DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Yeah, they were going at it for awhile yesterday. Daniel being called a pussy also seems to have really gotten under his skin because shithead Snowden made a stink about getting blocked for it.

Snowden blocked me because I drew attention to the fact that he said that he wasn't afraid of fighters because he had a gun. 

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Joseph Benavidez will not be happy about that.

Who gives a fuck though? You got to win at least one fight for it to be a rubber match. That or be the champion.

Anyway, I am glad that they aren't giving Louis Smolka or Scoggins that same treatment that Horiguchi got (and Cejudo might get). Although, if there are dudes like Bibulatov, Pantoja, and some of these top American regional fighters, that's going to be some true baptism by fire type shit.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I just think The Ultimate Fighter has played itself out, and I doubt they are going to find some exceptional flyweights who aren't already in the UFC.  

Not everyone in the UFC is exceptional. Dude, Chris Cariaso and John Moraga (who is pretty decent as a fighter) got title shots. Makovsky was on the verge of a title shot. With flyweight, it's basically the same as the WEC lightweights. Some of these dudes just don't have the platform. Sure, you're going to get your Darrell Montagues who can only beast on the Tachi level. That's MMA though and happens in every division. Dudes like Magomed Bibulatov and Alexandre Pantoja can't beat Ian McCall, a dude who hasn't won a fight in two years? Really, that's what we're saying now? Dustin Ortiz is losing to Wilson Reis in the year 2016, but no one outside the UFC can beat him?  Are you not well?

Almost the entire division is fighters who are like two years removed from being regional fighters. They can find dudes better than Chico Camus and Darren Uyenoyama. Trust me.

• Like 1

Tony Ferguson is out of his fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov with what sounds like a respiratory...um..issue. They might be searching a short notice opponent for Khabib. Evans/Teixeira has been elevated to the main event.

Based on an update in Shaun Al-Shatti's report on MMA Fighting, it looks like they want to keep Khabib in the main event if they can find a suitable replacement.

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Lame. That was such a money fight we may now never see. Fluid/blood in his lungs doesn't sound pleasant. 

I think it can be an entertaining bout, but I think it would be the toughest match you could find for someone like Ferguson. For a fighter with good technique, when your style is so frenetic, it does rely on people to engage in those tactics. When I think of people at lightweight who would be least likely to do that, Khabib Nurmagomedov would be one of them. In order for that not to be takedown-GNP-rinse-repeat, he would have to catch him a Brabo choke. That is what would make that fight intriguing.

Cerrone is willing to take the fight with Khabib. Two things though:

1) They would need to decide on the weight.

2) Cerrone wants a guarantee he keeps his fight with Patrick Cote. Yes, I'm being serious. That's a sticking point in 2016, but whatever.

• Like 2

Along with Evinger vs. Schneider as the headliner, Angela Hill is getting a strawweight title fight against Livinha on the 5/7 Invicta FC card. Mizuki Inoue is also fighting Aline Serio.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Seems unlikely Cerrone can make 155 by April 16.  

Well I wasn't that far off the mark, even though my prediction was that Khabib Nurmagomedov would be injured next.

Except that Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov are not the same individual. So you would be far off.

Anyway, this isn't the place to be predicting injuries. You can take that elsewhere. Not here.

• Like 1

Cerrone signed to fight Khabib only to pull out of the fight 3 hours later with a rib injury. That's according to Khabib on his Twitter.

Now, Cerrone is disputing that. This should be interesting.

TUF 23 Cast:

Women's Strawweights

Alyssa Krahn, 3-1, 28, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Amanda Cooper, 1-1, 24, Bath, Mich.

Amy Montenegro, 7-2, 32, Forks, Wash.

Ashley Cummins, 3-3, 28, St. Louis, Mo.

Ashley Yoder, 4-1, 28, Indianapolis, Ind.

Chelsea Bailey, 2-0, 23, Chewelah, Wash.

Helen Harper, 4-1, 28, Farnborough, England

Irene Rivera, 6-2, 22, Barcelona, Spain

Jamie Moyle, 3-1, 27, Las Vegas, Nev.

JJ Aldrich, 2-1, 23, Aurora, Colo.

Jodie Esquibel, 5-1, 29, Albuquerque, N.M.

Kate Jackson, 7-2-1, 29, Lostwithiel, England

Kristi Lopez, 2-0, 33, Quartz Hill, Calif.

Lanchana Green, 2-1, 26, Darlington, England

Mellony Geugjes, 0-1, 23, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Tatiana Suarez, 3-0, 25, Fontana, Calif.

Light Heavyweights

Abdel Medjedoub, 3-0, 30, Mila, Algeria

Andrew Sanchez, 7-2, 27, Shiloh, Ill.

Cory Hendricks, 3-0, 27, Lynden, Wash.

Elias Urbina, 3-0, 22, Weslaco, Texas

Eric Spicely, 8-0, 29, Stoughton, Mass.

Jamelle Jones, 6-2, 28, Atlantic City, N.J.

