards. I don't know if you've noticed but most of them have six fights with commercials and studio cut-ins interspersed. Also, countless video packages for upcoming cards and interviews. If you've sat through that on the regular, sitting through a PPV where they don't have that shit should be fine. It's so sad that the only frame of reference people have for long PPVs is UFC 33...something that is literally FIFTEEN YEARS OLD come midnight. The other being that Strikeforce Nashville card, which is an entirely different promotion. But guess what? Ain't no Dennis Hallman or Jake Shields on this card. The Janitor ain't in the main event spot, folks. It's fine. There ain't no fucking curse. Keep in mind, the crowd is going to be electric for most of the night. Why can't people contextualize what fights might look like as opposed to "oh shit, THAT'S 2-4 MORE ROUNDS OF FIGHTING! HOW ARE WE GOING TO LIVE?!". Yeah, Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Karolina Kowalkiewicz should be out there fighting 3 3-minute rounds because Jens Pulver had a shitty fight a decade and a half ago. Shit, might as well do standups after 90 seconds on the ground. Are people this stupid?

• Like 2