DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

This thread is for:

- General opinions

- Fight and event cancellations (NOT events that have a thread and are cancelled/ppd.)

- Videos (anything not under the official UFC, Bellator, WSOF, Glory, etc. YouTube/social media accounts or closely affiliated accounts is PROHIBITED. Anything below the AXS or CBS Sports level is fine until further notice. Non-North American content is fine depending on the promotion. Any post asking for official content of the aforementioned promotions, torrents, or streaming links will be immediately deleted w/o hesitation.)

- Fights being made

- Announcements and happenings that don't really need or have their own thread

- Bellator and UFC events that don't have a thread yet

- Signings

- Miscellaneous stuff that doesn't fit into any other pinned thread

Firas Zahabi has nothing but good things to say about GSP's training camp. It sounds like he thinks GSP will return but he's taking a hands off approach with that. "I think personally, these are not his words, there is more fight in him. I think he loves the sport and he gets excited about the idea of fighting again. I see him in practice all the time and the guy is incredible. He's still the best. I think Georges is going to make a splash soon."

Sauce.

I would love to see him try and take Lawler down. I really hope he returns.

The main event for the 2/21 Pittsburgh card is Donald Cerrone moving up to 170 to fight Tim Means.

Not a bad match-up to see if Cerrone can hang at welterweight.  For Means, it's a big opportunity against a main event level talent.  

It's a rough style matchup for a first fight at 170. Means is going to be in his face from the word "go".  Matt Brown beat Means, but Matt Brown can also absorb insane amounts of punishment. Coming off a fight where he instantly came apart at the seams once he got hit in the body, he's got to establish a tempo that makes Means uncomfortable. It probably plays into Means' gameplan, but that's the way to beat him as a non-wrestler.

New Year's Day 2016 means the five year anniversary of Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard II at UFC 125. Amazing how Edgar survived THAT first round. This was a super fight which divided ‘net opinion when it came to the scoring with some for Edgar, some Maynard and some agreeing with the draw.

My 2011 Fight of the Year, one of my favourite MMA fights ever if not my favourite, one of the best fights in MMA history and might get my vote as the best fight the UFC's had. Needless to say I'm a fan.

• Like 1

I feel like those fights don't get mentioned enough.  That promo was awesome but unfortunately it didn't translate into buys. 

We're in agreement. I think I might be the only person who had Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard II at UFC 125 as the 2011 MMA Fight of the Year instead of Dan Henderson vs. Mauricio Rua from UFC 139. I preferred Eddie Alvarez vs. Michael Chandler from Bellator 58 the same date as Hendo vs. Shogun.

UFC Tonight ‏@UFCTonight  21s21 seconds ago

WOW. You heard it here first. Dana White: "@HollyHolm WILL fight before she fights @RondaRousey."

Not that Dana doesn't change his mind on a weekly basis, but since this is the opposite of what he said a month ago, what is the guess on what happened behind the scenes? Did Holm insisting on fighting again really matter, did Rousey say she needed more time? Just wondering what occurred to make Dana do one of his classic 180s.

I assume I am not the only one that doesn't believe anything Dana White says until its been officially announced. He seems to go off the cuff a lot in interviews without thinking long term or asking the parties involved (including his bosses).

UFC Tonight ‏@UFCTonight  21s21 seconds ago

WOW. You heard it here first. Dana White: "@HollyHolm WILL fight before she fights @RondaRousey."

Not that Dana doesn't change his mind on a weekly basis, but since this is the opposite of what he said a month ago, what is the guess on what happened behind the scenes? Did Holm insisting on fighting again really matter, did Rousey say she needed more time? Just wondering what occurred to make Dana do one of his classic 180s.

I assume I am not the only one that doesn't believe anything Dana White says until its been officially announced. He seems to go off the cuff a lot in interviews without thinking long term or asking the parties involved (including his bosses).

There isn't anything Dana says that isn't Lorenzo (or Ike Epstein) approved. Maybe like eight or nine years ago that was the case. I think what happened is they realized that they need main events. I thought it was pretty telling that there was no plan to release an event calendar for 2016. Right now, coming off a crazy last quarter, you can't really sit down as a matchmaker or promoter and pick and choose which fights are going to main event this and that card. You got people who just fought. You got people who are on vacation. You got people trying to get over injuries or just take a break to heal minor ones. Then, you got people negotiating new deals. I've been saying this for awhile: They need main events. They're on a bit of hot streak whether it be how the fights turn out or how the business turns out. Sometimes, it has been a bit of both. You can't keep the ball rolling with Demetrious Johnson vs. some dude. It makes more sense to deal with fights as they happen or become available instead of "Shit, we told Calgary they're getting a card in June. What the fuck do we do?" Maybe you can package deal something and pop a decent buyrate. You got to do what it takes to keep the momentum going. 

It's pretty clear that Rousey isn't going to be ready for UFC 200 at this point with her other commitments plus having to get ready for the fight.  I think it's pretty obvious fans were pretty much lukewarm on the idea of running it again immediately.

Running Tate/Holm now makes sense because you have a healthy champion fresh off an amazing win, and you have a healthy fresh contender on a four-fight winning streak.  

The other benefit here is you can test the value of the division outside of Rousey, which would've had to be done at some point.  Tate/Holm is as good a fight as any to do as such.