DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Aguilar vs. Ju Thai is finalized for UFC 197.

Jag's going to out grapple Ju Thai for 15 minutes.

I saw that Aguilar and Esparza were bickering back-and-forth on Twitter and that JAG hadn't signed her bout agreement for the Ju Thai fight yet. Then, Ju Thai brought it up on Twitter that Aguilar hadn't signed the bout agreement. I thought Esparza was angling to steal that fight. Then a few days later, this bout is finalized. You can never figure out women completely.

Marcos "Pezao" vs.Clint Hester has also been added to UFC 197.

Ronda Rousey on her defeat to Holy Holm at UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm with disturbing revelations:

On a segment that will appears on Tuesday's episode of Ellen, an emotional Ronda Rousey told host Ellen DeGeneres that she contemplated suicide following her November 2015 loss to Holly Hom.

The former UFC champion appeared on the show to help promote her Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover, but the first part of their conversation centered around her title loss to Holm, the first time she's truly opened up on camera about that night. At first, subdued and serious, she said that things weren't perfect going into the fight but that's how things go. She cited that it was her third title fight in nine months and that she felt tired, but nothing too out of sorts with other fights she's had.

She said that Holm's first shot "knocked out on her feet", cutting open her mouth and knocking her teeth loose. She lost her depth perception and that she was swinging blindly.

She then got choked up when talking about what happened in the locker room afterward. She said she thought, "What am I anymore if I'm not this?" and said she had thought about "killing myself" and that she was "nothing" before looking up to boyfriend and UFC heavyweight Travis Browne. She said she saw him, thought that "I need to have his babies and to stay alive" and that he was meant to be there at that time. 

She said she does want to fight Holm next and to be the one that beats her.

Credit: f4wonline.com

Santiago Ponzinibbio vs. Court McGee has been added to the Fox card in Tampa

Minotoro is making his return at UFC 198 against Patrick Cummins

The 3/11 Invicta card in Las Vegas has been announced. Looks pretty good. It will be headlined with Ayaka Hamasaki vs. Amber Brown for the Atomweight belt.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/2/16/11024364/atomweight-title-fight-return-of-jessamyn-duke-highlight-invicta-fc-16

• Like 1

Somehow the panelists on Around the Horn kept mentioning Rousey being married from her comments on Ellen.

A little off topic, but I saw on Twitter this morning when the Pacquiao stuff blew some guy tweet something really off-putting that kinda bothered me. I think he was a journalist, but I definitely wasn't going to bother to see. Basically, he wasn't surprised that Pacquiao said those things about the LGBT community since he spent his career fighting in a cage.

I think he was trying to be self-righteous. So he's self-righteous and dumb. Anyway, these things make my skin crawl when random people try to discuss combat sports or anything related to it.

In vengeful MMA booking news, Bryan Barberena has been booked to face Warlley Alves at UFC 198. Well, Barberena at least got to go on a little mini-run.

Free of Jennifer Renee Webb drama...but not Ronda Rousey drama.  But maybe Browne is just a drama king.

Very few heavyweights have had the career trajectory that didn't fight before or during the PRIDE/early Zuffa UFC era. Went from a decent HW prospect from Gladiator Challenge to heavyweight destroyer to "man, this guy might not be all that good" to "this guy might be a wifebeater" to "Mr. Travis Rousey". He had a fifteen year career in virtually five years.

Anyway, Cezar "Mutante" has been booked to fight Caio Magalhaes on the Fox card in Tampa. Mutante has to only be in the UFC still because he is Vitor's homeboy. He doesn't have the chin to compete in MMA. In his last four losses, he has been KO'd four times. Not TKO'd but knocked out out.

• Like 1

Loving the Invicta 16 card. Lots of favs on there with Bennett, Grasso, Eggink, Aldana, Jinh Yu, KGB. Looking forward to Amber Brown getting the title shot. Wasn't aware Jessamyn Duke was back but glad to see her on as well. Grasso/Eggink and Aldana/Duke should both be good stuff.

• Like 1

I've been dealing with depression for pretty much whole life & I think ESPN's Mike Greenberg really hits the nail on the head re: Rousey here.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14790556

Best wishes to you.

Herb Dean will be the referee for Dos Anjos vs. McGregor.

Big John McCarthy will ref the co-main.

Thanks. Not long to wait now. Gone by quickly.

• Like 1