DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

22 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:
Nothing official and hearing UFC likely won't make statement today, but my McGregor/200 gauge has risen from 50/50 to 60/40 he'll fight.

Meh, the dialogue constantly changes.  A couple days ago, it was the that the tweet was 100 percent not a joke and McGregor was shaken by the death of Carvalho.

On April 21, 2016 at 2:29 PM, TheVileOne said:

McGregor is the one that talks about changing the game and running the business.  If he's serious about that, he can't just say no mas. 

We all have parts of our job or social functions we don't really like doing but we have to do them anyway.  

I think this is the fundamental disagreement I have with your point of view.  A lot of different factors are in play in this situation, but lack of promotion isn't one of them. He might not want to fly to some press events, but UFC 200 is being sold as we speak.  

Any chance they announce a new main event today (in about 10 minutes) when the UFC 200 press conference starts? Some pictures are popping up on Reddit and Twitter from inside, and the two most prominent seats at the tables don't have nameplates for them. Nate is backstage supposedly too.

Yeah, he hasn't made the company 400 million in 8 months.

Cliff notes on the presser:

- Claudia may or may not have told Joanna to fist herself.

- Conor is definitely off UFC 200. Nate may or may not be off.

- Cain Velasquez should work on his standup routine.

- DC vs. JBJ II looks like the new main event for 200 should Jones emerge victorious tomorrow night.

Ufc might actually benefit from Conor off 200. 200 will do big numbers regardless, maybe not record breaking numbers but I can see 800k-1 million. Add Conor return to any Ufc ppv between 201-204 and you guaranteed another million buys. And then Ufc 205 aka MSG will be another million plus maybe two million if they do Rousey vs Holms. 

2 hours ago, Jrag said:

I think this is the fundamental disagreement I have with your point of view.  A lot of different factors are in play in this situation, but lack of promotion isn't one of them. He might not want to fly to some press events, but UFC 200 is being sold as we speak.  

The media obligations are in his contract.  He technically already agreed to do them.  I see it as the same thing as having to make weight.  It's his job.

I don't know where I stand on the McGregor issue really - I've said before that I'm not as into MMA as some of you other guys - but he's doing the same amount of press for the Diaz rematch from Iceland on his Twitter account as he would if he was in Vegas at the press conference. I get that it's in his contract, or whatever, but all this drama is selling whatever card that match ends up on tenfold. In my circle of friends, people that don't even watch were asking me if I heard about the McGregor retirement thing and what's it all about, etc.

I highly enjoyed the first episode of TUF, first time watching since the strawweights season. Aside from Khalil, I think my favorite performance was Lanchana Green bouncing back in the second round to absolutely destroy Ashley Cummins with vicious knees, super impressive. JJ Aldrich looked good. Was bummed that my favorite going in Amy Montenegro didn't make it. Love all things Joanna Champion, her and Claudia's interaction throughout the season is going to be classic.

26 minutes ago, Casey said:

I don't know where I stand on the McGregor issue really - I've said before that I'm not as into MMA as some of you other guys - but he's doing the same amount of press for the Diaz rematch from Iceland on his Twitter account as he would if he was in Vegas at the press conference. I get that it's in his contract, or whatever, but all this drama is selling whatever card that match ends up on tenfold. In my circle of friends, people that don't even watch were asking me if I heard about the McGregor retirement thing and what's it all about, etc.

..Except if he didn't falsely retired on Twitter, he would have done no press at all.

It's meaningless now because they weren't going to allow him to do it anyway. They already had the film crew in Vegas to shoot the commercial. They decided if he didn't want to go to Vegas, he didn't have to come. Thus, he was taken off the card.

Keep in mind, Conor lost a big payday too. He could've perhaps had 3 or possibly 4 of them this calendar year. If he fights in September or October, it will only be two.

Guest Edwin

Not that anyone really cares, but some interesting stuff from the DEEP card last night.

Nam Phan got submitted in 35 seconds by Masakazu Imanari by guess what... Heel Hook...

Yuki Motoya vacated the DEEP Flyweight Title he's had forever and will be leaving the DEEP ring and cage to focus on fighting in RIZIN. Tatsumitsu Wada and Yuya "MONKEY" Shibata will be fighting for it at their DEEP 76 IMPACT show in June.

Gabi Garcia and Katsunori Kikuno were in attendance. Kikuno said he would be fighting at the DEEP 76 IMPACT card which means he's been let go by the UFC.

Kikuno is a fun throwback fighter, but his style was too easy to exploit for anyone above average. It didn't really fit in modern UFC. However, he did get have a nice little run in the UFC unlike some of his counterparts. 

Meltzer said Conor and Lorenzo had a big blowup way before the Conor tweet. Dana is literally not involved in the decision.

Meltzer claimed the $400 million is wayyyyy off and more like $100 million.

Now I know why Ufc is not sweating. Especially if somehow they can get Jones vs DC.

I've seen this at jobs before (although obviously on a much smaller scale). An employee that brings in the company a lot of money so they get some leeway, and they push it and push it until finally the company gets tired of it and everything explodes. Up to this point Conor has gotten the quick push and full backing of the promotion (not saying unjustified, that is another debate) and this is probably the first time he has been told no and to do what he is told or else. Doesn't mean it isn't a fixable situation and I am sure that they will get back on the same page, but it may be awkward for a few months.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I've seen this at jobs before (although obviously on a much smaller scale). An employee that brings in the company a lot of money so they get some leeway, and they push it and push it until finally the company gets tired of it and everything explodes. Up to this point Conor has gotten the quick push and full backing of the promotion (not saying unjustified, that is another debate) and this is probably the first time he has been told no and to do what he is told or else. Doesn't mean it isn't a fixable situation and I am sure that they will get back on the same page, but it may be awkward for a few months.

Well said. We agree.

• Like 1