DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2016 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I both really like EWR while thinking it just didn't have anything even approaching enough depth or difficulty to view it as a game I was overly excited about.

"Hey, I'll sign all the really good guys on the indys, have them work good matches, then have them work feuds with older guys I don't like, and then I'll put up great shows!" Yeah, it works, but it lacks in depth completely. 

Not saying the current TEW setup is perfect or anything. "Technical Wrestling" as a style is a basterdized term, and the difference between "Chain Wrestling", "Mat Wrestling, and "Submissions" can be widely debated. And I think there should be ways to have matches highlight certain guys strengths as well (Booking Cesaro or Ant-Man working in major power spots into there matches to wow the crowd, for instance).

Really, the only thing i can think that TEW lost compared to EWR was the match write ups. I kinda miss those. Would it be that hard to implement them again?

My main attraction to EWR was how easy it was to mod which led to hilarious shit like the WWF vs. WCW vs. (my e-fed) vs. Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter period in history which I'm sure you all remember.

I have a nonzero chance of calling in sick 2/17 to play SFV all day. Still thinking about Lego Avengers; TTG have yet to make a legit bad Lego game, but "play as character X/reenact movie Y" stopped feeling like a reason to buy a particular Lego game long ago.

Also, bought Danganronpa 1 yesterday during the essentials sale because "Ace Attorney with bonus anime nihilism" is something that I want while recognizing that I shouldn't want it.

I wouldn't recommend it- I'd say there's a good chance of choppy servers the first couple of days of SFV.

They've been running the beta the last couple of nights.   I think Capcom is doing everything possible to have a smooth launch, but sometimes even that isn't enough. 

I think seeing that Balrog - who I mained in SF4 - is season pass content makes me not even want to bother with 5. Which sucks but I'm not paying $90 for Street Fighter.

Also the whole "here's 75% of the game" nature of such things disgusts me and I think it won't go away if we all keep rolling over and taking it.

Edit: I'm a big dumb dumb. Upon further reading, you can unlock the dlc characters without buying them. So I'm all in.

As a big Twisted Metal fan, I'm pretty curious about David Jaffe's game, Drawn to Death. I like class-based shooters. And I love the "metalhead high school kid doodling" art style. And maybe most importantly, I wanna see how he does f2p differently the everyone else. Because Jaffe just thinks differently.

I backed Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, and it looks like it's coming together nicely from a graphical/art direction standpoint! This is one of the better Kickstarters I've seen for staying in constant contact with backers and sharing updates of the work. 

I just bought SotN for my Vita on the latest Sony sale, and I'll make my way through it again (never got close to the 209.3% or whatever total completion is in this game), but it will be nice to eventually have a modern spiritual successor to that game from Igarashi himself.

• Like 1

Watched the Giant Bomb video of The Division and...it looks pretty cool...but too familiar to Destiny.

The problem I have with games like that are bullet sponge enemies and it's even more ridiculous in The Division. For example, I watched Jeff and other NPCs dump rounds into a "named" mob and it took so much to kill the mob, which was just a normal human being. Later in the video, Jeff ventures into the Dark Zone, which is the PvP area, and it's the same shit there, just a bit more toned down so everyone isn't as much of a bullet sponge, but at the same time, your armor and gear is pretty irrelevant.

It's weird because the game looks like it tows this line between being Destiny and not being Destiny, but in the wrong way for each. Like Destiny, everyone is a bullet sponge. Then in PvP, it differs from Destiny where there isn't much to set you apart from anyone else and you're more of a sponge than you are in Destiny.

At the same time, The Division does some cool shit when it comes to forming groups. It looks like you can join groups on the fly and as you do their version of a Strike, you're auto-placed into a group then as well. Now, I know Destiny does this too, but it looks so much smoother in the Division. Dark Zone looks really rad. So, from what I could tell, there's good guys and rogues. You go rogue by turning on your team. Once your turn on your team, or even a lone teammate, you're the enemy. I have no idea if you can become a good guy again before dying, but it's a neat mechanic.

Jeff and Dan were pretty high on the beta and seemed to really like it. To me, it looked pretty interesting. I may rent it from a Redbox to give it a shot. The environments look beautiful. More next-gen than any other game out there today and the sounds rival those of Battlefield.

I will probably be the worst person in the beta

One of my DARPA friends has a code also.  I suspect we won't see him around the Cosmodrome for a while.

Knowing him, his will focus mostly on weapon geekery.