DVDVR Message Board

The Fast and Furious franchise thread

LethalStriker

The guy who really needs to come back for this next FF movie obviously is Sonny Chiba.

I held hope that they cast Burt Reynolds as Brian's uncle, the guy that taught him all about cars and women and life, for a big Chiba vs Reynolds bar fight.

If the casting news of F&F7 wasn't awesome enough as is, you can add Kurt Russell to the group of actors.

That'll do.

Uncle Jeff Taylor sounds just fine to me ;)

With the completion of the Riddick trilogy where does Vin go for his non F&F films to work on?  F&F 7 is getting fast tracked to be out next year but you have to think that part 8 won't be out till at least 2016 so that leaves a lot of down time in his work schedule.

Kind of hope he does some more smaller budget movies and even some supporting roles.  I thought he was good in Boiler Room and Knockaround Guys.

I believe they want to do two more Riddick movies..

• 3 weeks later...

Lucas Black has been added to the cast to reprise his role from Tokyo Drift. From Deadline.com

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/lucas-back-is-back-behind-the-wheel-for-fast-furious-7-and-beyond/

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/lucas-back-is-back-behind-the-wheel-for-fast-furious-7-and-beyond/'>EXCLUSIVE: Lucas Black, who starred in Fast & Furious 3: Tokyo Drift, is returning to reprise his Sean Boswell role in Fast & Furious 7. Black, most recently seen as Pee Wee Reese in the Jackie Robinson film 42, has signed a deal that calls for his character to become a regular in the series and he will be part of at least the next three installments of Universal Pictures’ most lucrative film franchise. Fast & Furious 7 will be released next July 11.

Lucas Black has been added to the cast to reprise his role from Tokyo Drift. From Deadline.com

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/lucas-back-is-back-behind-the-wheel-for-fast-furious-7-and-beyond/

EXCLUSIVE: Lucas Black, who starred in Fast & Furious 3: Tokyo Drift, is returning to reprise his Sean Boswell role in Fast & Furious 7. Black, most recently seen as Pee Wee Reese in the Jackie Robinson film 42, has signed a deal that calls for his character to become a regular in the series and he will be part of at least the next three installments of Universal Pictures’ most lucrative film franchise. Fast & Furious 7 will be released next July 11.

Great news. He is fantastically terrible in Tokyo Drift. Seeing him in the next one will be like dropping Tommy Wisseau into the cast and I'm pretty pumped for it. 

These movies seriously have something for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone brought up the point that with the year and out of sequence order, that cars in the "past" aka pre Tokyo Drift, would be more advanced than in the present/future "during/post" Tokyo Drift.  I don't think that's an issue, cause i don't think anyone will care, but the biggest difference between 2006 and 2014 would be cell phones.  Everyone had a flip phone in Tokyo Drift except during the end when they were did the product placement for a phone that streamed video.  

And they really have to bring Bow Wow back.  He really was the glue, character-wise, in Tokyo Drift.  They have been so good with getting actors to come back and reprise roles that I can see them working something out.

Someone brought up the point that with the year and out of sequence order, that cars in the "past" aka pre Tokyo Drift, would be more advanced than in the present/future "during/post" Tokyo Drift.  I don't think that's an issue, cause i don't think anyone will care, but the biggest difference between 2006 and 2014 would be cell phones.  Everyone had a flip phone in Tokyo Drift except during the end when they were did stuffing instead of potatoes placement for a phone that streamed video.

After all the crazy shit that has gone down in all of these movies, I don't think there will be any problem with people having an issue with out of date cell phone technology.  They didn't have a problem with the 200 mile long runway.  They didn't have a problem with them killing thousands of people in Brazil.  They didn't have an issue with Letty dying and coming back from the dead. 

Also if we need anyone back from the old movies it is Eva Mendes and her fine ass.  Seriously, There are 27 dudes cast in this movie and...wait has anyone looked at the imdb for this movie?  They are adding Kurt Russell, Djimon Hounsou, Tony Jaa, Nathalie Emmanuel(Daenarys' sexy ass translator from Game of Thrones), and Ronda Rousey.  Is there another franchise that has ever decided that they would go out of their way to above and beyond to satisfy their fanbase?  Once they added The Rock, this franchise turned from a movie about car racing criminals with hearts of gold to over the top heist movies that are 85% fun 15% dumb.  The dumb is the part that actually sets it apart from all the other franchises, they don't even pretend to be making serious movies.

Is there a better person that Kurt Fuckin Russell to ham it up in a Fast movie?  Can they make this a Stuntman Mike orgin story, where they have him chilling in a bar chatting up chicks and then killing them.  Dom and Letty have an argument, and she storms out to have a beer and guess who is there just hanging out. Letty drinks too much and Stuntman Mike, who has finally broken through her rugged exterior, offers her a ride home.  He smashes his convieniently reinforced car into a wall and Letty is thrown through the windshield and Mike calls Jason Stathom's character and says, "It's done" then drives away cackling maniacally.  Letty gets found on the side of the road and is in a coma(because Letty can't die) and we get the awkward scene of Vin Diesel and Paul Walker in the hospital trying to act.  The band gets back together to take down Stuntman Mike and his British cousin Stuntman Steve.

