DVDVR Message Board

The Fast and Furious franchise thread

LethalStriker

17 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I only have one question.

Hide contents

At the end of Fate of the , Owen Shaw is very much alive and helps his brother rescue Dom's kid, but in Hobbs / Shaw, Deckard mentions that Brixton's betrayal forced him to kill his brother in order to escape, so is Owen dead now or is there more than one brother in the Shaw family?

I'm thinking the latter since Owen getting killed in between Fate and Hobbs / Shaw doesn't really jive and we didn't really know that Deckard had a kid sister either.

My assumption was Brixton was the one he was referring to. Though I could be totally off there. Like he saw Brixton as a brother and because of his betrayal he had to kill him.

And still no one addresses that he murdered Han in cold blood. He got off of that way too easily. Oh boo hoo. His brother got a few scratches. What happened to the family?

Overall, I thought it was a decent action film. But all the sequel baiting was really annoying. Everyone is still trying to copy the MCU playbook without understanding how it works.

Finished the movie an hour ago. Dug every bit of it. Rock and Statham have wonderful chemistry, and Idris was a solid villain.

Spoiler

Loved the scenes with Reynolds and Hart. Would love to see both return assuming there is a sequel.

• Like 1

Saw it yesterday and it was pretty good.   It's not close to Fast Five or anything but it quenched the thirst for big dumb action.  I LOVED the cameos in this and I am hoping for the sequel we get a big team up with said cameos as major players...    

This franchise just keeps racking up the W's and in my mind is the most consistently entertaining Hollywood franchise around. 

I am wondering who 

the big bad is.  I was expecting a reveal in the mid credits but then nothing

I have heard some rumors but...  idk

5 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Saw it yesterday and it was pretty good.   It's not close to Fast Five or anything but it quenched the thirst for big dumb action.  I LOVED the cameos in this and I am hoping for the sequel we get a big team up with said cameos as major players...    

This franchise just keeps racking up the W's and in my mind is the most consistently entertaining Hollywood franchise around. 

I am wondering who 

Hide contents

the big bad is.  I was expecting a reveal in the mid credits but then nothing

Reveal hidden contents

I have heard some rumors but...  idk

I say work them both into FnF 9 or 10 and say "Later, gator" to Scott Eastwood and Tyrese.

51 minutes ago, driver said:

Would it have the series jump the shark or it would be par for the course if The Voice was...

Reveal hidden contents

Vin Diesel

Unfortunately they toyed with Vin as the heel in the last installment where he wasn't really a heel,  I don't think they want to go back to that well

How about a

Double Turn  ala Hart/Austin with Vin going solid heel by taking out Eastwood and Tyrese and Theron turning face after Vin double crosses her and leaves her for dead. And this time around she's rocking a South African accent complete with subtitles. Actually that's a shitty idea as heel Vin is less interesting than face Vin. I just want Eastwood and Tyrese doing a stretcher job just so that Reynolds and Hart can come in.

35 minutes ago, driver said:

How about a

Hide contents

Double Turn  ala Hart/Austin with Vin going solid heel by taking out Eastwood and Tyrese and Theron turning face after Vin double crosses her and leaves her for dead. And this time around she's rocking a South African accent complete with subtitles. Actually that's a shitty idea as heel Vin is less interesting than face Vin. I just want Eastwood and Tyrese doing a stretcher job just so that Reynolds and Hart can come in.

Honestly,  I think you're looking at Hobbs and Shaw kind of being the future of this franchise anyway.  I think once Fast 10 comes and goes you'll see Vin become primarily a full time producer/director and then 

the new team becomes The Rock,   Jason Statham,  Vanessa Kirby,  Kevin Hart and Ryan Reynolds.

9 hours ago, driver said:

Would it have the series jump the shark or it would be par for the course if The Voice was...

Hide contents

Vin Diesel

Based on The Rock's casting admission, my educated guess is that it was supposed to be Keanu Reeves. Filmmakers are saying they haven't decided on who it is yet.

Edited by TheVileOne

Really liked it for the most part and I definitely want more of this. Some of the banter between Hobbs and Shaw got old by the end of the movie and it felt like they were running out of insults. They'll need to work on that if there's a sequel. Idris Elba was a very good villain. Loved the three cameos (I say three because while the two big ones mean more to everyone else, the third, the guy who meets with Shaw, means a lot to me because I'm a big fan of his and hope he has a bigger career now that his tv series is done).

I felt that the action could have been better directed. It was clear that there was more comfort was Statham doing action scenes because you'd have longer shots with him doing them, but a lot of the fight scenes with the Rock relied on shitty quick cuts. 

Ending sequence with Hobbs' family was fun stuff. I laughed when Cliff Curtis appeared playing Hobbs' brother. I swear, casting directors will call Cliff Curtis, a Maori dude, to play every other nationality out there. 

As for the voice, I almost think it would be cool if it were...

Spoiler

Gal Gagot. Maybe Eteon grabs her body on the airstrip and runs away with her and she becomes the figurehead for this shadow organization. I mean, we never actually saw her body and she was presumed dead...

Hey, this is the Fast and Furious franchise. It could happen!

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Reveal hidden contents

Gal Gagot. Maybe Eteon grabs her body on the airstrip and runs away with her and she becomes the figurehead for this shadow organization. I mean, we never actually saw her body and she was presumed dead...

Hey, this is the Fast and Furious franchise. It could happen!

I don't hate the idea and they did not know that 

Gal Gadot would become a huge star

• Like 1

I was trying to think of other people from the franchise and they fit the best because everyone else is dead or irrelevant enough to where it doesn't matter.

Then I tried to think of some kind of stunt casting where they could hire someone big who normally plays good guys to be a villain. And all I could think of for that was, like, Will Smith.

Not shocking, but they probably wrote themselves into a corner.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I was trying to think of other people from the franchise and they fit the best because everyone else is dead or irrelevant enough to where it doesn't matter.

Then I tried to think of some kind of stunt casting where they could hire someone big who normally plays good guys to be a villain. And all I could think of for that was, like, Will Smith.

Not shocking, but they probably wrote themselves into a corner.

I'm all for a Johnny Tran comeback.  

I haven't seen this yet but... 

...isn't John Cena supposed to be coming in?

We got Cena v Rock twice in WWE and they are 1 all. Maybe we get the next confrontation in this universe?

Edited by L_W_P

So I'll admit that I haven't followed the FatF franchise and have only seen the first one.  But there was something about Hobbs and Shaw that felt like a great date night movie.  And sure enough it very much was.  Loved Rock and Statham with their buddy cop vibe to it and the action sequences were very over the top (as is tradition with these movies)  We loved the cameos and also really appreciated the wrestling references (I counted 7 and that's not including some moves being used)  I know Rock used some references when he started acting but don't recall seeing them in his recent movies.  So it was kind of surprising to see how much of that was represented.   And it was very nice not only seeing Roman on screen but him getting a bit of a spotlight.  I feel he has some natural charisma to him and I wouldn't mind seeing Reigns try another movie in a starring role.  But all in all I really enjoyed the movie and if they do another will check that out as well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, L_W_P said:

I haven't seen this yet but... 

Reveal hidden contents

...isn't John Cena supposed to be coming in?

We got Cena v Rock twice in WWE and they are 1 all. Maybe we get the next confrontation in this universe?

Cena is going to be in Fast 9 but I don't think The Rock is in that one. I'm sure they will meet at some point.