DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Season one of Where Are They Now is up on youtube now:

Dana White looks young as fuck in those 10 year old TUF clips.

Of course she was coming back. Just look at the commercials for Bud Light with Conor and Reebok(which she pretty much hinted at it). Not too mention, WME-IMG is her people. She will not be ready for NY but I can see a March return. I know experts and Dana think she will go for the title but I think Rousey wants a rematch with Holly before anything.

12 minutes ago, Shawn411 said:

Of course she was coming back. Just look at the commercials for Bud Light with Conor and Reebok(which she pretty much hinted at it). Not too mention, WME-IMG is her people. She will not be ready for NY but I can see a March return. I know experts and Dana think she will go for the title but I think Rousey wants a rematch with Holly before anything.

With Holm being out with that hand injury, it probably won't be her especially if they plan on making a fight for Ronda ASAP. I think Holly's team was shooting for the end of the year, but that sounds like wishful thinking. She had surgery a week ago. and the timeframe she was given was six weeks before she can use that hand.  

I think with Holm being 0-2 this year and a lot of the luster of the Rousey win being lost (some for good reasons and some for the wrong reasons), it's maybe best to give Holm a solid rebound opponent first. Outside of Cyborg and maybe a few other girls, she can dust up folks in the top fifteen. 

I think the best case scenario would be for the UFC to do Nunes vs. Rousey in January or February, Pena vs. Shevchenko, and Holm vs. TBD. If Ronda beats Amanda and Holly wins her fight, then you can do Rousey vs. Holm II and the winner of Pena vs. Shevchenko can wait a few months to challenge for the belt.

3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

With Holm being out with that hand injury, it probably won't be her especially if they plan on making a fight for Ronda ASAP. I think Holly's team was shooting for the end of the year, but that sounds like wishful thinking. She had surgery a week ago. and the timeframe she was given was six weeks before she can use that hand.  

I think with Holm being 0-2 this year and a lot of the luster of the Rousey win being lost (some for good reasons and some for the wrong reasons), it's maybe best to give Holm a solid rebound opponent first. Outside of Cyborg and maybe a few other girls, she can dust up folks in the top fifteen. 

I think the best case scenario would be for the UFC to do Nunes vs. Rousey in January or February, Pena vs. Shevchenko, and Holm vs. TBD. If Ronda beats Amanda and Holly wins her fight, then you can do Rousey vs. Holm II and the winner of Pena vs. Shevchenko can wait a few months to challenge for the belt.

You left out Tate, is she injured? I know she doesn't get an automatic rematch but I'd think she'd be ahead of Holm since Holm is 0-2 and Tate just beat her. I was thinking it would be similar to your setup but with Tate in the place of Holm and Holm having to do... something else to get back in the title picture. Maybe Tate vs. Shevchenko to get a #1 Contendor and Holm vs. Pena for the backup.

Course I am going by recent logic, not what would sell PPVs so take that into account :) Is Cyborg still looking at mid-late 2017 for her shot at Rousey? That money fight is slipping away in terms of interest I think so I hope its not on ice forever, unless they are too worried about the result.

36 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

You left out Tate, is she injured? I know she doesn't get an automatic rematch but I'd think she'd be ahead of Holm since Holm is 0-2 and Tate just beat her. I was thinking it would be similar to your setup but with Tate in the place of Holm and Holm having to do... something else to get back in the title picture. Maybe Tate vs. Shevchenko to get a #1 Contendor and Holm vs. Pena for the backup.

Course I am going by recent logic, not what would sell PPVs so take that into account :) Is Cyborg still looking at mid-late 2017 for her shot at Rousey? That money fight is slipping away in terms of interest I think so I hope its not on ice forever, unless they are too worried about the result.

Forgot about Miesha but she did get her face rearranged and a long medical suspension. Plus, I think if Ronda was champ again, it would only make sense that Holly get that bout since she would still be the only one who has that win over Ronda. And also, it would sell more PPVs which was my angle.

