DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2015/16 - Period 2

Dolfan in NYC

Why in fucks name are you working so hard to defend this?

A: I would be more interested in watching if Scott were playing, yes. Know why? Cause the winner of the 3 on 3 team gets money. To most of the players there it's an inconsequential total. Not for Scott. Someone actually PLAYING HARD in the All-Star game would be incredibly interesting, and it's the main reason nobody gives a fuck about it to begin with. More players coming in to actually play hockey would be outstanding for it.

B: He was traded specifically to be waived. Everyone knows it, everyone acknowledges it. If Arizona sent him down, it would be transparent but at least some what understandable. The trade that clearly had the NHL's footprints all over though? That is freaking insane.

C: It was Pre set up and encouraged by the NHL specifically to get him out of the All-Star Game. Multiple major hockey writers have said the Coyotes asked him to step down and when he wouldn't, he was traded basically as punishment. That's fucking insanity and terrible. And you defending it is kinda ridiculous.

• Like 1

I'm not "working hard" to defend this, I'm just genuinely curious as to why anyone is so worked up over the prospect of seeing a shitty player get lit up by the league's elite in a game that means nothing, for the prospect of a financial bonus in the event of a win.  Which his presence on the ice for said team drastically decreases the chances of him receiving, because HE ISN'T VERY GOOD.

This "PLAYING HARD" of which you speak, are you referring to this?

Or maybe this?

I'll bet you'd be totally okay with this joke of a player if he concussed a skill-player like Tarasenko during this glorified exhibition, right?  Because he actually cares!  And the fans voted him in (as a total joke, which is why it came to this)!

The Coyotes asked him to step down, he refused.  Do you think that was wise, considering that he is a marginal player who is lucky to be in the NHL at all?

Here's a wild idea - maybe if John Scott wanted to earn more money, he should have worked harder to become a better player and earned a selection on merit.  And not went against the express wishes of his employer.

What's actually insane is catching feelings and frothing at the mouth over a trade of a player who has made no positive contribution to the sport in any fashion, except to stoke your RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE.

I'm not "working hard" to defend this, I'm just genuinely curious as to why anyone is so worked up over the prospect of seeing a shitty player get lit up by the league's elite in a game that means nothing, for the prospect of a financial bonus in the event of a win.  Which his presence on the ice for said team drastically decreases the chances of him receiving, because HE ISN'T VERY GOOD.

What you're not understanding is that people aren't worked up because they think John Scott is super great or whatever. They're annoyed because the NHL looks like a joke when it handles things this way.

Imagine this scenario. I win some sort of workplace award (that comes with a cash bonus). A while down the line, my boss comes up to me and says "hey... so about that award. Instead of rationally selecting the recipient like intelligent people, we had a dart-throwing monkey select the winner. Turns out that was a terrible idea, and the person we actually wanted to win didn't win. So... could you please just decline the award so we can give it someone else? Oh yeah, and if you don't do it, we'll fire you." First off, that would be entirely unreasonable, and I would be pissed. Second, it would make everyone involved look like a colossal joke. That's pretty much the NHL here.

• Like 3

The NHL is a joke, and has been essentially since Bettman was appointed commissioner.  You'll get no arguments from me on that.  My issue is with the overwrought emotional bleating about how poor John Scott deserves that money and how him being in the game would have made it somehow more interesting.

Probably going to be pretty hard when there is only 2 other guys on the ice with him. Though it would be pretty funny to watch Pavelski and Doughty or whoever spin in perpetual circles, rather than pass.

I dunno if it'll be that hard. It's not like there's going to be much forechecking or defense going on.

Someone really doesn't like Tampa

45]

@TBLightning

Jonathan Drouin has been suspended indefinitely without pay after failing to report for tonight’s Syracuse Crunch game vs. Toronto.

As the kids like to say, shit just got real. This isn't going to end well.

What you're not understanding is that people aren't worked up because they think John Scott is super great or whatever. They're annoyed because the NHL looks like a joke when it handles things this way.

Imagine this scenario. I win some sort of workplace award (that comes with a cash bonus). A while down the line, my boss comes up to me and says "hey... so about that award. Instead of rationally selecting the recipient like intelligent people, we had a dart-throwing monkey select the winner. Turns out that was a terrible idea, and the person we actually wanted to win didn't win. So... could you please just decline the award so we can give it someone else? Oh yeah, and if you don't do it, we'll fire you." First off, that would be entirely unreasonable, and I would be pissed. Second, it would make everyone involved look like a colossal joke. That's pretty much the NHL here.

What like deserving players that dont get to go to the all-star game because of the stupid all teams have 1 represenative rule.  No one has talked this much about an NHL All-star game since Rendezvous 87.  The NHL wins

The NHL is a joke, and has been essentially since Bettman was appointed commissioner.  You'll get no arguments from me on that.  My issue is with the overwrought emotional bleating about how poor John Scott deserves that money and how him being in the game would have made it somehow more interesting.

Irrational Gary Bettman hatred is so moronic.  Like it or lump it he has done a better job for this league than the ones that were here before him

Honestly, I hope this Drouin thing just scares away any potential trading partners. Former top 5 pick or not, I don't think someone should be acting like such a prima donna when they have yet to really achieve anything at the NHL level.

If you look at the Baertschi situation with Calgary last season, there are obviously some similarities (i.e., player sours on his team and wants out), but at least Baertschi had the decency to conduct things behind closed doors. And it ended up working pretty well for both him and the Flames. (He got to go to a decent team in Vancouver where he is a regular on the roster, Calgary recouped a second round pick.) I don't see this current situation working out well for Drouin or the Lightning.

Yeah, if anything now is the time to buy as his value to the Bolts is at its lowest. I'm interested in what the Blues would be willing to part with. There was talk about the Canucks being in on Drouin but we probably don't have the pieces. I'm sure it would start with Horvat but upgrading one young piece for another isn't the direction they should be going (MOAR YOOTZ).

Fair enough. I'm sure someone will be willing to roll the dice on Drouin, even though I don't think all this recent business reflects well on him. Apparently the strategy his agent is going for is to push his value down so low (for the Bolts) that they'll trade him quickly for whatever return they can get. On the other hand, if this pushes his value down too low, doesn't he run the risk of Yzerman just saying "fuck it, I'd rather let this player sit than be bullied into making a trade for a minimal return"?

For the people on the internet who are obviously wrong and think the sanctity of the sacred very important All Star Game must not be sullied, the NHL named it's celebrity All Star coaches today. Naturally because it's in Nashville they're all country musicians this year.

• Like 2