DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Can someone explain to certain stupid people in the media that legalizing and regulating MMA makes it much safer for the fighters. A certain newspaper idiot used the death in Ireland to condemn NYS legalizing MMA but isn't smart enough to know there is a total lack of regulation in Ireland. 

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

Can someone explain to certain stupid people in the media that legalizing and regulating MMA makes it much safer for the fighters. A certain newspaper idiot used the death in Ireland to condemn NYS legalizing MMA but isn't smart enough to know there is a total lack of regulation in Ireland. 

Basically anytime you have someone not up on the sport try to discuss it, it's basically the sports equivalent of "Just Say Stuff". For instance, the lady who wrote the article this week saying Gov. Cuomo should veto the MMA bill. In the beginning of her article, she states something to the effect that the concussion studies surrounding the NFL is in its infancy (which is very much wrong unless this lady knows some 22 or 23 year old infants) and then totally skips over football. Yet, for a sport that has been around since 1993 and only formally around since 2000/2001 in terms of a uniform ruleset and weight classes, she can find "experts" on fighter safety. What...in...the...fuck?

Trying to factcheck these people is meaningless because you're arguing with folks that are completely unreasonable and aren't trying to put together a credible argument.

FWIW Damon Martin is still hearing that Lawler is suppose to be on UFC 200. So I'm guessing they're trying to hammer out the GSP situation. If they can't, then I'm assuming Condit is the backup.

Isn't the main holdup in the GSP situation the sponsors issue? If they allow him to have sponsors, but all these other fighters can't, won't that cause a backlash within the UFC? Or do you think most fighters will just fall in line and not say anything? I get that GSP is a big draw and whatnot, but that really doesn't seem fair.

If that's the main issue that's keeping him from returning. That's what I keep reading, anyway.

He's not getting sponsors unless he can get one of those UFC approved sponsors (Bud Light, Harley Davidson, Toyo Tires, etc.) and manage to get most of that money instead of it going to the UFC. He's going to have to settle for more money upfront or a bigger cut of the PPV.

Do you think GSP is willing to drop his sponsorships with Under Armor and Gatorade and whatnot just to come back for a few fights and maybe get all of what you just said? Serious question, I'm a very casual MMA fan so I don't really know. From what I've read the past few years, that always seems to be his main sticking point - he doesn't want to drop HIS sponsors. I mean, sure, if he can get any of the UFC approved ones and get more of that money to go to him instead, maybe that'll make him feel comfortable - but won't it cause a stir with other people? Especially the draws around right now that aren't getting that kind of preferred treatment? I'm thinking the McGregor's of the UFC that seemingly want the world on a platter. If GSP gets it, won't certain others expect it too?

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

Do you think GSP is willing to drop his sponsorships with Under Armor and Gatorade and whatnot just to come back for a few fights and maybe get all of what you just said? Serious question, I'm a very casual MMA fan so I don't really know. From what I've read the past few years, that always seems to be his main sticking point - he doesn't want to drop HIS sponsors. I mean, sure, if he can get any of the UFC approved ones and get more of that money to go to him instead, maybe that'll make him feel comfortable - but won't it cause a stir with other people? Especially the draws around right now that aren't getting that kind of preferred treatment? I'm thinking the McGregor's of the UFC that seemingly want the world on a platter. If GSP gets it, won't certain others expect it too?

The thing is I don't ever remember him having a Gatorade patch on his shorts. I remember Jon wearing one against Gustafsson, but not GSP.  With that said, I don't think his sponsors are going to drop him. Logic says if they didn't drop him in the space where he spent 2 and 1/2 years not fighting (with 18 months of that being able to wear sponsors and advertise), why would they drop him when he is fighting? Remember, the UA Twitter account spoiled the fact that he was coming back if I'm not mistaken. If they did that, they can't be too upset he is wearing Reebok. 

Another thing is that the fact they have a contract with Reebok, which supersedes everything else. Even if they wanted to allow him to wear Under Armour, it would break their contract with Reebok and that would put them at legal risk. That was a done deal when they signed it. So yeah, that shit ain't happening. Now Gatorade and any non-competing sponsor he has might be a different story altogether. Gatorade is super iffy because that falls under the energy drink category, and they signed a deal last March with Monster Energy. 

Ok, we can put Lawler vs. GSP to bed for now.

While at the RFA show tonight, Dana announced that Lawler is defending his title against Woodley at either UFC 201 or 202.

So it's superfight or tuneup for GSP.

Guest Edwin

Fedor's fighting Fabio Maldonado in June. I'm sure Elsalvaje is thrilled...

Also Huggy Bear missed the 265 lb. limit by 36 lbs. weighing in at 301 lbs. for his fight against Baby Fedor who weighed in at 259 lbs. Baby Fedor accepted to take the fight at open weight.

8 minutes ago, grizzlyedwin said:

Fedor's fighting Fabio Maldonado in June. I'm sure Elsalvaje is thrilled...

Also Huggy Bear missed the 265 lb. limit by 36 lbs. weighing in at 301 lbs. for his fight against Baby Fedor who weighed in at 259 lbs. Baby Fedor accepted to take the fight at open weight.

You damn right! FABOLOUS FABBY BRAWLGAME IS BACK!

By the way, even though it's being called a RIZIN bout, it should be on Fight Pass if it's a Fight Nights event. That would certainly be more convenient than having to track down some off brand Russian stream. 

Guest Edwin

I think it will be on Fight Pass. I know someone mentioned on Sherdog they were promoting Fedor fighting on that card on Fight Pass.

Speaking of Fight Pass, they seemed to drop the Shooto stream for the upcoming event for some reason.

Not sure anyone cares, but there's no stream available for tonights RIZIN event available yet. Hopefully one will come up before hand.

Based on some evidence laying around now and interviews, it seems like UFC 205 could be the biggest PPV and event in UFC and MMA history (breaking whatever records 200 breaks).

You got:

- Rousey's return vs. the winner of Tate/Nunes (which Dana stands firm on even though he would be fine with Tate squeezing another title defense in if she's healthy)

- Cormier/Jones II (if Cormier plays ball and waits until November instead of September/October)

- Khabib Nurmagomedov challenging the winner of RDA/Alvarez

- A potential rubber match between Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman should Weidman prevail in Los Angeles. The winner could also fight the winner of Jacare/Belfort or Yoel Romero

- GSP's return in a potential superfight or a title fight against the winner of Lawler/Woodley

We ain't even talked about possible breakout fights for local, rising fighters like Aljamain Sterling, Jimmie Rivera, Al Iaquinta, or Chris Wade. Even throw Lyman Good in there since TSMMA guys sell plenty of tickets.

It seems like less of a hassle with timing for this show because they can mix and match and still come up with a surefire candidate for event of the year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Considering the post just 22 hours before was about getting in some training, I don't think this means immediate retirement, but we'll see.

I don't either. It's one of 3 things.

1) Epic Troll on his part
2) Renewed Contract Negotiations since he's the headliner of the company's biggest show ever.
3) He injured himself within the last 24 hours and is pretty bummed about it.