DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

52 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I mean unless he signed a ridiculous contract there is no way he will make what he did in WWE since he was in a main-event storyline at the time, especially if you subtract the cost of training for two years (not sure exactly when he started training full time). I meant just working any type of job in or out of wrestling. While he likely made enough in his five or so years on top of WWE (depending on when he signed a contract) to last the rest of his life, it would be a pretty... un-wrestler thing to do to save money that well, I tip my hat to him if he did save properly so he never has to work again but that would be far from the norm. I have no idea what his plans are past September, will be interesting to see what happens. My guess is this is more a Brock/football 'bucket list' thing (hoping to succeed but realizing the cards are stacked against you and not wasting too much time with it if it fails) then a new career path. So I'd be surprised if he gets killed in September (or whenever) and goes back to full time training for another fight next fall, but life is weird so who knows. Assuming UFC would still be interested if he looks like hot garbage.

It's wrestling so I still assume he will be back in WWE at some point, even if its just for one program or a non-road schedule. That he could do spot shows on the Indy circuit/signings for quick money and relax the other 330 days a year.

MMA training is costly, but it's not costly when you have money BEFORE ever doing MMA unlike 90% of the sport. From everything I heard about him, he has saved his money. Training at Roufusport isn't like some all exclusive thing. There are amateur fighters that train there who don't know what money looks like.

What did he make actually make in his final year in WWE? I'm hearing he can't make what he made there, but this dude ain't sign with the UFC for chicken scratch. I haven't watched WWE in a long ass time, but I remember he was a top guy but he wasn't the top guy. 

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

MMA training is costly, but it's not costly when you have money BEFORE ever doing MMA unlike 90% of the sport. From everything I heard about him, he has saved his money. Training at Roufusport isn't like some all exclusive thing. There are amateur fighters that train there who don't know what money looks like.

What did he make actually make in his final year in WWE? I'm hearing he can't make what he made there, but this dude ain't sign with the UFC for chicken scratch. I haven't watched WWE in a long ass time, but I remember he was a top guy but he wasn't the top guy. 

Top guys make a million+ a year base, before factoring in merchandise and  PPV bonuses (the latter of which can be substantial, like for a big WM match). I think for 2016, the wrestlers that had contracts over 1 million were Undertaker, Lesnar, Cena, Big Show, Randy Orton, and Sheamus (this was leaked info, they never announce it officially unless its a lawsuit or something), and Punk would have been in the lower end of that tier with his title runs (at one point he held the title for over 400 straight days, a 'modern day' record) and his storyline plan to beat HHH at WM right before he quit. So while his pay wasn't ever released, I can't imagine UFC is paying him over a million dollars for one fight. He probably lost at least a couple million dollars between his contract and bonuses since he quit.

Edit: According to this article, the contract he was on when he quit paid him 1.7 million a year plus bonuses. He was champion at the time so that would line up. Can't verify it but from different places it seems that would be the right ballpark for a main eventer.

17 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So while his pay wasn't ever released, I can't imagine UFC is paying him over a million dollars for one fight.

Yeah, he can make that for one fight with PPV points factored in. Hendo made 800k on the books for the Lombard fight. Punk is making more than that guaranteed. He will be fine.

However, I don't know if Punk was ever making a million dollars a year for WWE. 3/4 of a million probably when you take into account taxes and other expenses. If that's the case, he can make that easy for one fight with UFC.

41 minutes ago, Shawn411 said:

Is MMA training really that costly because most fighters obviously not making decent money in and out the UFC?

As for CM Punk, I am sure not being on the road 300 days of the year makes a BIG DIFFERENCE.

With Joanne Calderwood for example, I can see why a training camp would basically put her in the red because she is a low level fighter (meaning she isn't someone who is high on the payscale) who basically had to uproot from Scotland to train in Canada. Randa Markos is from Canada, and she decided to go back to Michigan Top Team instead of Tristar for the Jones-Lybarger fight.

I mean training at ATT most likely costs a ton, but they also have nice dorms and other resources that make it way more convenient than training miles away from home and then staying at an extended stay or rental. That's why you keep seeing dudes from virtually everywhere no matter what spot they're on the card with ATT coaches (Conan, Mike Brown, Katel Kubis, Parrumpinha) in their corner. 

R.I.P. Ryan Jimmo.

On 28/06/2016 at 1:32 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

I like this.

On 28/06/2016 at 2:37 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Looks like Condit has a fight.

11 hours ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Apparently Demian Maia, should make for a great one. 

I like this even more.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

So from this article, it seems like they just RAN HIM OVER because they had a brief verbal argument? What in the actual fuck?! 

Listening to the Observer show this morning, they didn't know Jimmo at all. Not that it makes it less heinous, but potentially spending life in prison and ending someone's life over something that should have been brushed off is something I don't even understand. You might be trying to put a scare into someone, but how dumb are you to not know how much a fucking vehicle weighs and the force it creates when it makes contact with something? No one with any sort of intelligence would chance that.

Looking at these guys, they don't seem like the type of dudes who are willing to do time behind bars or even have it in them. When you see these dudes are clearly not cut from that cloth, you realize how absolutely moronic this whole incident was.

• Like 1