DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

There was a rumor going around that Cormier hurt his foot about a week ago. Then, nothing came of it. UFC still hasn't made it official although everyone else has confirmed it. Jon Jones is still training tonight at Jackson/Wink until they get word otherwise. DJ and Rumble haven't heard anything yet either. I saw Dana and the UFC twitter account were still posting links for that hype show on FS1. That was maybe five or six hours ago.

the UFC on FOX twitter account posted about an hour ago that the match is off. ESPN has a piece up on their website. Ariel has been posting about it for the past couple of hours, too. For what it's worth, he's saying it might get moved to UFC 200.

Jon just confirmed via Instagram he is still fighting at UFC 197 whether it be at LHW or HW. He basically laid out the same reasons I gave VileOne.

You're not training for like five or six months and then not fighting if you're healthy.

2 minutes ago, Shawn411 said:

I guess DC vs Jones for MSG

Maybe, if DC is healthy.  Right now, I believe Tate vs. Rousey III will be at MSG whether it's the co main or main event.

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Jon just confirmed via Instagram he is still fighting at UFC 197 whether it be at LHW or HW. He basically laid out the same reasons I gave VileOne.

You're not training for like five or six months and then not fighting if you're healthy.

Will believe it when I see it.  

23 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Will believe it when I see it.  

You think training camps are free? He's fighting. Just needs an opponent.

It's not hard to see that this is an entirely different situation from UFC 151.

Guest Edwin

Elsalvajeloco is right about Jones fighting at UFC 197 -- he pretty much said he's not someone to take fights on a short notice, but that this would be the exception and that he was open to fighting anyone at LHW or HW so there's a very good chance he's fighting on that card no matter who it is.

If he were to fight at HW, I could see the UFC making a fight against a lower ranked HW in his debut.

I think that was more of UFC's doing because they don't want to make non title fights headlining over title fights a recurring (or at least regular) thing. Based on what Jon has said in the past, he probably doesn't care whether it's for a belt or not.

Julianna Pena got her legal matters resolved, and the UFC released a statement saying to expect a bout with her to be announced in the near future. So the Zingano fight should be announced at any time.

Yeah, they were going at it for awhile yesterday. Daniel being called a pussy also seems to have really gotten under his skin because shithead Snowden made a stink about getting blocked for it.

Cormier has to be the easiest MMA fighter to troll. Meltzer said he is suppose to come back in August/September, but Jon is already calling him out for UFC 200. For just about every other fighter, I believe they would just sit out until that timeframe. With DC, I think he would try to rush back and fight Jon Jones at 75%. That would not be good.

UFC holding tryouts for upcoming season of TUF in April. Flyweights AND winner of the season will get immediate title shot.

Whoever is the flyweight champion after UFC 197 will fight the season winner at the December TUF Finale.