DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2016 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Official name is Nintendo Switch. The video had no narration, just shows people playing with different forms (handheld, tablet, attached to TV). Gmes shown included Splatoon and an NBA game and other stuff I didn't get a great look at. Looks like when it's not in handheld form you can either use the Game pad Pro or a tiny device made of the snap-on pieces that you use in handheld mode? I'm not positive.

It looks really cool and almost practical, but if online still sucks and if 3rd party support evaporates after it's released, then it's just another Nintendo system to collect dust. Skyrim being in the trailer just reminds me of Arkham City in the trailer for the Wii U. I mean, cool, you're showing off video of an updated game that isn't really powered by the actual system, so it remains to be seen how well it can power it. 

Had they shown something new, besides Zelda since we all know that will run well, like a Mass Effect Andromeda, Battlefield 1, or another AAA release coming out in 2017, then there would be a bit more to be excited about. I'm still hopeful though, more hopeful than I was for the Wii U.

Also, I wonder what people are more excited for: The Nintendo Classic or the Nintendo Switch.

• Like 2

The blonde in the airport is really cute, but that song is annoying and the idea that a basketball arena full of people would show up to watch a fucking Splatoon tournament is hilarious.

As for the system itself, essentially a reverse Nokia N-Gage (a portable gaming system coming out a time when people want a phone with a portable gaming system), looks like a loser. 

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Had they shown something new, besides Zelda since we all know that will run well, like a Mass Effect Andromeda, Battlefield 1, or another AAA release coming out in 2017, then there would be a bit more to be excited about. I'm still hopeful though, more hopeful than I was for the Wii U.

At 2:10 that looks like a new Mario to me.

Right, but again, we know there will be new Nintendo games on it. So a new Mario or new Zelda means nothing. That's to be expected. What's important is that if this can be a system to really do it all.

I was on board with Nintendo Switch (what's the next system after that? Nintendo Router? Nintendo Hub? Nintendo Protocol Stack?) until I found that it's built on Nvidia Tegra chips. The miniature controllers look like hand cramp city.

So of course it will not be powerful at all. It's going to run crappy mobile games really well and can barely run Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Switch but that's it.

You won't see Battlefield 1, Mass Effect Andromeda or anything decent for XB1/PS4 on there.

I'm willing to wait and see regarding mutliplat, although I don't especially care because I have a PS4. If it's comparable then I'm fine. Granted I'm not Typical Male Gamer - I'd rather go to work or clean my terlit than play yet another war themed FPS.

Nintendo games and the evolved Wii U form factor makes it a win for me.

4 hours ago, Vincey Greene said:

I'm willing to wait and see regarding mutliplat, although I don't especially care because I have a PS4. If it's comparable then I'm fine. Granted I'm not Typical Male Gamer - I'd rather go to work or clean my terlit than play yet another war themed FPS.

Nintendo games and the evolved Wii U form factor makes it a win for me.

For me, if it has a niche Japanese RPG from someone like NIS America or Atlus or Aksys, I'm there along with my war themed FPS.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished Dragon Age Origins. Should I go straight on to DA:2, or should I do Walking Dead season one or SR: Gat Out of Hell as a palate cleanser first?

Rippa's rants on the game crushing bugs of DA2 in the Dragon Age thread would tend to make me vote "palate clenser."

His utter loathing of DA2 is arguably the reason I've never sat down and beaten the game.

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Finally finished Dragon Age Origins. Should I go straight on to DA:2, or should I do Walking Dead season one or SR: Gat Out of Hell as a palate cleanser first?

Play DA:2. Its not w/o its faults, but is good game. The game breaking bugs are pretty much absent at this point. I didn't even know they existed at one point until people here told me of them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AxB said:

DA2 is much shorter (due to EA fuckery) than DA:O and has a different feel. And as Eivion pointed out, all the bugs have been patched out at this point. I'd go straight while the story from DA:O is fresh in your mind, so you can see the parallels early on and the repercussions later.

• Like 1

Yeah, I heard on the Andromenerds podcast that DA:2 had a much shorter development time than it should have had (hence the initial bugginess). But I decided to jump into it first anyway. So far it's way better than Origins was - it's like the jump between ME1 gameplay and ME2 gameplay, only without actually changing genre or anything.

Also, I thought this was the catch-all thread, not upcoming. Sorry.

18 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Blizzard announced that Diablo 3 players who have the Reaper of Souls expansion will be getting "The Darkening of Tristram", a 20th anniversary remake of Diablo 1 in the D3 engine, for free. PS4 players had better not be left out is all I'm saying.

They confirmed it was coming to PS4.

I was hoping for a new expansion, but this is free so better than nothing.

Watch Dogs 2 Multiplayer is broken and won't be fully ready at launch (tomorrow)

Ubisoft

Watch Dogs 2 Seamless Multiplayer Statement

During the pre-launch phase of Watch Dogs 2, we were disappointed to discover an issue tied to the seamless multiplayer feature that caused the game to lag and crash periodically. In order to eliminate that issue at launch and for players to enjoy a smooth game play experience, we have decided to wait to launch the seamless multiplayer feature so it would not impact the core gameplay experience.

To be clear, players can fully enjoy the entire single-player experience without any concerns. Additionally, co-op is still fully functional by inviting friends through the game menu. However, the Bounty-Hunter mode and other activities that would occur with other outside players who enter your game will be unavailable until the issue is resolved. We truly appreciate the patience of our player community.