DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

4 minutes ago, Mistah Na1m4rk said:

Acknowledge you are a narcissistic fraud and a huckster who was awarded his position through cronysim and retire.

Cronysim? I have that album.

Well, they got eyeballs on UFC 200. Everyone has been covering it. With that said, the purpose of promotion is being able to keep them on that. Today's promotion is done through sound bytes and media coverage.  So a press conference without McGregor is basically throwing a lavish birthday party without the birthday boy. Even though I do believe someone like Joanna can shine in occasions like this and be the saving grace. However, honestly, they come to see McGregor work his magic.

According to TMZ, McGregor vs. Diaz II is officially cancelled. Their report says the UFC offered to fly every gym piece equipment from Iceland to Vegas so he can train. Their report also says that the UFC drug testing policy states that a fighter has to wait 4 months before un-retiring, thus why Conor changed course so fast. If and when he returns, he has to fight either Jose Aldo or Frankie Edgar.

I believe Helwani is going to have a Breaking News vid for MMA Fighting shortly.

Not sure if they didn't try to make some compromises or not, but I really see no side of McGregor's position here.  So basically his retirement line was likely a dumb hoax.  He's the one that apparently asked for this rematch.  He can't just suddenly decide he's done with the promoting game.  McGregor doing a large share of the promoting duties is part of why his fights sold so well.  I don't get why he's upset about it now.  

Are promotional duties not under the purview of their contracts or bout agreements?  

To be clear, I'm not upset about losing Diaz/McGregor II at all.  It was a dumb match-up IMHO, especially at welterweight. McGregor is NOT a welterweight

Yeah, obviously promotion is part of the contracts.

But I agree with a lot of what Conor is saying. Thing is...it isn't anything we don't know. If Meltzer is right in saying that he is upset with Aldo and how that went down, the UFC made a big concession right there with another fighter. They usually never let fighters skip out on pressers in the middle of them. Aldo went to promote a fight even though he wanted to be somewhere else for a wedding. Both sides got what they wanted. Now whether Aldo chose to saying anything about the fight is ultimately up to him. That's not on the UFC. You can be at a press conference and do what Marshawn Lynch did at last year's SuperBowl media week if you want. Ain't anything in the world stopping you from doing that. Keep in mind, they did drag Aldo around the world to basically get verbally abused everywhere he went, whether it was by Conor or drunk fans.

In addition, it's pretty odd that some of the same journalists and MMA regulars who were readily criticizing McGregor chilling in a Fertitta mansion and hanging out with Dana and Lorenzo in his attempts to live the life up are now the same ones cheering on McGregor asking for preferential treatment. 

The MMA community is weird as shit.

I think at some point this needed to happen from the Zuffa side of things at least from their point of view which I can understand.  It certainly seems like they've put themselves in a position previously of giving Conor whatever he wanted and when it was crunch time he did return the favor by being up for a fight when the original opponent was no longer available.  He's just got to realize the timing of doing what he does.  Obviously it's not going to work to his advantage when the fight is still months away and it happens to be the biggest show of the year.  Hopefully they can figure it out.  I was looking forward to the fight (and the promotion of the fight).

So they apparently let Aldo skip out on one press conference to go to a wedding.  IMHO that's a little different than what's going on here.  If McGregor had a wedding to go to I imagine they would accommodate that.  McGregor was more important to that fight than Aldo was.

McGregor is the one that talks about changing the game and running the business.  If he's serious about that, he can't just say no mas. 

We all have parts of our job or social functions we don't really like doing but we have to do them anyway.  It's part of life.  Actors have to promote a film and do media tours for things they work on.   Even if they are bad movies or roles they just took for a quick paycheck.  They still go to the press conference where they answer the same questions repeatedly for hours and look miserable.  But they still go out there and do it.  

McGregor whining about how Aldo did this once sounds like childish, diva behavior.   

2 minutes ago, Mistah Na1m4rk said:

"Cokehead willing to do things others won't."  Least interesting headline ever.

Considering how others have dogged McGregor for standing up (many without even knowing the legit reason), Jon should be getting props for backing Conor.

In hindsight , if that fight (DC vs. JBJ) does go down at 200, it was going to happen sooner rather than later. Although, Cormier's leg is touch and go.

I just think it's interesting that Jon is playing both sides. He did ask his coaches before he took OSP as a replacement. So he can pretty much be a baby face by saving multiple shows like a certain Irish fighter. 

Dude throws his entire body into his punches. Horrifying. Definitely needs to work on his takedown defence, ground positioning, and submission defence, probably shorten up on his strikes so he doesn't get countered into oblivion like Aldo too, but gotdamn. Dereese had nothing standing up, but fuck those kicks were awesome. I don't know why more guys do that, because it'll kick the life out of an opponent who's already hurt. His stamina was good, as he wasn't breathing heavily after getting smothered for the better part of five minutes. He's a bit of a throwback in that he's pretty one dimensional but what a dimension. And he's got the power to open up some 3d holes on the human skull.

It was nice that he didn't panic and stayed calm the entire fight regardless of how bad of a position he was in. That's promising and shows he's at least working on grappling/sub defence. 

Also digging the Creed stache. I've been waiting for this guy to get his shot for a few years now and am very excited to see how it plays out! Dana loves him, of course.

Guest Edwin

Sucks Mo DeReese lost. He's a local fighter from Florida. I saw him steamroll some dude with a losing record in Orlando a couple of years ago. Despite that, he's still a good, young fighter.

Good times...

Speaking of Florida, I get to watch Krazy Horse fight some local I'm not aware of next month, so that should be fun.

DeReese doesn't look like a bad fighter. Just got a raw deal when it came to that matchup. He could have probably beaten 3 dudes that made it in.

Rountree ain't the type of dude you want to be facing on zero notice.