John Paul Elias, 3-0, 27, Fresno, Calif.

Joshua Stansbury, 7-2, 31, East Liverpool, Ohio

Kenneth Bergh, 3-0, 26, Oslo, Norway

Khalil Rountree, 4-0, 26, Las Vegas, Nev.

Marcel Fortuna, 8-1, 30, Tubarao, Brazil

Muhammed DeReese, 5-0, 27, Titusville, Fla.

Myron Dennis, 12-4, 27, Oklahoma City, Okla.

Norman Paraisy, 15-4-2, 1 NC, 30, Paris, France

Phil Hawes, 3-0, 27, Little Ferry, N.J.

Trevor Carlson, 10-2, 27, Spring Creek, Nev.

Some notes:

- Quite a few Invicta fighters in the strawweight cast. Wonder if you will get unintentional spoilers if some of these girls end up on future Invicta cards.

- It's funny that they brought back Norman Paraisy, who is forever is reference point for clever editing. He lost a fight to get into the house on a season some year back. He said French fighters never quit before quitting in hilarious fashion just minutes later. Hopefully, he can do better.

- Khalil Rountree and Phil Hawes have to be odds on favorite for this season.

Looking like 17 is shaping up to be another solid Invicta card. Glad to see Amy Montenegro on the TUF list, big fan of her Invicta fights. With her plus Joanna on the show, will definitely plan on watching for the first time since the first strawweights season. Also wasn't expecting Nunes to be Miesha's first defense and at 200, should be good.

Tate/Nunes is interesting in that Nunes for six minutes has a chance to blast Tate. Anything after that could be Nunes on the ground getting submitted.

The betting odds might be crazy as the fight approaches.

• Like 1

Long post time.

With the milestone UFC 200 event upcoming, we’ve speculated for a while what might be the card and particularly the main and co-main events. Well we now know the main event in Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor 2 again at Welterweight. It’s rare for a non-title fight to headline over a title fight/title fights but that’s likely going to happen here as they've the subtitle on the poster.

Frankie Edgar vs. Jose Aldo 2 is for the Interim UFC Featherweight Championship. I wouldn’t be surprised in time it’s upgraded to full status as I don’t know if Conor will make it back down to that weight class, big difference between Welterweight and Featherweight. Additionally if Conor beats Nate, good chance you’ll get the rubber match. If Conor wants to fight in a higher weight class, Lightweight seems a better fit one up from Featherweight.

I fancied there would be a rare third UFC Championship fight preferring it to be the UFC Welterweight or UFC Women’s Bantamweight. We’ve got the latter as Miesha Tate defends against Amanda Nunes. UFC be risking Tate vs. Ronda Rousey III and Tate vs. Holm II. Look what happened to Holm after beating Rousey for said championship.

I’m picking Nate, Frankie and Miesha. Frankie Edgar becomes only the third man in UFC history to win UFC Championships in two different weight classes.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to see how much Tate's team pushed for a title defense. I know she wanted to fight ASAP (much like Holm after 193), but she pretty much has the Rousey fight locked up for November. I think the new deal she just signed this week takes care her as far as the PPV end goes. So it's not like she won't get paid more than her guaranteed purse when that fight rolled around. I know Dana had designs on two female fights being on 200, but you have to give Nunes a chance to beat Tate. No matter who wins though, they would need the winner to be healthy to fight in November (or December). Potentially the MSG card could have some combo of Cormier-Jones II, Rousey's return vs. the BW title fight winner, and possibly a Weidman fight if he beats Rockhold. That has the potential to do crazy business at the gate and in terms of PPV revenue. 

I mean Tate should be fine because UFC 200 is going to do pretty well on PPV. However, it's a big risk for her. I mean Holm tried to get two big paydays and then she got choked out before she could get the second one. Tate is about as vulnerable as Holm was if not more.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

It would be interesting to see how much Tate's team pushed for a title defense. I know she wanted to fight ASAP (much like Holm after 193), but she pretty much has the Rousey fight locked up for November. I think the new deal she just signed this week takes care her as far as the PPV end goes. So it's not like she won't get paid more than her guaranteed purse when that fight rolled around. I know Dana had designs on two female fights being on 200, but you have to give Nunes a chance to beat Tate. No matter who wins though, they would need the winner to be healthy to fight in November (or December). Potentially the MSG card could have some combo of Cormier-Jones II, Rousey's return vs. the BW title fight winner, and possibly a Weidman fight if he beats Rockhold. That has the potential to do crazy business at the gate and in terms of PPV revenue. 

I mean Tate should be fine because UFC 200 is going to do pretty well on PPV. However, it's a big risk for her. I mean Holm tried to get two big paydays and then she got choked out before she could get the second one. Tate is about as vulnerable as Holm was if not more.

We're in agreement.

• Like 1

Khabib Nurmagomedov is fighting Cage Fury (CFFC) lightweight champ and prospect Darrell Horcher on the Tampa card.

It will be contested at a catchweight of 160 pounds.