DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2015/16 - Period 2

Dolfan in NYC

Kind of funny seeing the Flames acquire Shinkaruk, since it pissed off a lot of fans when the Flames drafted Emile Poirier over the more obvious hometown boy back in 2013. Now they have both...

Do the Canucks know they just traded for the M.Granlund that isn't the okay player on the Wild?

Haven't been following closely but Shinkaruk was teetering towards bust territory before the season. 31 points in 74 AHL games last year. He's seemingly turned the corner, putting up 39 in 45. Markus Granlund is a really good AHLer, a few years older, and a decent NHLer. Plus he plays centre. I don't love it and it'll be one of those deals where we won't know who, if anybody, wins it for years.

Granlund is actually only a year (and a half) older than Shinkaruk. However, you're right that he is NHL-ready now, even if only as a depth player, whereas it sounds like Shinkaruk is still a couple years out, if he makes the NHL at all.

So at least for the next year or two, I think Vancouver clearly wins this trade. After that, as you said it all depends on how the two players develop. If both players reach their max potentials, then Calgary probably wins. As it stands now, it's still a decent asset management move for Calgary. Calgary is deep at center with Monahan/Bennett/Backlund, so Granlund doesn't really fit long term, and next year he's waiver eligible so the Flames would risk losing him for nothing if he can't crack the lineup. And in the long term (well, and short term too...), Calgary needs more skilled wingers. So hopefully Shinkaruk can be that in a couple years.

To me, the main things holding Granlund back are that he doesn't have the offensive skill to be a reliable top 6 guy, and he doesn't have the faceoff ability, size or grit to be a really effective bottom six player. If he can figure some of those things out, I think he could be a solid NHL player for a while, but right now, I see him as a kind of marginal third-line defensively-responsible type who will chip in the occasional goal but can't be counted on to drive the offense.

I read he is better suited to the wing and that's where he played prior to being drafted.

That makes sense to me, honestly. But Brad Treliving has been quoted as saying that Granlund expressed to him that he was more comfortable at playing center and that center was a better long term fit for him. And Hartley seemed fairly insistent on playing Granlund at center. So I'm not sure what to think there. My one disappointment regarding Granlund is that the Flames didn't really give him a fair evaluation as a winger, which seemed like an obvious move.

@mirtle

Filip Forsberg gets a hat trick 25 minutes into the game against the Leafs.

A fan throws a lone hat on the ACC ice.

----

@nhlpa

The NHLPA’s appeal to the Neutral Discipline Arbitrator regarding the suspension of Dennis Wideman will be heard on Thursday & Friday in NYC

The Oilers are bullshit and if the coach and GM are to be believed, they're mad as hell and they're not going to take it anymore.

You mean someone wants the damaged goods.  If you deal for anyone on that roster it is a huge reclamation project.

All of their draft picks know how to play but the question is do they know what is required to play and win.

Not bad, Harrison and Fraser are dead weight, so no loss there. A 1st is great and Dano is interesting, though I don't know if he ever becomes more than a 3rd liner. Definitely has the coolest name on the team now. Yelling "MARKO" will be fun.

I really like Andrew Ladd too, but when he starts turning down 6 million dollar a season contracts, and the team has no realistic shot at the playoffs, trading him is the best option. He gets a shot at another Stanley Cup, the Jets get a dude named Marko and a first round draft pick. Class act, great guy in the community, and I wish him luck wherever he goes. I'm sure he gets a standing ovation when the Hawks are here in a few weeks.

Glad the Flames dodged the bullet on Reimer.

Looks like the Flames have moved Hudler to Florida for a 2nd and 4th round pick. Not a bad return, for a guy it was obvious the Flames wanted to move. If he had kept up his level of play from last season, he would easily have been worth a 1st. But after his really weak start to this season, I thought the Flames might be lucky to get a 3rd for him. Fortunately he's elevated his play over the last 20 games or so, and I'm glad they could get a 2nd+ for him.

Glad the Flames dodged the bullet on Reimer.

Looks like the Flames have moved Hudler to Florida for a 2nd and 4th round pick. Not a bad return, for a guy it was obvious the Flames wanted to move. If he had kept up his level of play from last season, he would easily have been worth a 1st. But after his really weak start to this season, I thought the Flames might be lucky to get a 3rd for him. Fortunately he's elevated his play over the last 20 games or so, and I'm glad they could get a 2nd+ for him.

Hudler is exactly the kind of two-way grinder the Panthers need for depth if they're going to make a run. Not to mention he's been there before. I love this move.
  • Like 1

Oh man, it seems like every year TSN and Sportsnet send out their crews to fill 6+ hours of dead air. So awful.

I'm hoping we get something decent for Hamhuis and anything for Vrbata. Maybe JB can do it without losing a pick!