DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

If they're in talks, it would be silly to break off talks with the actual fighters. That's more a boxing tactic than a UFC tactic.

Also, it was the most profitable fight they've ever made. You can't get more proof than that.

If anything, they teased the first fight to gauge interest. After you get 1.5 million buys, virtually no point in teasing it again.

The weight class is the only thing I find surprising. I was under the impression the last fight was at 170 because Diaz didn't have time to get his weight down, which is legitimate. But that wouldn't be an issue the second time so I'm a bit surprised they aren't doing it at Lightweight. Be interesting to see where Conor goes next if he loses to Diaz again, I'm not saying of course he'll lose popularity or anything right away but people do like winners, his next fight after that would probably need to be a little bit safer so he didn't lose three in a row. Diaz again will definitely be a challenge for him.

The weight class is the only thing I find surprising. I was under the impression the last fight was at 170 because Diaz didn't have time to get his weight down, which is legitimate. But that wouldn't be an issue the second time so I'm a bit surprised they aren't doing it at Lightweight. Be interesting to see where Conor goes next if he loses to Diaz again, I'm not saying of course he'll lose popularity or anything right away but people do like winners, his next fight after that would probably need to be a little bit safer so he didn't lose three in a row. Diaz again will definitely be a challenge for him.

I think right now, between having to kill himself to make 145 and most likely becoming a mainstay at 155 in the near future, the safe fights are going to be scarce. I think the safest 145 fight actually might be the riskiest fight at 145 (especially in the eyes of most people). I think despite the fact Edgar is a hell of a wrestler and crazy active with very underrated power, the size disparity might be too much. I mean Edgar could fight at bantamweight and not be massive whereas McGregor is walking at 175-180+. That could be tough sledding for either guy. My mind would change everyday on that particularly fight.

I see a potential rematch with Aldo just being a war. If that went beyond 3 rounds, it would be crazy because I don't either guy would have spectacular cardio past three rounds. Both of these dudes are going to cut so much weight before the fight. So that would be a factor. Even if McGregor doesn't catch him cold, I still think he could melt Aldo with a left hand. I think the big potential problem for Conor is that he probably won't check that many kicks. I don't think he could afford to do that. 

One fight no one has talked about is a rematch with Holloway. I think that fight would be crazy just because now Holloway is fighting at half speed and beating fighters. If I'm a Chad Mendes or Jose Aldo, that's a fight I am not willing to just take unless it's mandatory that I do so.

At lightweight, too hard to say McGregor just beats anyone. You could make an argument either way with so many fighters and sound reasonable. The thing is with McGregor being a main event fighter, he isn't just fighting anyone. It's going to be a name. So the Diego Sanchezes or Yancy Medeiros of the world that he would absolutely dismember are kinda off limits. Though a rematch with Duffy would do big time business in Ireland. That would perhaps be their fastest sellout on record.

There a safer fights for McGregor, but I am not calling anyone a prohibitive favorite. He just knocked a guy out four months ago in 13 seconds, and I am not ready to call that second fight for McGregor just yet either.

• Like 1

the highest draws in MMA history (other than Rousey), all of them have suffered a humiliating defeat before they became that person.

it depends on the person/personality. some people are hyped up as the best of all time~! and when they lose, it definitely harms their reputation. Fedor and Rousey spring to mind. if Rickson had stuck around and faced top competition, he would fall under this umbrella also.

other people have more of a "big presence" where wins and losses don't necessarily matter as much. Conor seems to fall under this banner, although his next two fights (especially if he loses this rematch) will really show us what to expect.

the highest draws in MMA history (other than Rousey), all of them have suffered a humiliating defeat before they became that person.

it depends on the person/personality. some people are hyped up as the best of all time~! and when they lose, it definitely harms their reputation. Fedor and Rousey spring to mind.

