DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

20 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I've seen this at jobs before (although obviously on a much smaller scale). An employee that brings in the company a lot of money so they get some leeway, and they push it and push it until finally the company gets tired of it and everything explodes. Up to this point Conor has gotten the quick push and full backing of the promotion (not saying unjustified, that is another debate) and this is probably the first time he has been told no and to do what he is told or else. Doesn't mean it isn't a fixable situation and I am sure that they will get back on the same page, but it may be awkward for a few months.

Well said. We agree.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So there is that. Nothing from UFC yet.

He isn't back on the card.

Anyway, Paddy Holohan has announced his retirement due to a blood disorder.

I'm probably in the minority here but I have absolutely zero interest in that fight. Already know how the fight is going to end and I don't particularly like either guy. If it ended in a double knockout that would be the best outcome for me. 

I mean...what Jon Jones fight do you not know the ending to? The only thing that changes perhaps is his method of victory.

It's honestly going to divide the fan base anyway. 50% are going to be down with it since it was good fight the first time, 15% are going to hate it regardless, and 35% are going to hate out of resentment for Conor not being on the card. In the end, should the card and main event hold up, I think a significant number of people (a million or higher) buy the PPV during the moment of truth, which is fight week or the last four days before. It has happened pretty much everytime before a major PPV especially in the last two years.

All they did was essentially swap main events. That is assuming that McGregor still desires to fight after basically losing a public negotiation he decided to make public.

I wouldn't read too much into that, whether he was serious or not. The only thing that matter is timing. You can say anything about a card that's seven months out. At the very earliest, you probably hear something concrete by late May or early June. But April? Yeah, that's something else entirely.

I think he might not fight on the card other reasons. If McGregor decides to fight in August or September, that would probably rule him out for November because you can't call a quick turnaround just like that and the UFC likes to book main events before a certain timeframe. Another one is that they could already have something earmarked for that event and probably wouldn't make sense to just throw McGregor on there for the hell of it.  I went over a lot of options that they have two weeks ago. Any combo of those easily makes a compelling first show for NYS.

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I mean...what Jon Jones fight do you not know the ending to? The only thing that changes perhaps is his method of victory.

It's honestly going to divide the fan base anyway. 50% are going to be down with it since it was good fight the first time, 15% are going to hate it regardless, and 35% are going to hate out of resentment for Conor not being on the card. In the end, should the card and main event hold up, I think a significant number of people (a million or higher) buy the PPV during the moment of truth, which is fight week or the last four days before. It has happened pretty much everytime before a major PPV especially in the last two years.

That's why I'm not interested in most Jon Jones fights.  This one in particular because they already fought and I can't see any way that DC can beat Jon unless Jon is injured or way out of shape.  I was interested in his first few title fights- especially Shogun and Machida.  If anyone I thought Machida had the best chance at the time because he could be so evasive.  But since then I haven't really thought any of the challengers posed a serious threat until the Gustafsson fight happened which I initially thought he'd get steamrolled as well.  I'd be interested in seeing Jones fight Rumble but outside of him that's about it.   Heavyweight is where the interesting fights are in my opinion for Jon Jones. 

Fair enough. For me, this little quasi four man tournament (should Teixeira vs. Rumble happen this summer as well) is the path to that.  So for him to beat Cormier, who I believe could also whoop on most heavyweights still, again and then probably beat Rumble to cement him cleaning out the division is special to me. It's different than what Mighty Mouse did because that was circumstances beyond his control that didn't make it favorable for his legacy. That can only look good on paper if dudes like Horiguchi and Cejudo wreck shop years down the line.  Jones, on other hand, would've pretty much beat multiple generations of light heavyweights (including folks who had success at middleweight and heavyweight) and did it all without that much trouble save for one fight (and pending what could happen against Rumble). So if going forward with Cormier again to get the title back brings those potential HW matchups, I am down for that.

Valerie Letourneau will fight Joanne Calderwood on the UFC Ottawa card at 125 lbs. They're supposedly not starting a new division, but could be experimenting with allowing the females to have fights outside their division.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Valerie Letourneau will fight Joanne Calderwood on the UFC Ottawa card at 125 lbs. They're supposedly not starting a new division, but could be experimenting with allowing the females to have fights outside their division.

Flyweight women's division here we come!