DVDVR Message Board

The Fast and Furious franchise thread

LethalStriker

35 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Jesus Fuck, this has to be the dumbest one ever.

I can't fucking wait to get my tickets.

I guess since Cipher is the BBEG in this one, that almost rules her out as the owner of the Voice of Eteon from Hobbs & Shaw.

Still seems like that's going to be Keanu.

I still hope someone else is pulling Cipher’s strings in this. I love the matryoshka doll structure of villain development in this franchise. The voice in Hobbs and Shaw was done by Ryan Reynolds supposedly as a placeholder, but if they haven’t figured out something better it may actually be him when they get around to addressing that. 

We watched Fast and Furious (2009) last night. I had low expectations for this one, but it exceeded them by quite a bit. The zaniness had already begun here, and it’s a lean mean 105 minutes, which is nice compared to the increasingly epic scope and length of these movies. It’s also fun to go back to a story with lower stakes. Highlight is probably Dom standing in the road reconstructing Letty’s murder in his mind palace. Move over Will Graham. Three Yeah We’ve All Seen Batman Begins Braga, Nice Try out of four. 

• Like 1

Where the fuck has Dom brother been hiding all this time? For someone who lives day and night by the code of family, youd think he'd care more about what's going on in his own immediate family. 

But we'll see this could be an alternate timeline brother like Cable from X-Force or some shit.

Oh yeah, the trailer. It's awesome, I'm there day 1 as always.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Where the fuck has Dom brother been hiding all this time? For someone who lives day and night by the code of family, youd think he'd care more about what's going on in his own immediate family. 

I'm guessing by the move tagline that he somehow left the family in disgrace as a child and somehow joined COBRA to learn combat tactics and advanced weapons training.

I'm going to wager that Jakob is the middle child / Mia's older brother suffering from typical middle child syndrome.  Mia is probably the baby of the Torretto kids.

Speaking of Mia, it will be easier to explain Jakob's resurgence than it will to explain why Brian will be MIA in this adventure.  Mia is there risking her neck and Brian is not the stay at home type.  Perhaps Jakob kills Brian off-screen?

Edited by J.T.

8 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

My theory:

When Dom's dad died, and Dom went to prison, his mother took Jakob & Mia and left him to rot.

While in prison his mama Toretto died and Jakob went his own way. Maybe he saw the Toretto name as a curse?

Mia, with no-one else to turn to, goes back to Dom and they have been inseperable since.

That makes sense, so it can't possibly be right.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Or they snipped a full conversation that goes something like:

Leti - "Jakob is his brother"

Roman - "He has a brother?"

Leti - "Not blood brother. They were drivers together. A race team. Won every trophy on the track when we were kids. When Dom went to prison Jakob left him to rot. Took the whole crew & moved to Boston. Dom had nothing when he got out."

Mia - "Nothing but us anyway..."

I admire your diligent but ultimately futile effort to inject logic into a franchise where not even the force of gravity works like it should.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

We watched Fast and Furious right after seeing the F9 trailer, and Mia had a line like, “I don’t want to lose my only brother.” My wife and I, brains addled by watching all of these in a week, just screamed “Oh shit” at the television simultaneously like we caught them and it wasn’t stupid until that moment. 

My two cents on Cena’s origin: Half brother, his mom is Julianne Moore doing her Southie accent from 30 Rock. 

• 8 months later...

Universal has confirmed that the franchise will end with the 11th movie

Justin Lin will direct 10 and 11 (and obviously he is doing 9)

This only applies to the main franchise.

There is at least one Hobbs & Shaw sequel and a female led spinoff also still planned

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

New trailer is out, but I can't link to it from my work computer. I'm giddy about it even though I expect it to be as dumb and fun as every other entry in the series. I also like how they have a video game approach to these movies now where every entry has a new gimmick. In this case, it's flying cars and magical supermagnets.

“The moment it happened in two seconds, the idea of John Cena came up. I had a dojo, a shrine, a Dom shrine where I would go and get into character, get into that Dom state of mind. It had all the ‘Fast’ memorabilia, it had weights, and it was a training center to get ready for the movie. He came in one day to meet me. And I gotta tell you, and it sounded crazy at the time, and it probably still sounds crazy, I had felt because I like to be in tune, I had felt that Paul Walker sent him into the shrine. And I didn’t question it at all. And I didn’t question it all.”

Vin Diesel on how John Cena was cast

• 2 months later...

Vin Diesel says his feud with the Rock was actually "Tough Love"

“It was a tough character to embody, the Hobbs character,” Diesel said. “My approach at the time was a lot of tough love to assist in getting that performance where it needed to be. As a producer to say, ‘Okay, we’re going to take Dwayne Johnson, who’s associated with wrestling, and we’re going to force this cinematic world, audience members, to regard his character as someone that they don’t know.’”

Diesel went on to say that while it wasn’t always fun, he was very happy with the performance that Johnson gave, and that it stayed true to the character.

“Hobbs hits you like a ton of bricks. That’s something that I’m proud of, that aesthetic. That took a lot of work. We had to get there and sometimes, at that time, I could give a lot of tough love. Not Felliniesque, but I would do anything I’d have to do in order to get performances in anything I’m producing.”

• Haha 3

On 2/1/2020 at 11:56 PM, L_W_P said:

Or they snipped a full conversation that goes something like:

Leti - "Jakob is his brother"

Roman - "He has a brother?"

Leti - "Not blood brother. They were drivers together. A race team. Won every trophy on the track when we were kids. When Dom went to prison Jakob left him to rot. Took the whole crew & moved to Boston. Dom had nothing when he got out."

Mia - "Nothing but us anyway..."

The part where they talk about them being brothers is the dumbest part and exchange in the movie. It's a braincell slaughtering moment.

• Like 1

Furious 7 would've been a good stopping point, but that's not how these franchises work. You got to milk them for every last penny!

Supposedly they are going to stop after the last two, but we'll see. Otherwise, how is Tyrese going to make his child support payments?