However, now that I think about it, I would be fine with Tate vs. Holm II once both women heal up. That way, if Holly does win, people won't have the "well actually X beat Y who beat Z so X should get the title shot instead" reaction. Or at least as big as we've gotten with the men in recent years. After what has gone down this year at female bantamweight, the last thing people should be complain about is making the money fights. They've spent the first six months of 2016 not making (*granted Rousey is obviously the biggest part of that equation) or putting them on ice. In addition, for such a small division with a short history, the MMA math/parity is insane and I honestly doubt most of the people who actually purchase the PPVs or watch the shows care that much anyway. 

The Cyborg thing....I think it's clear the UFC going to do everything in their power for her not to fight in Invicta. I'm pretty sure that Lansberg was gonna be someone she fought on an upcoming Invicta card and the UFC just made the compromise that Cris would get to headline and be on a much bigger platform. Honestly though, even though that's like the 3rd or 4th biggest fight on that card, it is what makes sense for the UFC (and Cyborg but mostly the UFC). It makes no sense for her to be in Invicta. Let Megan Anderson feast on the remnants of whatever the hell is left of that division. Plus, there is a good chance the UFC wouldn't even make an attempt to pluck her from Invicta. That's one less person you have to worry about being gone. So let her fight whomever for the interim/vacant FW title in Invicta and keep it pushing.

The UFC is going to see how this goes. If she keeps smashing random chicks, I honestly think it would have the same effect as smashing the Liz Carmouches or Raquel Penningtons of the world who might accept catchweight fights. You only have a select number of notable, name fighters above 115 pounds and 90% of them aren't in the same stratosphere (name + ability combined) as Ronda Rousey. So in comparison, those wins over random faceless chicks are going to grow that interest back in potential fights with Ronda, Nunes, and the other fighters in that 10% who fight fans actually know. She just has to do it impressively. It's just always going to be Cyborg's side and their insistence of keeping her in Invicta and doing other things (weight related or not) versus the UFC wanting to keep her under contract so she can squash random chicks who have no chance. However, as long as she is under UFC contract, Cris is at the behest of the UFC and their interests. Right now, their interest is keeping her name out there which I asserted last year should be the ultimate goal until you do get the Rousey fight or another big fight.

IMO, if Conor wins next week, it is hard to believe they wouldn't offer Georges that fight. That's the perfect amount of low risk/high reward you can find for GSP. GSP/Woodley and McGregor/Aldo II can both do really good numbers, but the intrigue in the return plus another big star is something you have to capitalize on. Plus, I dunno how many chances you're going to get to make it.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

IMO, if Conor wins next week, it is hard to believe they wouldn't offer Georges that fight. That's the perfect amount of low risk/high reward you can find for GSP. GSP/Woodley and McGregor/Aldo II can both do really good numbers, but the intrigue in the return plus another big star is something you have to capitalize on. Plus, I dunno how many chances you're going to get to make it.

What about offering Nate Diaz that fight since he's going to win anyway?  That also seems like a terrible style match-up for Conor anyway.  And there's also the matter of the featherweight title.

Just now, TheVileOne said:

What about offering Nate Diaz that fight since he's going to win anyway?  

I think it depends on how he wins. He does it faster and cuts a great promo afterwards calling out GSP, then might as well do that. However, GSP's mind seems more on Nick than Nate. That's why I didn't say Nate.

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Not everyone can fight Conor McGregor

If GSP wants to, he can. That's not really up for debate. They've already shown they're willing to delay fights to make bigger fights. WME-IMG didn't buy the UFC to NOT make those fights. You don't pay 4 billion dollars to do less business. If it's on the table, they're most likely going to pursue it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Second gold medal for Harrison, who has stated her interest in doing MMA.

She competes at 165 lbs. I wonder if the UFC would consider creating a featherweight division built around her and Cyborg, should Harrison enter MMA.