DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

16 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Flyweight women's division here we come!

I think it's pretty much an inevitability that they will have more weight divisions for the female fighters at some point. And 125 is the logical next one, because they have fighters on the roster now who are too big for 115 and too small for 135... but they don't like to launch divisions unless they have a figurehead for that division (whether that person ends up as champion or not; They really wanted Rose to win the TUF tournament at 115). So I can see them running a few 125 lb women's fights here and there, before they actually crown a champion. Like between 2003 and 06, they had no Lightweight Champion, but they would still let people fight at 155 sometimes.

If the UFC decides to do 125, that would pretty pull the carpet out from Bellator's plans especially if they're both competing for a small pool of talent. Without Cyborg (or Gina), it pretty much put a bow on Bellator's plans on featherweight. You can tell that by Coenen vs. Budd being a title fight on the prelims. With there being people dropping down from bantamweight (D'Alelio and Roxy) and a couple other prominent 125ers in Invicta, the UFC would pretty much have first dibs. They don't want flyweight because it's too shallow. However, if it means blowing up Bellator's plans (like putting Cyborg on random UFC cards going forward), then they will gladly do that.

This is more fly in the ointment than trying to do something build future talent.

Amir Khan reckons that after his match with Canelo Alvarez, he's going to try MMA. He says he's training MMA a bit already, to prepare for the big(ger) Mexican's rough style. Oh, and he co-owns an Indian MMA promotion that he says is the number 3 show in the USA, behind UFC and Bellator.

Guest Edwin
36 minutes ago, AxB said:

Amir Khan reckons that after his match with Canelo Alvarez, he's going to try MMA. He says he's training MMA a bit already, to prepare for the big(ger) Mexican's rough style. Oh, and he co-owns an Indian MMA promotion that he says is the number 3 show in the USA, behind UFC and Bellator.

SFL?? I had no idea. They've provided some hilarity. I remember they had an event featuring India vs. Pakistan and it was hilarious.

SFL in a nutshell:

Realistically, yeah, it's not happening. But he did say it:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/30/amir-khan-canelo-alvarez-las-vegas-mma-switch

Khan looked on intently as he ponders a future inside the octagon instead of the ring. Not only has he already bought a stake in an MMA company, but Khan has adopted some of the sport’s training techniques as he anticipates a rough, physical encounter against the bigger man in the Mexican Álvarez.

“Can I kick hard?” he grinned. “I’ll try it out on you later and you can tell me. I have a stake in a company called Super Fight League, which is an MMA company in India and we have a lot of shows in Dubai, too. We are now moving over into America and putting on shows there.

“Bellator and UFC are the two main MMA companies, we’re probably third after those two. I’ve always been a UFC fan and I like McGregor and the way he promotes it. If I was to fight the champion around 147lb I would fancy my chances. You never know what will happen in the future – I would never say ‘no’ to getting into MMA. I could do it under my own banner and what a way to do it. My speed would be perfect, it’s hit and move.

Just spoke to @glennauthentic: Jordan Parsons had to have his full right leg amputated last night. His organs were starting to fail ...

And his heart was only working at 20%. He's currently having heart surgery and that should last another hour or so, per Robinson.

The Parsons thing is extremely sad. He went from fighting on a TV card next week to losing his leg to fighting for his life.

XFC Brazil flyweight champion Poliana Botelho posted her signing a UFC contract on her instagram. Not sure if she is going down to 115 or we're going to be seeing more flyweight fights.

Some UFC on Fox Chicago card fights: Alex Oliveira vs. James Moontasri, Felice Herrig vs. Kailin Curran, and Eddie Wineland vs. Frankie Saenz. 

Since Paige VanZant has been so successful on DWTS, her return has been pushed to late August.