DVDVR Message Board

The Fast and Furious franchise thread

LethalStriker

I like Tokyo Drift. I'm weird though, in that I've loved the franchise from the start. Roger Ebert did too. Sometimes bad movies just have a certain amount of appeal that is hard to explain. If Han weren't in Tokyo Drift though, I don't think I would have liked it as much.

If I were to rank them, I'd go...

Fast 5
Furious 7
The Fast and the Furious
Fast and Furious 6
Fate of the Furious
Fast and Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
Tokyo Drift

I'm pretty positive Paul Walker just have taken some serious acting lessons between 2F2F and F&F. His improvement is stunning.

I actually think I liked 4 more than any of the first three. That tunnel chase was fucking bonkers.

Fast Five: A better rip on Ocean's Eleven that the original was on Point Break, and that final "dragging the safe behind two cars" chase? Fuck yeah that's fucking awesome and easily the high point of the series.

• Like 1

Well, 6 stepped back a bit from Five (nothing measures up to that safe dragging scene dude) but the movie is still incredibly fun, Hobes joined the family, and NOOOO NOT GISELLE!!!! 

DON'T GO TO TOKYO HAN NOOOO.

I'm about to turn on FuriousSeven but I've seen it before. I'm thinking the end is gonna hit me a lot harder this time.

More seriously on 6, I knew from Tokyo Drift and Seven Han was going to die, but I just figured I'd glossed over a mention of where Gisele was in 7. I was caught completely off guard.

So eight movies in roughly 4 days... It must be rankingz~! time!

8. Tokyo Drift

7. 2F2F

6. The Fast and The Furious

5. Fast & Furious

4. Furious 7

3. The Fate of the Furious

2. F&F 6

1. Fast Five

The only real issue I have with Fate is the end when Dom reveals his son's name to be Brian. Like man, Vince died for you in Fast Five AND named his son after you. Vince and Dom grew up together, not Dom and Brian.  I just felt like that was projecting Paul and Vin's friendship on to Brian and Dom.

I'm just nitpicking, though.

• Like 2

When they made Tokyo Drift, it didn't seem at the time the producers were heavily invested in creating this action-adventure saga.  They were just doing fast cars in exotic locales.  Justin Lin also had to beg Vin Diesel to appear in that cameo in the film.

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

When they made Tokyo Drift, it didn't seem at the time the producers were heavily invested in creating this action-adventure saga.  They were just doing fast cars in exotic locales.  Justin Lin also had to beg Vin Diesel to appear in that cameo in the film.

Other than the budget and it being theatrically released, Tokyo plays exactly like those straight to DVD sequels that just use the title to sell a few extra copies of a completely unrelated movie.

But it did give us Han...

• Like 2

I talked to a friend of mine who just saw the movie and he dug it too because the franchise makes it so easy to just turn your brain off, but there are now some glaring issues. Basically, everyone in the movie is trying to get their shit in and no one is the straight man. If Scott Eastwood is supposed to be the guy then that's not good. Han and Brian carried the straight man role or the role of the audience. This series is now severely lacking in that type of character. We were talking about who they could add that audiences like a lot and that they could be the straight man to react to the lunacy around them.

We settled on Ryan Gosling.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Other than the budget and it being theatrically released, Tokyo plays exactly like those straight to DVD sequels that just use the title to sell a few extra copies of a completely unrelated movie.

But it did give us Han...

Yup.  It's exactly like one of those really bad DTV sequels. 

Movie was pretty good but this was the first time I found myself going WTF at some things.

The openeing race is just... yeah.

The prison break shows that Hobbs is a super hero, just like Dom jumping to save Letty in 6. Shaw might be too with those reflexs.

Upset that Elena died. Wraps up the family in too nice a bow with Dom, Letty and lil Brian. Would prefer some tension with Letty and Elena in future films.

When Dom jumps his car with the Heat Seeker I found myself thinking "Remember when this guy could barely hold his car straight for a truck robbery?"

Finally, I thought they were gonna go super meta and have Dom name his kid Paul.

Still love the franchise though.

• 5 months later...

I have a feeling he's speaking for others in the cast too. Before I used to think that the whole beef between the Rock and the Fast cast was a work. Looks a little more legit now.

On 10/6/2017 at 10:50 AM, Cristobal said:

I mean not to pile on Tyrese Gibson, but if you take a look at his IMDB page, it's not like he's getting a ton of other work.

I believe he legitimately needs that money. Ludacris was at least smart enough to parlay this franchise into stuff outside of acting and his music, and his girl is successful as well. He is living it up. As for Tyrese, he doesn't exactly have the best relationship with his fanbase, which is mostly women. He goes back and forth with them all the time on social media. So his music career is pretty much dead and he's not on the production side in a big way that I know of. He's not going to get that John Stewart role or that Teddy Pendergrass biopic he was suppose to do YEARS ago. Plus, doing a sequel for Baby Boy screams of desperation. As a non-actor, what is he going to do to supplement (or replace because I don't rule out him getting killed off screen) that income? So yeah, if anyone is going to be unhappy they delayed the next one by a year, it's going to be Tyrese.