DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

10 minutes ago, Shawn411 said:

He barely beat an old Anderson Silva. After the fight, Bisping look like he was the one that loss.

I agree Anderson Silva isn't what he was and if you asked someone who didn't watch the fight who lost, they would say Bisping as facially he was a mess. Still Michael is only the second man to defeat Anderson in the UFC with THAT run Silva had. This is going to be The Count's best claim to getting that title shot 'cause when Bisping needed to win against the big names previously, he lost.

42 minutes ago, The Natural said:

This is going to be The Count's best claim to getting that title shot 'cause when Bisping needed to win against guys on steroids and HGH previously, he lost*.

ftfy.

* Except Chris Leben, who he beat.

• Like 1

Some notable fights announced on UFC Tonight:

UFC Fight Night 91: Ferguson vs. Chiesa gets a co-main event of John Lineker vs. Michael McDonald.

UFC 201: Lawler vs. Woodley gets a co-main event of Demetrious Johnson defending his belt against Wilson Reis. Also, on the same card, Cris Cyborg fighting Germaine de Randamie at a catchweight potentially could be added.

FWIW, DJ basically has three title fights set up. He fights Reis on 7/30, the winner of TUF on 12/3, and the winner of Benavidez vs. Cejudo early next year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twiztor said:

still waiting for word on CM Punk's UFC debut. i've heard talk of 202 being the new target, but i can't help but wonder how much the hype has cooled off.

If he actually ends up fighting, it won't matter how much the hype has cooled off. Considering how someone like Lashley still has a certain number of people watching his fights despite never being the star Punk was, I don't doubt folks will still be intrigued. It's just a matter of turning "if" into "when".

Now if it is 200, 201, or 202, I haven't heard any talk of anything specific since he suffered his last injury.

Two news notes with one being small and the other being potentially big:

- WSOF signed Phil Hawes. It's clear based on his fight to get in the house on this season of TUF, he needs some time to develop. Hopefully, they can get some decent fights for him.

- The UFC sale is for a majority stake in the company (if not the entire thing), and the bidding process is sealed. There is no date for when the bids will be revealed, but it might be really soon. There is no guarantee the sale will go through, but that's what it is going right now.

WME/IMG represents Rousey among other notable top athletes.

FWIW Blackstone is not considering a bid.

The guy who runs Kunlun Fight is reportedly involved with one of the Chinese groups that is bidding.

Tarec Saffiedine suffered a cut on his knee in training and has a bit of swelling. He's going to see the doctor tomorrow, but he is most likely off the card for next Sunday. The UFC is seeking a replacement for Story. However, it sounds like it's not all that serious and the fight may get moved to another upcoming card if they don't find a replacement.

On 5/22/2016 at 1:03 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Tarec Saffiedine suffered a cut on his knee in training and has a bit of swelling. He's going to see the doctor tomorrow, but he is most likely off the card for next Sunday. The UFC is seeking a replacement for Story. However, it sounds like it's not all that serious and the fight may get moved to another upcoming card if they don't find a replacement.

Saffiedine said on the MMA Hour today that he's been cleared by doctors to fight on the card, so it looks like he's good to go.

Fight Pass is doing a six part "Where Are They Now? series with ex TUF contestants Luke Cummo, Noah Inhofer, Din Thomas, Tait Fletcher, Bobby Southworth, and Shonie Carter. All the episodes will be available on 5/26 (Thursday).

when i heard that show announced i was looking forward to it. i was hoping it was stars from the early days. i'll probably check out the Din Thomas and Shonie Carter episodes. was there a big demand for a Noah Inhofer or Tait Fletcher return?

I think they are doing them on people who were on the first seasons of TUF rather than who was sort of a half decent fighter back 10 or so years ago. Sherdog use to do stuff like this with other people (including some of the folks in these six episodes) on TUF in like 05, 06, and 07.

Shonie and Din just happen to have been in the comeback season. I think once they get finished with the next go round of episodes, they might focus primarily on ex UFC stars.