DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Oh my goodness. So gigantic douchebag Brendan Schaub and Bryan Callen decided to do an AMA on Reddit.

They got savaged.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4o3q9m/we_are_brendan_and_bryan_from_the_fighter_and_the/

My favorite question:

Hey guys, huge fan of the show. I have a brain injury just like Brandon so it's great to see someone breaking down barriers for us!

My question is for Brandon, what was it about retiring from UFC that made you decide to finally get fit and start losing the puppy fat? I myself have trouble with my weight so am excited to see what motivates my hero.

• Like 1

Funny how I seen a Guilherme Cruz story yesterday where Do Bronx was mad he hasn't been offered a fight since his last one.

Well, he is facing Anthony Pettis on 8/27 in Vancouver, BC on a Fox card.

Looks like there will be five Fox cards this year.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Will Brooks is now free to sign with any promotion.

Just as free agency begins for Will Brooks, it ends. Signed an eight fight deal with the UFC. Will fight Ross Pearson on the TUF 23 Finale on 7/8. Good introductory fight.

23 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Funny how I seen a Guilherme Cruz story yesterday where Do Bronx was mad he hasn't been offered a fight since his last one.

Well, he is facing Anthony Pettis on 8/27 in Vancouver, BC on a Fox card.

Looks like there will be five Fox cards this year.

Oh shit, I may try to go to this if tickets aren't exorbitant. Do Bronx is one of my favourites.

That has the potential to be a crazy matchup if Pettis has a good weight cut.

It could also turn into, "oh shit, Do Bronx has his back! How the fuck did that happen?"

Nothing shocks me when it comes to an Anthony Pettis fight now.

Supposedly, the bids for the UFC are being opened today. It is likely that the owners of the UFC will get what they want. The rumor going around is that Dana will sell his portion (he could get up to $360 million), and the new owners will let him retain stock in the company and stick around. 

16 minutes ago, Craig H said:

So they are doing a full sale then. I wonder what Dana would do if he's allowed to stick around.

Yep, 100%.

My belief is that the fact Dana isn't going to all these shows (he missed the stadium show last month) pretty much means whatever capacity or role he has is going to be headquarter based. Meltzer made a reference to the fact that his kids are growing up and getting into sports. Hard to follow their careers if you're spending the majority of the week in the air or just somewhere else. 

30 minutes ago, Shawn411 said:

I like the idea that WME and Wanda will come together. Sounds like the best of both worlds. Plus, with Dana possibly staying and nothing else really changing, looks like good news for the UFC.

If the Ali Act for MMA passes, I don't think WME will be able to represent Ronda Rousey and own the UFC.