• Like 1

Fast Five did an amazing job of rebranding and resurrecting the franchise.  It catered to the long time Fast and Furious fans with nostalgia and managed to bring in new fans and completely revitalized the Rock's movie career.  

I always felt Fast and Furious was done purely for nostalgia purposes and it ended up making more money than they thought it would. They couldn't have played Fast Five and Six any better.  I don't think there ever was a franchise that changed the basic premise of the films and was able to keep the nostalgic, old fans and new fans happy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

No, it's not going to be the last in the series. Especially after the Riddick reboot died a swift and decisive death. With all due respect to Walker - and I was definitely a fan of what he brought to the movies - this is Vin Diesel's franchise. As long as they make money, they'll keep making them because it's his signature role. Especially now that he's sort of altered the concept from "Cool road race movie ripped off of Point Break" to "Expendables but with guys who haven't gotten their AARP cards yet."

Without Walker and considering they're picking up after Tokyo Drift, I don't understand why they don't just move Lucas Black's character into the Dom's Little Brother role and just say Brian and Mia had their baby and decided to put the high speed car chases behind them.   

Apparently, with over half the movie done, there is serious consideration of scrapping the whole thing and doing a complete re-write.  Does anyone think that this may be the last in the series?

If they move off the July 11 date and move it to spring 2015 (or whenever), I think it would be easier to continue raking in the cash. It's possible that they felt it wouldn't be in good taste to kill off the character mid-movie and/or edit the film Wagons East style for continuity purposes. Giving his friends and family time to grieve and allowing the screenwriters to pen something better as a tribute is smarter for the franchise's health.

2015 is going to be a killer year as far as having to compete against other big franchise movies, having the movie next year was why they were green lighting it so fast to avoid all of those movies the following year.  But then again delaying the movie at all basically puts it into 2015 since these movies are the definition of summer movies, you're not going to release a F&F movie in November.

2015 is going to be a killer year as far as having to compete against other big franchise movies, having the movie next year was why they were green lighting it so fast to avoid all of those movies the following year.  But then again delaying the movie at all basically puts it into 2015 since these movies are the definition of summer movies, you're not going to release a F&F movie in November.

Fast and Furious is going to make its money. Once they find a date (and I believe there are plenty left in 2015), other movies will get out of the way and move somewhere else. It has already happened for other established franchises in the last few months.

Without Walker and considering they're picking up after Tokyo Drift, I don't understand why they don't just move Lucas Black's character into the Dom's Little Brother role and just say Brian and Mia had their baby and decided to put the high speed car chases behind them.   

That's the easiest and most dignified course to take.  Brian gets written off, going into the sunset to be happy.  I don't think anyone would argue with that scenario.

Apparently, with over half the movie done, there is serious consideration of scrapping the whole thing and doing a complete re-write.  Does anyone think that this may be the last in the series?

If they move off the July 11 date and move it to spring 2015 (or whenever), I think it would be easier to continue raking in the cash. It's possible that they felt it wouldn't be in good taste to kill off the character mid-movie and/or edit the film Wagons East style for continuity purposes. Giving his friends and family time to grieve and allowing the screenwriters to pen something better as a tribute is smarter for the franchise's health.

They run into a problem with availability, though.

That's the easiest and most dignified course to take.  Brian gets written off, going into the sunset to be happy.  I don't think anyone would argue with that scenario.

Yep.

A simple rewrite would be that Shaw attacks Mia and the baby at home so the two of them and Brian have to vanish to be safe. Dom, Hobbs and the crew take the series forward for the next couple of chapters.

Looking at it from a franchise point of view this could be a huge break for Lucas Black. Obviously what happened is tragic but from a series standpoint he could be written into a major role going forward as an 'apprentice' of sorts for Dom's crew. The end of Tokyo Drift really does leave alot of options open to them going forward.

They run into a problem with availability, though.

If you're talking about release dates, then see my post above.

Above all else.. this is a film series about family and the story has always revolved around the relationship between Dom, Brian, Mia and now the baby. You can't just make Black the "new Paul Walker."

It's not like 2 Fast 2 Furious was a failure here either. It made more money worldwide than the original and everyone knew that Vin was not going to be in it. Walker is not as big of a star as Vin Diesel but some are underestimating what he meant to the franchise.

I feel writing him and Mia off into hiding is probably the best way to go. Really, I hope this is the final one in the series... but Universal is not going to put an end to a multi-billion dollar franchise.