DVDVR Message Board

The Fast and Furious franchise thread

LethalStriker

The problem with 2Fast, Tokyo Drift and F&F4 is they all introduce characters important to part 5 and 6 without being anywhere near as entertaining. 4 is the most important to 5 and 6 and Tokyo Drift looks like it will be important to 7 but you could probably start watching at Fast Five and not really lose much that isn't explained along the way. Id say suck it up and watch 4-6 then go back and watch 2Fast 2Furious and Tokyo Drift after you finish 6 if you really think you need too.

No way. You watch this stuff in the order it was released.

Part of the feeling of involvement and the connection with Dom and his family is sitting through the disjointed mess of 2F2F and the direct to DVD quality of Tokyo Drift.

When you watch Fast 4 you have a whole new love for Dom, Mia etc and then when Fast 5 hits you know you are part of something special.

Dont do yourself the injustice of 'skipping' the poor parts of the story. Watch them. Embrace them. Learn about Roman, Tej and Han and it will make the sequels even better!

I'm weird. I really like each movie in the series, even Tokyo Drift, but I do think 2F2F is the weakest in the series. Basically, you need to watch them all because:

• Part 1 sets up why family is important, why certain characters wind up on the run, etc.
  • Part 2 introduces Roman highlights Brian's strike 2 when it comes to crossing the US government.
  • Tokyo Drift has the cool bit with a returning character, but more than that, it serves up the biggest mind fuck with Han when watching Fast and Furious, Fast 5, and the payoff comes in Fast and Furious 6.
  • Fast and Furious sets up what happens in Fast and Furious 6
  • Fast 5 is fucking awesome. No more needs to be said there.
  • Fast and Furious 6 is not quite as good, but it's still a lot of fun and it ties up some loose ends from Fast and Furious, while also paying off the previously mentioned mind fuck.

If you wanted to do the whole thing, really, you do it 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, stop at 6's credits, 3, then 6's credits.

Drift wasn't as bad as its made out to be, but watching it, then watching an episode of NCIS: New Orleans, I wonder how they're gonna explain why Lucas Black looks no where near the right age now.

You cannot just skip the first one. The original is a must see because it not only sets up family and why it's important but it has all of the dialogue and sayings and in-jokes that are constantly referenced in the rest of the series.

As for 2 Fast 2 Furious I didn't love it but it's still good. It introduces Tyrese and Ludacris, Eva Mendes is smokin' hot and it gave us this:

I have a soft spot for Tokyo Drift since it was always in that 1am-3am time slot on HBO. If I couldn't sleep, I would always catch it somewhere in the middle and watch until the end. It's a perfect 'can't sleep so, I'll watch this and sleep afterwards' movie.

• 4 months later...

In twenty years time, people watching this movie will be really confused why this one goes to such lengths to get Brian retired and pay tribute to the character on the way out, because it ends with just a 'For Paul' without bringing up the RIP 1973-2013.

Can't help but think that if they hadn't had to do the massive re-write, Djimon Hounsou's character would have been the main villain in the next movie.