DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Jan Blachowicz

what is #4 Gus doing fighting unranked Blachowicz?

i get that he wanted to fight on the card, but come on! how about OSP?

if you want an easier fight for him, look at the 10-15 guys. Cummins? Villante?

i was going to suggest a (seemingly) easy fight with an unranked guy that has *some* name recognition, but i see that Rafael Cavalcante has been cut from the UFC. Always expected more from him.

31 minutes ago, twiztor said:

what is #4 Gus doing fighting unranked Blachowicz?

Probably because Blachowicz is from Poland, and they wanted more Euro fighters on the card.  Poland is a lot closer to Germany than Orange County, California and Long Island. 

Also, I'm pretty sure OSP is still out from the injuries he got from the Jon Jones fight. He got really beat up.

Portal do Vale Tudo is reporting that Thiago Marreta is replacing Brunson against Mousasi. If that's the case, that may be a tougher fight for Mousasi.

Rumble had to pull out the Teixeira due to family reasons as reported by Brett Okamoto. He isn't expected to miss a significant amount of time.

I could see the UFC maybe giving Cirkunov the fight with Glover and doing that. I mean Bader was basically the number 1 contender and then Rumble dispatched of him easily. The Teixeira fight was just suppose to be a cherry on top fight so I mean...not exactly the worst thing that it doesn't take place now.

On 6/5/2016 at 10:44 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Looks like CM Punk vs. Mickey Gall is going to be on UFC 202. Punk is getting a reality show (set for August) on FS1 leading up to his first fight.

Looking like 203 now.

On 07/06/2016 at 8:10 AM, The Natural said:

We’re six months into 2016 and unless I’m forgetting someone, Fighter of the Year so far is between Michael Bisping and Dominick Cruz.

Michael Bisping beat Anderson Silva in a great fight from UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Bisping. Bisping is only the second man in UFC history to beat Anderson in the Octagon. Silva’s not what he was but he can still go. Luke Rockhold was scheduled to defend the UFC Middleweight Championship in a rematch against Chris Weidman at UFC 199 but Weidman pulled out due to injury. On 17 days notice Bisping took the fight, he lost to Rockhold by submission in their first fight. This was Michael’s first UFC title shot in all the time he’s fought in the UFC. At UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Bisping 2, Michael Bisping knocked Luke Rockhold out cold in the first round to become the new UFC Middleweight Champion, the first Briton to win a UFC title.

Dominick Cruz tears his ACL, the replacement didn’t take so he had to have it done again, then he goes and tears the ACL in his other knee. Dominick Cruz fought TJ Dillashaw for the UFC Bantamweight Championship, the title Cruz had to vacate at UFC Fight Night: Dillashaw vs. Cruz. Dominick won a split decision to regain the UFC Bantamweight Championship in a fight people scored either for Cruz or Dillashaw. I gave it to Cruz. In his first defense, Cruz  retained against his rival, Urijah Faber from UFC 199: Rockhold vs.Bisping 2 by decision winning the trilogy 2-1. The greatest MMA comeback story ever. Dominick Cruz is so mentally tough.

Michael Bisping gets my vote.

Other contenders:

Stipe Miocic beating Andrei Arlovski at UFC 195 in the first and then putting out Fabricio Werdum for the UFC Heavyweight Championship at UFC 198.

Stephen Thompson is the first man to finish Johnny Hendricks early in the first round at UFC Fight Night: Hendricks vs. Thompson and a decision win over Rory MacDonald at UFC Fight Night: MacDonald vs. Thompson.

I'm still going with Michael Bisping.

48 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So I would say have Bryan Caraway fighting Dominick Cruz next since it doesn't appear that they are pulling the trigger on Cody Garbrandt next.  Unless they are thinking Dillashaw/Assuncao winner.

I would say it's gonna be the Dillashaw/Assuncao winner.

According to Greg Savage on Twitter a couple days ago, it was gonna be Garbrandt vs. Caraway at 203. Somehow, that turned into Caraway fighting Mizugaki at 202. So I'm guessing Caraway gave an emphatic no still. I don't think turning down a defacto title eliminator is gonna get you a title shot.

Was Punk paid anything by UFC up front to get him to sign for the publicity? He hasn't wrestled in 2.5 years so he hasn't been making significant money, and while he made a lot in WWE which hopefully he saved, he also has had to pay for world-class caliber training all this time. If he does one fight, gets killed, and UFC has no need for him anymore it would seem he would have lost a good amount of money in the deal unless UFC really paid him a lot of money, especially factoring in money he could have been making all this time working instead of paying for training. Obviously a unique situation on many accounts, I know we'll find out his official 'fight pay' after he finally fights (assuming he does) but that wouldn't give all the details of what UFC may have already paid him.

They probably paid him something upfront, but I doubt it. The UFC doesn't do the stipend thing that I believe Strikeforce did for a few fighters or what ATT does for younger prospects. They don't do signing bonuses.

Will one UFC fight offset what he would have made in WWE? I dunno, but the guy doesn't want to wrestle. So I mean if the money was so important, he would be on the road. However, he doesn't have to be so he isn't.

I mean unless he signed a ridiculous contract there is no way he will make what he did in WWE since he was in a main-event storyline at the time, especially if you subtract the cost of training for two years (not sure exactly when he started training full time). I meant just working any type of job in or out of wrestling. While he likely made enough in his five or so years on top of WWE (depending on when he signed a contract) to last the rest of his life, it would be a pretty... un-wrestler thing to do to save money that well, I tip my hat to him if he did save properly so he never has to work again but that would be far from the norm. I have no idea what his plans are past September, will be interesting to see what happens. My guess is this is more a Brock/football 'bucket list' thing (hoping to succeed but realizing the cards are stacked against you and not wasting too much time with it if it fails) then a new career path. So I'd be surprised if he gets killed in September (or whenever) and goes back to full time training for another fight next fall, but life is weird so who knows. Assuming UFC would still be interested if he looks like hot garbage.

It's wrestling so I still assume he will be back in WWE at some point, even if its just for one program or a non-road schedule. That he could do spot shows on the Indy circuit/signings for quick money and relax the other 330 days a year.