DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2016 UPCOMING MOVIE TYPE THINGS:

RIPPA

I blame it more on Hollywood than on her. How many tasteful, intelligent comedies does anyone ever make starring a fat chick? Or a fat ANYONE really, but "fatty go boom" humor does seem to be even more obnoxiously prevalent when it's a female comic lead.

Sure enough, his post on Facebook: 

I'd just assume rather watch a bunch of PeTA's animal slaughterhouse videos than watch the new quote un quote "Ghostbusters" trailer.

I'd just assume that anyone who can't correctly write the phrase "just as soon" is someone whose intellectual opinions are likely to contain a dearth of merit. And he can't blame it on Autocorrect, that would've flagged "un quote" as being improperly written.

And on Facebook, I've seen countless fucktons of people who violently object to the whole "they're all girls" aspect of it in a really disgustingly misogynistic manner. It ain't just the "all remakes suck!" crowd (although they're out in full force too), but a disturbing quantity of guys and even some gals who seem to regard the mere concept of a gender-swapped reboot as being morally offensive. Or even aesthetically offensive, I couldn't begin to guess how many "LOL those women are ugly" jokes I've seen written about McCarthy and Jones.

McCarthy is a brilliant comedic actress with impeccable timing...

Who does a lot of really fucking terrible scripts that water her immense talents on fatty go boom humor of the worst sort.

The Boss looks like one of the worst movies of all time. One thing that I can say about this trailer is it didn't hurt my soul like that one did.

I was five when the first one came out, and I think I saw the 2nd one at drive-thru(those places were the BOMB!), but although I like the movies, I never thought they were particularly funny. Most "comedies" from the time period are not very funny to me,  even if I like the movie(think back to the future or Beverly Hills Cop). Having said all that, I have reboot fatigue, but if it gets good reviews, I'll see it.  

When you rewatch the first Ghostbusters now, it's really jarring how someone or other is smoking in basically every scene. Watched it with Xav when he was 4 or 5 and that really stood out.

McCarthy is the kind of person that has a chance to make enough money in films to become her own producer at some point. I would hope that opens up opportunities to make at least one or two movies of a better calibre, because she does seem talented.

McCarthy is the kind of person that has a chance to make enough money in films to become her own producer at some point. I would hope that opens up opportunities to make at least one or two movies of a better calibre, because she does seem talented.

McCarthy produced TAMMY. I think she even let her husband direct.

Since we are talking about controversial movies (at least in terms of how people are reacting to their trailers)

http://youtu.be/W3EWygLE_No

I can't think of a film that will barely be in theaters that has gotten thrashed like this one on Twitter. Just brutal.

To be fair, this one has been getting lambasted since day one years before a trailer even came out.

Go back and look at how they treated Stonewall.  (Not that it wasn't deserved.)

Holy hell.  

I don't remember Stonewall trending for an entire 48 hours like this one did. That's a feat on its own.

Plus, the case against that Stonewall film doesn't even have close to the personal venom that the Nina Simone biopic has. This is some deep racial shit.

No one from Nina Simone's estate supports the film, but even her daughter is like, "Goddamn, yall have to stop this vicious attack on Zoe Saldana."

To reinforce my earlier point about the Ghostbusters trailer being a poorly made teaser, as opposed to the "garbage in, garbage out" assumption many people are having about the entire movie: just watch this fan-edited recut of the teaser and see how much better the exact same footage can look when presented in a different manner.

I may be in the biggest minority camp of all because I'm more interested in watching the new Ghostbusters than rewatching the original. Admittedly that started with a desire to sit down for a film with a nice big cup of misogynist tears (see also Mad Max: Fury Road) but the trailer sold me at a couple points. By "THE POWER OF PAIN COMPELS YOU!" I was all in.

By "THE POWER OF PAIN COMPELS YOU!" I was all in.

Weird, I also thought that's what she said. But go back and listen again, she actually says "the power of Patty compels you!" (Jones's character is named Patty) and then I became a sad panda because that's a much less funny line.

Dark Tower has already been bumped back a month from 1/13/17 to 2/17/17

That was Bad Boys 3 spot - it moves to 6/2/17

That was Barbie's spot so it moves to 5/12/17

No one from Nina Simone's estate supports the film, but even her daughter is like, "Goddamn, yall have to stop this vicious attack on Zoe Saldana."

Yeah, that "keep Nina's name out your mouth forever" tweet was some ridiculous shit.

I hope the people behind the new Ghostbusters ain't relying on some internet "not liking our casting makes you a bigot" shit to help them out at the box office. Didn't work so well for the Fantastic Four reboot...