Fedor really didn't fall into that category. People didn't even consider that first TK fight a loss. Plus, Fedor's drawing power was limited to television really. The PRIDE and Affliction PPVs were okay for non UFC shows, but that's kinda a limited market especially now when the other promotions don't run PPVs. So all you have to compare those shows with is other shows headlined by Fedor and one other PPV maybe. So it's hard to say Fedor was really diminished when all you had to go on is premium cable ratings and one show at like 10am when everyone is doing stuff for the holidays and not looking for a company no one knows about. Kimbo would probably be a better example because he's a draw despite that Petruzelli fight and his mediocre UFC run.

I think Rousey is going to draw big. What evidence is there that she won't? Her reputation being hurt is about as isolated as you would expect (basically just inside the small hardcore bubble that are going to watch anyway). If the people posting those memes are the same folks in bars or ordering the PPVs, I doubt the UFC gives a shit about that. The fact that she has done SNL (which popped a good rating) and Ellen after that says a lot. She was on the cover of the SI Swimsuit issue. She just signed a major endorsement deal a few days ago. So if her reputation is hurt, then it's got a bad way of showing it.

I think hardcore fans are blinded by this perception that losses destroy the best laid plans. The problem with that perception is that the sport isn't defined by one show or one performance. If it was, the UFC (and pretty much the sport as a whole) would have folded shop long ago. When part of the attraction to the sport is crazy shit happening, the best thing you can do is capitalize on that. You take risks. A lot of times it works. A lot of times it doesn't work. That's the beauty of MMA at its very best. So one key person losing is not exactly the be all, end all when it's a function of the sport. You plan based off that. If it makes you more money, you're doing something right. So whatever happens before, after, and during UFC 200, they will go from there just like they've always done. 

Wouldn't lightweight be a better fit for him then?  If it's just moneyweight super-fights now, I don't think McGregor is ever going to win another fight.

Ultimately, I'm fine if he's going to just stop cutting weight.  But if he does, he has to sharpen up his defense and stop leaving his chin wide open against bigger dudes.

Guest Edwin

Not sure anyone on here cares, but there's a RIZIN event scheduled for April 17th from Nagoya, Aichi, Japan.

The guy who lost to King Mo in the tournament Jiri Prochazka will be fighting Kazuyuki Fujita who seems to be a glutton for punishment, that Japanese guy who knocked out Joe Schilling with a superman punch in Bellator Hisaki Kato will be fighting former DEEP welterweight champ Yuta Watanabe and and the best Japanese flyweight Yuki Motoya will be fighting Brazilian feather prospect Allan Nascimento, plus that tag team grappling match between Kazushi Sakuraba and Hideo Tokoro vs. Wanderlei Silva and an unannounced partner and Rena will be fighting an unannounced opponent in a Shoot boxing fight and female Japanese wrestler Kanako Murata will be making her MMA debut.

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN 10m10 minutes ago

According to lab records, Kimbo Slice tested positive for the anabolic steroid nandrolone and elevated T/E ratio. Faces 1-year suspension.

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN 9m9 minutes ago

According to lab records, Ken Shamrock tested positive for nandrolone, methadone and elevated T/E ratio. Faces 1-year suspension.

Jason Floyd @Jason_Floyd 5m5 minutes ago

Shamrock and Kimbo tested positive for steroids at Bellator 149 per Texas public records request. Kimbo also had elevated T/E ratio

News updates:

- Ariel Helwani is out at Fox. Looks like it wasn't amicable.

- Toquinho signed with that outlaw Italian MMA promotion that also has Mayhem Miller. WSOF is trying to block it and hilarity ensued.

- Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Neil Seery has been added to the Rotterdam card.

- Germaine de Randamie has a fight it looks like. I'm guessing it's on the Rotterdam card.

Robert Joyner ‏@robnashville 11m11 minutes ago

Ariel parting ways w FOX..I wouldn't nec read this as him being on the outs w UFC, FOX/FS1 has been shedding staff at a huge rate lately....