DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2016 UPCOMING MOVIE TYPE THINGS:

RIPPA

Looks alright, but minus points for a lame music snob cliche shot at Phil Collins Genesis. The run from Duke through Abacab to their self-titled was fucking brilliant...

"In the Air Tonight" is better than any 80's one hit wonder they can shoehorn into this trailer in a cynical attempt at Gen X nostalgia.  I liked this movie the first time when it was called The Commitments.

• Like 1

Divatox floats my boat

For sure.  

And a bit of research turned up something interesting.   The producers aren't really interested in using Zedd or Rita as an antagonists because they want the movie to be semi-serious (not sure why everything has to be so dark and foreboding these days) so it is possible that Banks will either play an established female PR villain like Divatox, Bansheera or Scorpina or they may come up with something else.

I babysat my cousins when I lived in Detroit so I suffered through a lot of Power Ranger incarnations  They outgrew PR around the time SPD came out, thank God.

So the Fast and Furious series will make it to episode 10 before Star Wars* does, despite starting 23 years later? Are there any other franchises outside of the Horror genre that made it up that high? I can't think of any... they could make a few of Creed sequels and say that's 10 Rocky movies, and Alien you've got 4, 2 Alien vs Predator and Prometheus 1 & 2, but that's still only eight. And they aren't getting another Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings movie together any time soon**...

*Obviously there will have been more than 10 Star Wars movies first, because Episode 8 will be the actual 10th if you count the Clone Wars.

** The Animated one from the 70s doesn't count. Not part of the series, the series is an arguable remake of it sort of.

I guess it is up to JT the martial arts movie geek to also add Zatoichi.

Some old fart here at LESD mentioned some raunchy UK comedy franchise called Carry On, but I've never heard of it.

I guess it is up to JT the martial arts movie geek to also add Zatoichi.

Some old fart here at LESD mentioned some raunchy UK comedy franchise called Carry On, but I've never heard of it.

Arent there also 5 or 6 Lone Wolf ans Cub movies?

The answer is Godzilla. The answer is always Godzilla.

Well, the man excluded "horror" so I kinda blotted out Godzilla even though every movie following Gojira / Gojira has not really been a horror film.

For shame, J.T.

Oh, I remembered Godzilla.  It was my first answer but then I mentally disqualified it due to the "other than horror" statement.  Zatoichi was my second answer followed by James Bond and Planet of the Apes.

For shame, J.T.

Oh, I remembered Godzilla.  It was my first answer but then I mentally disqualified it due to the "other than horror" statement.  Zatoichi was my second answer followed by James Bond and Planet of the Apes.

A planet consumed by apes is in no way horrifying.

See, arguably Bond doesn't count because it's not properly episodic... we aren't seriously supposed to think that the James Bond who was Sean Connery in the 60s is the same man who was Roger Moore in the 80s and is Daniel Craig now, are we? It's basically rebooted every time they recast (although they were rebooting it years before anyone used to word 'Boot' to mean start, so really rebooting a franchise should be called Lazenbying).

Carry On movies aren't episodic either. They all had the same cast, but they all played different characters. Well, characters with different names. Usually the Sid James character was a lot like every other Sid James character, and the Kenneth Williams one was a lot like Kenneth Williams. 

Different, see?

Every Bond from Connery through Bronson were supposed to be the same guy, and there are many callbacks and references to through out them, despite popular can theories.

Craig is the first true reboot.

So the Fast and Furious series will make it to episode 10 before Star Wars* does, despite starting 23 years later? Are there any other franchises outside of the Horror genre that made it up that high? I can't think of any... they could make a few of Creed sequels and say that's 10 Rocky movies, and Alien you've got 4, 2 Alien vs Predator and Prometheus 1 & 2, but that's still only eight. And they aren't getting another Hobbit/ Lord of the Rings movie together any time soon**...

Uhm, Star Trek?

If only they still made those Police Academy films at the same rate they used to.

• Like 1