DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2015/16 - Period 2

Dolfan in NYC

Speaking of Russians, is anyone else impressed at how Chicago seems to have unearthed another gem in Artem Panarin?  After the disappointment of the Mike Smith years, I'm not quite sure how to react to a Blackhawks prospect from the former USSR who actually looks to be worth a damn.

It seems like Russians in general have been undervalued by NHL teams since the rise of the KHL. That league isn't hot right now, so it doesn't really seem like a lot of players would bolt at the sign of the first troubles in North America. Panarin is proof, as he signed as a free agent from the KHL. Anisimov, Kane and Panarin is working out so well and, looking at the bit of ice time Anisimov has without Panarin, Artem's generally the worse for wear of the two (much, much weaker possession #s). He also looks like Patrick Kane's Russian relative, ready for the Perfect Strangers reboot.

GDymA5Bo.jpg

Fucking Chicago Blackhawks. How I yearn for the return of the Eric Daze dayz.

Speaking of Russians, is anyone else impressed at how Chicago seems to have unearthed another gem in Artem Panarin?  After the disappointment of the Mike Smith years, I'm not quite sure how to react to a Blackhawks prospect from the former USSR who actually looks to be worth a damn.

Mike Smith's obsession with Russians, yet having a complete inability to scout them was hilarious. Except for the fact that he hamstrung the Jets for years with his wonky drafting. The funniest being drafting Sergei Bautin at 17 in 1991 and the entire TSN panel having no clue at all as to who he was.

He found Zhamnov and Khabibulin and that's it.

Hey, 4 in a row for Detroit on the road. Weird play tonight as Sheahan fired a shot that went under the crossbar and through the net, deflecting off the back bar and up into the stands. Play got reviewed and was still called a non-goal. Bit of karmic justice as Sheahan scored the winner anyway.

Breaking News: If I win Powerball the Whalers are coming back to Hartford. If for some reason that falls through I will buy WWE and create a booking committee consisting of all the posters on this forum.

• Like 2

The tradeoff is having you picking top guys like you pick teams to root for.

Your 3 standard posts:

Hurricanes!

Fucking Hurricanes!

Trolling me.

I'm just sad Mark got a pro like FSW to constantly try and start shit and I get a fourth rate troll like you.

The family of the Boston player who was paralyzed at the women's outdoor game is suing the NHL claiming unsafe conditions. They are also suing the Patriots as well. I feel terrible for them but don't know if they have much of a case. It seems as it was just an awful Travis Roy type freak accident and that there really is nobody to blame.

Your 3 standard posts:

Hurricanes!

Fucking Hurricanes!

Trolling me.

I'm just sad Mark got a pro like FSW to constantly try and start shit and I get a fourth rate troll like you.

I'll have you know I'm a sixth-rate at best!

• Like 1

Your 3 standard posts:

Hurricanes!

Fucking Hurricanes!

Trolling me.

I'll have you know I'm a sixth-rate at best!
You have low self esteem! *hugs Burrito*

In other news some fans came up with a name for the infamous white SUV at Barclays Center: Honkey.

Detroit with a great comeback from 2-0 down against Arizona to pull out a 3-2 OT win. 5 of 6 on the western states tour - I'll take it! The game turned around when the referees finally started blowing their whistles and awarded Detroit a couple power plays. Which leads me to my next comment...

This is not a "DETROIT GETS SCREWED BY THE REFS!" rant. Rather, I find myself baffled at what referees in the NHL don't call. The other night against LA, Drew Doughty wound up and just nailed Gus Nyquist on the arm with a slash. A BIG slash. Both referees saw it, Nyquist was carrying the puck...no call. I just don't get how a referee could look at that and not call something. In last night's game with Arizona, Pavel Datsyuk was tripped from behind by an Arizona player. That player then climbed on top of Datsyuk and hugged him from behind, holding him down on the ice. Datsyuk finally managed to get to his feet and then Coyotes player just grabbed him from behind and threw him to the ice. All with no call while Detroit was trying to press an offensive advantage. How the heck is that not a penalty? It seems like the refs have decided they'll call any (ultra) minor hooking infraction but ignore stick fouls and holding/tackling. Or something like that. I dunno. I'm just utterly baffled.

(For the record, there were equally egregious no-calls that went in Detroit's favor)

Awhile back we talked about ways to increase scoring. I mentioned then that I wasn't in favor of the "call more penalties" method to get more goals. Well, that was wrong. Detroit had something like 11 power plays in their last 5 or 6 games. That's just...not enough. It seems to me teams should be averaging 4-5 power plays per game.

More than that, though, I'd really just like to hear the honest-to-goodness explanation for why some plays simply weren't called. Like I'd love to sit down with the refs from the Detroit/LA game, show them the Doughty slash video and ask them to explain why they didn't call a penalty. That'll never happen, of course, but I'd sure like to do it sometime.