DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

That $400 million in projected rights fees caught my eyes. If Fox was willing to put up $3.6 billion, I am sure they going to offer UFC at least double of what they get now in right fees. If they can get $400 million how can anyone say UFC had a "bad year" after that?

I think WME might want to put UFC on multiple networks instead of one.

UFC on Time Warner would have been fun. Just imagine them on TNT,TBS or HBO. Crazy right. I've been saying for awhile by 2030, UFC would be strictly tv/fight pass and less on ppv. Kind of moving in that direction

4 hours ago, Shawn411 said:

That $400 million in projected rights fees caught my eyes. If Fox was willing to put up $3.6 billion, I am sure they going to offer UFC at least double of what they get now in right fees. If they can get $400 million how can anyone say UFC had a "bad year" after that?

I think WME might want to put UFC on multiple networks instead of one.

UFC on Time Warner would have been fun. Just imagine them on TNT,TBS or HBO. Crazy right. I've been saying for awhile by 2030, UFC would be strictly tv/fight pass and less on ppv. Kind of moving in that direction

I think the problem is you can never say when the live sports on TV thing might burst or more importantly, when the actual business might start trending down causing you to not be as hot a commodity. However, for thirty plus years, the right fight or right combination of fights will always sell on PPV whether the promotion is in the proverbial shitter or not. Maybe there is an ideal balance, but we have to look at it realistically based on the evidence we already have. Even though Haymon has to pay out of pocket for television time, I think the idea behind Premier Boxing Champions is to achieve that goal. Hence, why at the beginning they were adamant about using the UFC model. Make stars to do PPV, but also be able to draw a large enough audience to justify being there and increase ad revenue. The problem here is there aren't enough ready made stars and potential stars in boxing. So if this isn't working in boxing where you don't have the sheer amount of injuries and drug suspensions, it's tough for it to work in MMA. I think any fan, if they were in the spot of a Dana White or somebody like that, would say let's just reserve the big fights for PPV (maybe 6-8 PPVs in a calendar year) and have the other stuff for television. The thing is, much like we're finding out with PBC, you can't bring the 80s and 90s back. The cat is already out of the bag. Over the last 3 or 4 years, we've seen bouts on PPV (whether main event, main card, prelims) start with 2 participants and change into a bout with 2 other participants. That's how the game goes. It's very possible you get the big change where that huge main event you're planning turns into something that doesn't make anyone interested enough to buy it. You would say, "Well, we can just load up the undercard and have replacements on standby." So what about the other shows you got? You're going to sabotage those shows just to do a sellable, marketable PPV? That means you're still very much a PPV company. There are only so many times you can rob Peter to pay Paul. 2014 taught us that. Now, in 2015 and 2016, they've been able to do that just because the level of talent they have plus the talent that was returning was insane. It won't be like that always just because the sport is so unpredictable and very star driven.

Can something happen down the line fifteen years from now? Sure. Definitely. However, I am not hoping for some seismic change in a niche sport. I'm not trying to fuck with something that's working and has been proven to work time after time. You put some on watchable shows (a couple big ones here and there) on Fox and keep the FS1 numbers consistent. Then you go from there because if you do that, you can get whatever you want most likely in the new TV deal. The PPV side will play out how it's going to play out. There is less you can control, but that's the risk and reward of it. 

• Like 1

I dunno if (Cris) Cyborg is just doing stuff for the sake of doing it, but it sounds like she might announce her next fight in the UFC soon. I would not be surprised if she landed on either (202 or Vancouver) of those cards.

• Like 1

Here is the TUF 24 cast:

The cast is as follows:

• Adam Antolin, 34, Tachi Palace champion from San Jose, California with an 11-3 record
  • Alexandre Pantoja, 26, RFA champion from Arraial Do Cabo, Brazil with a 16-2 record
  • Brandon Moreno, 22, World Fighting Federation champion from Tijuana, Mexico with an 11-3 record
  • Charlie Alaniz, 30, Hex Fight Series in Australia champion from Albuquerque, New Mexico with an 8-1 record
  • Damacio Page, 33, former UFC fighter and Legacy FC champion from Albuquerque, New Mexico with a 19-10 record
  • Eric Shelton, 25, Caged Aggression champion from Galesburg, Illinois with a 10-2 record
  • Hiromasa Ogikubo, 29, Shooto Japan champion from Chiba, Japan with a 15-3 record
  • Jaime Alvarez, 28, Absolute Fighting Championship champion from Coconut Creek, Florida with a 6-1 record
  • Kai Kara-France, 23, Bragging Rights in Australia champion from Auckland, New Zealand with a 12-5 (1 NC) record
  • Matt Rizzo, 30, Ring Of Combat champion from Levittown, Pennsylvania with a 9-2 record
  • Matt Schnell, 26, Legacy FC interim champion from Coconut Creek, Florida with a 9-2 record
  • Nkazimulo Zulu, 27, EFC in Africa champion from Tribal South, South Africa with a 7-2 record
  • Ronaldo Candido, 27, Shooto South America champion from San Jose dos Campos, Brazil with a 6-0 record
  • Terrence Mitchell, 26, Alaska FC champion from Anchorage, Alaska with an 11-2 record
  • Tim Elliott, 29, former UFC fighter and Titan FC champion from Lee's Summit, Missouri with a 16-6 record
  • Yoni Sherbatov, 27, XFFC champion from Montreal, Quebec, Canada with a 5-0-1 record

damn, each participant being a champion somewhere should be played up in the marketing. TUF 24: Gold Rush!

would also make sense for the winner to get a title shot. doubly so because Mighty Mouse has cleaned out his division pretty handily.
edit: i see that is already expected.

UFC 201 isn't for a bit, but they've already put Lawler vs McDonald 2 on their youtube as a UFC 201 Free Fight. 

How in the hell did Rory split Robbie's lip like that? It was gruesome as hell. And was far from the worst facial injury in the match.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AxB said:

UFC 201 isn't for a bit, but they've already put Lawler vs McDonald 2 on their youtube as a UFC 201 Free Fight. 

How in the hell did Rory split Robbie's lip like that? It was gruesome as hell. And was far from the worst facial injury in the match.

Cheers for this. Great fight. Not sure in regards to the question you pose. Sorry.

There's a big UFC event to come, the first in New York will take place in Madison Square Garden. A long time coming. The event takes place on the same date as UFC 1: The Beginning. Not long to go so hopefully we'll get word on the card. Native New Yorkers will be on it surely with Frankie Edgar and Chris Weidman.

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Aldo told Guilherme Cruz at the media day for Nova Uniao that he expects to fight McGregor at UFC 205 at MSG.

Yes please. UFC be hoping Conor McGregor doesn't take too much damage in the rematch with Nate Diaz at UFC 202.

If Ronda Rousey's going to fight since losing for the first time against Holly Holm at UFC 193, UFC 200 and UFC 205 are the two biggest UFC's this year. UFC 200's come and gone.

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I believe as of a few days ago, it was trending somewhere between 1.2 to 1.3 million. However, it's too early to tell right now.

22 minutes ago, Ace said:

If it's breaking 1.2, it's #3 behind UFC 100 and Aldo-v-Conor.

Cheers lads!

UFC 196: Conor vs Nate Diaz did 1.5 million so I believe it is currently #2 all time.

I think the rankings are:

1. UFC 100

2. UFC 196

3. UFC 200 or UFC 194 (depending on UFC 200 final numbers)

• Like 1