DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2015/16 - Period 2

Dolfan in NYC

If the league uses this to get Scott out of the all star game we riot!!!

Actually I think this is how it should be booked: Scott gets kicked off and is replaced by Youppi!. In the game Youppi! gets set up by a teammate, scores a goal and then takes off his head to reveal John Scott!!! Scott then beats up the opposition, music hits, beer bash, fans go home happy.

Message to people defending the league: even if you think this "led to the right outcome" it was done in a horribly disgustingly corrupt way. If you endorse this than you endorse corruption, no two ways about it.

Moreover, if the NHL is so concerned about joke candidates, why don't they come up with a voting system that is harder to game? Or provide a list of acceptable  candidates and let the fans select from that? Or just select the All Star lineup themselves? Or have media people select it, like with some of the end-of-year awards? And anyway, 99% of hockey fans I know don't take the All Star game seriously, so what does it really matter?

Pretty bush league by the NHL.

Irony is that Scott being in the game was one of the few reasons people would tune into it. The toadies on NHL Live (especially that disgusting toad EJ Hradek who blamed the fans and "media" ala Vince McMahon) should drink my special coctail for idiots consisting of bleach and rat poison. I honestly wanted to turn my TV off ala Elvis listening to those shills.

Is voting in "joke candidate" any worse than voting in a way past their prime star or people in a foreign country ballot box stuffing for their countrymen or block voting for a teams entire line up?

Not to me.

Exactly.

How is John Scott more offensive than Zemgus Girgensons (another guy that seems pretty nice and got caught up in this bullshit through no doing of his own)?

I don't even care about the All Star game. The last great All Star moment was the Owen Nolan Pointing goal on Hasek. I do care that John Scott just probably got fucked out of a couple hundred grand via AHL demotion by a league about to let Raffi Torres back on the ice under the guise that John Scott is a danger and a disgrace to the game.

• Like 2

It's also funny that Scott is portrayed as this psychotic sociopath menace when besides the Erikson hit he really hasn't had discipline issues (especially for an enforcer).

I love the guy because he's an ex-Whaler but I think there needs to be a note about Queenville passing Al Arbour in wins: Arbour coached entirely in an era with ties and a significant portion before the introduction of regular season OT. Don't think there should be an asterisk or something but I just think it's something that should be kept in perspective.

Also it appears as if the NHLPA are going to do nothing about the John Scott travesty. If you wanted to know why they constantly get steamrolled by ownership, there you go. What do you think the MLB Players Union would do in a similar situation? They would fight like hell because they aren't a joke.

Whether or not Scott deserves to be an All-Star, he's effectively been punished for being the butt of an Internet joke, and it's the league's fault to begin with. That's a pretty shitty way to do business.

Why is it Scott's fault that fans give so little of a shit about the ASG that they'd vote for a joke entry?

Your second sentence is essentially bang-on what I'm talking about: he was a joke entry for a spectacle about which no one actually gives a damn.  He's a mediocre-to-nothing shit of a goon, who was lucky to be in the league to begin with.  Fuck him, along with the tiresome "but the fans!" (who were obviously just trolling in the first place) sentimentality that has caused this non-event to even become a talking point deemed worthy of discussion.

Again, the All Star game isn't even the story here. The NHL pretty openly involved itself in collusion to move a guy to a different conference and bury him in the AHL, which costs him a bunch of money. I'm sad the media (and pretty much all the fans) has already moved on from that, because it's completely out of line. Phoenix could have just buried him in the minors theselves and the NHL could have made up some new rule on the spot (it's not like they don't introduce rules mid season anyway) and avoided that, but they chose not to. The joke that the All Star game has become is completely secondary, to me.

• Like 2

If anything, Scott being in the game was one of the few things about it that could make people give a shit.

I think the thing that makes it worse is they did all of this horrible shit in order to protect an All-Star game nobody gives a fuck about.

Was anyone seriously going to watch the All-Star Game specifically because John Scott was selected?  What exactly is it about seeing a middling defenceman playing in an exhibition game against players of a much higher skill level that interests you so much, El Dragon?

Considering that Scott had been waived/demoted multiple times already over the course of this season before any of this, is his being traded and subsequently demoted to the AHL something that would not have likely happened anyway?

This isn't some talented worker being buried under a glass ceiling, it's a mediocre hockey player experiencing something that happens to mediocre hockey players all the time.  This one just happened to have been voted into the All-Star game for the lulz because fans on the internet thought it would be funny to engage in shenanigans akin to writing "Deez Nuts" on their high school class president election ballot.  It's not "horrible shit", it's business as usual in the NHL.

The All-Star game is inconsequential, to be sure, but so is John Scott.