DVDVR Message Board

The Fast and Furious franchise thread

LethalStriker

Apparently, with over half the movie done, there is serious consideration of scrapping the whole thing and doing a complete re-write.  Does anyone think that this may be the last in the series?

If they move off the July 11 date and move it to spring 2015 (or whenever), I think it would be easier to continue raking in the cash. It's possible that they felt it wouldn't be in good taste to kill off the character mid-movie and/or edit the film Wagons East style for continuity purposes. Giving his friends and family time to grieve and allowing the screenwriters to pen something better as a tribute is smarter for the franchise's health.

They run into a problem with availability, though.

If you're talking about release dates, then see my post above.

More about filming dates, really.

Above all else.. this is a film series about family and the story has always revolved around the relationship between Dom, Brian, Mia and now the baby. You can't just make Black the "new Paul Walker."

It's not like 2 Fast 2 Furious was a failure here either. It made more money worldwide than the original and everyone knew that Vin was not going to be in it. Walker is not as big of a star as Vin Diesel but some are underestimating what he meant to the franchise.

I feel writing him and Mia off into hiding is probably the best way to go. Really, I hope this is the final one in the series... but Universal is not going to put an end to a multi-billion dollar franchise.

Not what I intended at all but I can see how it looks that way. As you said, this is about family. Han was family to both Dom and Sean.

Where there many have been issues trying to squeeze the Sean character into a longer term story, through this crisis there presents an oppertunity.

I think that Sean being presented as a kid learning the real dangers of this life could be huge. He is in the spot Dom was in when we started The Fast and The Furious; He is the king of the local street scene. He has the car, the crew, the connections, the respect etc.

He's looking after his family.

With Han's death he blamed DK and settled that score by taking his honor and having him banished. Now that we know it was Shaw it opens a bigger world to Sean's eyes.

The end of Tokyo Drift could be written as Dom coming to warn Sean to stay away. To say "Hey kid, you can handle yourself at this level (hand at waist height) but the shit we are in is all the way up here (hand at eye level) so regardless of what you hear out on the streets, this isn't your fight."

Then there are a bunch of directions and themes - What counts as family? How does someone from the outside get accepted? Themes around step family/children and seperated familes. Han had 2 families that never met, what happens when they need to work together? What happens when the original family (Dom and co) come into the new family (Sean and co) and try to play the 'bigger brother'?

Im probably going waaaaay too far in fantasy booking all this. I highly doubt it'll be done this way. All I was trying to get across is that despite the awful thing that has happened, the Fast and Furious story is far from over and, in fact, has a chance to expand it's story.

Not trying to replace Paul Walker/Brian O'Connor, just looking at how this crisis has presented an oppertunity.

Apparently, with over half the movie done, there is serious consideration of scrapping the whole thing and doing a complete re-write. Does anyone think that this may be the last in the series?

If they move off the July 11 date and move it to spring 2015 (or whenever), I think it would be easier to continue raking in the cash. It's possible that they felt it wouldn't be in good taste to kill off the character mid-movie and/or edit the film Wagons East style for continuity purposes. Giving his friends and family time to grieve and allowing the screenwriters to pen something better as a tribute is smarter for the franchise's health.

They run into a problem with availability, though.

If you're talking about release dates, then see my post above.

More about filming dates, really.

Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez ain't exactly in movies left and right. The Rock would be the only problem, but they can figure something out.

Or they can take her out.

The studio isn't going to let Jordana fucking Brewster of all people hold up a movie that grosses $800 million. She would get the Terrence Howard treatment really quickly if she tried that bullshit. She knows her place.

Goddammit, that just made me even sadder.

I just finished watched FF6. It was as awesome as I expected it to be. And while Paul Walker is a huge loss, the franchise can move on without him. There isn't any kind of cliffhanger at the end of 6 that demands his return in 7. They should just find someone else to take his spot and I know just the guy.

He's the actor I used to hate, but now watch anything he's in. Yeah, that's right motherfuckers.

Channing Tatum.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I'm starting to think Michael Bay produces these trailers for the franchise. Is there going to be another trailer at a later date that explains the plot better? :P

If you can't see the difference between this and Michael Bay's shit, you're the one at fault.

Cars with parachutes. Yup I am ALL IN

They have come so far from the days of stealing DVD players

I was about to say the same thing. 

They have gone from being common thieves to being a global strike force that is equal parts GI JOE and Initial D.

The movies are the spiritual sequels to made-for tv movie, Rolling Thunder, and Megaforce.  Only better.

I'm starting to think Michael Bay produces these trailers for the franchise. Is there going to be another trailer at a later date that explains the plot better? :P

The Statham is the brother of the baddie from the last movie, he kills one of them, chaos ensues.  

Fast movies don't need plot.  They're just awesome.  

You have to start somewhere. Al Capone didn't become Al Capone in a day. He probably started off stealing penny candy or some shit. But seriously, the guys like Paul Walker and The Rock do have an extensive background in law enforcement. Vin Diesel doesn't but he's a huge fucking roided up gear head so I give him a pass. Luda is all connected in the black market and shit. I'm probably spending way too much time on this. To me.. it makes SOME sense but it definitely does not have to. I'll say this. Whoever's idea it was to switch this up from drag racing to a heist series with fast cars is a fucking genius.

6 doesn't make as much sense if you haven't seen 4... and 4 does introduce characters who are important in 5 and 6. On the other hand, it's like watching the Star Wars films for the first time, and starting with Attack of the Clones - I am watching a not very good movie to help me enjoy a good movie later.