DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Saw a tweet confirming that Aldo-Edgar II isn't the co-main. Heard a rumor that RDA-Alvarez may be the co-main. So basically, they might be doing 3 5-round fights anyway.

Three five-rounders on one card IMHO is a bad move in terms of pacing.  

Conor/Nate is not going five rounds. Aldo/Edgar could go deep but it wouldn't be shocking if it ended early either.  RDA/Eddie is probably the likeliest of the three to go 5, if they should book it for 200. Those are all sweet fights and I'd happily pay money to see them live (but not the $800 or whatever I'm guessing the tickets will cost, of course). 

6 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Three five-rounders on one card IMHO is a bad move in terms of pacing.  

It would depend on the first two fights of the main card. I think if you have bonafide fighters (including the top fights) who people recognize and support, it would make it easier. If it's clunky heavyweight fights (and I don't think Velasquez vs. Browne falls into that category compared to other HWs) or if it's random fights, then yeah, it's probably going to be bad.

I mean the fights on 194 weren't bad at all. They just didn't move at a breakneck speed of UFC 189. That type of show is a rarity unless it's on a lower level w/ zero stakes or a mix of mismatches.

Two notes:

UFC 198 is sold out. All 45,000 seats are gone. Just VIP packages left.

Mark La Monica just reported that Aljamain Sterling is fighting Bryan Caraway on the 5/29 Fight Night card.

• Like 1

I look forward to Sterling utterly destroying Caraway.  Please don't let me down Sterling.  

I really hope Jon Jones isn't going to become the Darryl Strawberry of MMA, but it kind of seems that way with him sometimes.  

• Like 1

On the other hand, he is about 4 or 5 wins away from possibly accomplishing everything he could in his career. Like once you get past beating DC again, a fight with Rumble, and possibly fighting Gustafsson again, there isn't much of a hill to climb. With dudes off the gas like Overeem (who looked more like '05 MW GP Overeem at the last presser) and someone like JDS being too shopworn, all he would have to do is beat the HW champ and Cain. Those are the final bosses of the video game. Out of all those fights, the Rumble fight is the toughest IMO just because I think Rumble would straight demolish certain top dudes at HW.

So even with various stops and starts, he is basically the only person who realistically has a shot of beating everyone there was to beat in and around his weight class. I mean a potential Weidman (or Rockhold fight) could be a payday, but I mean the whole selling point would need to be this superfight with two great athletes. The problem here is both Weidman and Rockhold are great athletes going against possibly the best athlete we've ever seen in MMA. At least with heavyweight, you have the weight curiosity factor. Rockhold is a very big middleweight, but are people going to be really sold on him having a chance against Jon Jones? I mean I would love to see it over something like Jon Jones vs. Andrei Arlovski. However, that's only because Rockhold is in his prime.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

That's a lot of time for him to get him into all sorts of trouble, which he seems to be addicted to at this point.

My point is he has already accomplished like 85 to 90 percent of what he could accomplish in his career, and that's with all the trouble he has gotten into. There are currently three credible challengers for the position of best fighter at 205. He already has wins over two of them.

The Strawberry comparison is probably more appropriate for someone like Paulo Filho, who was a fan favorite and whom most people declared the rightful heir to Anderson Silva's throne at middleweight. Then, he started fighting off invisible demons mid-fight.

Hell, you can even use that for someone like BJ Penn who has had numerous issues inside and outside the cage (alcohol and substance abuse, contract disputes, weight issues, lack of commitment, various run-ins with the law, etc). He accomplished a lot, but compared to what he could've done, it doesn't distance himself from many of the top lightweights today or recent past.

I don't know what it says about heavyweight MMA (be it during Fedor's ten year run or after it) that someone who can't stay out of trouble is virtually a handful of victories away from being an ATG heavyweight fighter. Like all he has to do is beat two or three different credible heavyweights, and he's already surpassed a Cain Velasquez and a Brock Lesnar. He can do six months in the clink and still accomplish that in two years.

Guest Edwin
On 3/7/2016 at 9:24 AM, grizzlyedwin said:

And if the rumors I've heard are true, then there's a good chance Wanderlei's team will have a significant size advantage as he's rumored of teaming with Tamura.

This has been confirmed. Kiyoshi Tamura will be Wanderlei's tag team partner. So it will be Wanderlei Silva and Kiyoshi Tamura vs. Kazushi Sakuraba and Hideo Tokoro at RIZIN FF 1 on 4/17.

6 hours ago, Shawn411 said:

I am surprise UFC 198 sold out so fast. 45000 is a lot of seats.

Well, they've been trying to do a stadium show there since Grace Tourinho was the head of UFC Brazil. That was back when the economy of Brazil was better off, and they could get away with less than stellar cards. With Tourinho getting canned in favor of Giovani Decker, they have to do something to energize that market. It helps that Brazil still sees Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort as big stars. I don't think a Fabricio Werdum could sell out a show in a stadium where the ticket prices are way higher than what an average Brazilian can pay for. So in order to build new stars, they have to put those people on shows where the actual stars are. It's something they should've continued doing after UFC 134 and the earlier shows in Brazil.

The Shade of the Day Award goes to Invicta FC matchmaker Julie Kedzie:

Julie Kedzie @julesk_fighter 19m19 minutes ago

Hi! We're gonna to poach you from other organizations with a tv deal and a chance to get more sponsorship $ But you won't be on tv.

There was a rumor going around that Cormier hurt his foot about a week ago. Then, nothing came of it. UFC still hasn't made it official although everyone else has confirmed it. Jon Jones is still training tonight at Jackson/Wink until they get word otherwise. DJ and Rumble haven't heard anything yet either. I saw Dana and the UFC twitter account were still posting links for that hype show on FS1. That was maybe five or six hours ago.

3 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

They are going to have to postpone the fight.  Who could they even get Jones to fight on three-weeks notice that Jones would be willing to fight?

Rumble said he would be ready to step in if Jon couldn't make it. I wonder if it works the other way around. I mean it's not like Jon is risking a belt either.

I mean Jon has been training since late last year (October/November-ish). He might as well fight.

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

You say that but he wasn't willing to fight Chael Sonnen.  And Rumble is a much more dangerous fight than Chael Sonnen on two weeks notice.

He was also light heavyweight champion and not coming off a long hiatus. In addition, I don't even know if Rumble has been in the gym really. I would venture to guess that AJ has spent more time taking care of his dogs at his kennel than actually...you know...training for the best fighter in his weight class. Plus, I'm guessing he would have to drop a significant amount of weight unless it would be a catchweight fight. Judging by a video I saw today with Brandon Gibson, Jon is in actual fight shape.