DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Well, if this is true, I can't even imagine what Wrestlemania will look like.

I'm wondering what amount of money Vince McMahon would be willing to pay the Rock to get him to wrestle at Wrestlemania at this point.

It's gone past even Rock and Goldberg now, and up to Vince probably being desperate enough to say "It opens March 25...everyone needs publicity...see if Warner Bros. will let us run Henry Cavill as Superman vs. Ben Affleck as Batman at Wrestlemania, dammit!"

Here is the matches I would book if I was in charge

Reigns Vs Lesnar Vs The Undertaker Vs HHH

Nakemura Vs Bryan

AJ Styles Vs Jericho

The Wyatts Vs Big Show, Kane, Mark Henry and Ryback

Owens Vs Zayn

Neville Vs Finn Balor

New Day Vs Dudleys Vs Hardyz Vs Lucha Dragons in a TLC match

Sasha Banks Vs Bayley Vs Charlotte Vs Becky Lynch

And I'm not even sure what one specific match I would want to see. Reigns vs HHH, Reigns vs Brock 2, and Reigns vs Owens all look fun enough, and again, it's irrelevant from an interest standpoint because of tickets being sold and the Network. Vince McMahon could book himself against Reigns in the main event for all we know. WWE doesn't have to do anything.

I would also want to see Owens vs Brock, Owens vs Taker, or hell, Owens vs Ambrose if they could draw that out long enough, which I doubt. Or Owens loses to a Brogue Kick in a few seconds because what I want doesn't matter. If anything from Daniel Bryan eating that Brogue Kick until now has taught me, what I want doesn't matter, even when it looks like WWE is doing what I want, they're just doing so in a begrudging way. Even with Reigns winning the title, what I wanted was the Reigns from the Shield destroying people and shutting up, and once again I thought I finally got that for all of one and a half shows, until it was right back to business as usual. I could also see AJ Styles having a fun match against ADR, and me from pre-grizzled and grumpy AJ Styles would think that was CRAZY because I didn't like AJ Styles at all. There's something about that guy being really surly that I like, though.

That is just what I would do, either that or split the main event into 2 matches but none of the combinations of the 4 excite me where as a 4 way would at least have some intrigue, it just what I would do, I never said it was good lol.

Just trying to fit everyone in there, I know what you mean though.

Well honestly - if the Main Event was a 4-way there would be no other ones on the card

The Andre Battle Royal is how they get everyone on the card now

I really think there just isn't a good answer right now and that's fascinating to me.

Something has to give. They almost have to do something more interesting than what they would do if they even had 1-2 more guys healthy.

I do think they have some potentially compelling match ups. The big problem with that main event 4 way is that you need those guys for more than one match. You need every bit of star power you can get pushed around the card.

Brock vs Reigns isn't a bad main event. I like the idea that Reigns has to survive Brock. (You could also do Brock vs Ambrose or Brock vs Owens and they'd feel satisfying, I think. Reigns could go up against HHH but that's about it. Turning Ambrose to give him an opponent would be a mistake).

Undertaker is the hardest one but I think Taker vs Ambrose is sort of compelling. Honestly, if you have Rock, that's where you stick him. Rock vs Undertaker would feel like a big deal even if it shouldn't.

Rock vs HHH would be a relative mistake. HHH vs Ambrose feels like it'd have a lot more meaning. Ambrose is a far better Austin than Reigns is.

Reigns vs Brock

Taker vs Rock

HHH vs Ambrose

is a pretty good nucleus to build around right now.

They'd be foolish not to do Owens vs Zayn because there's backstory there that they can build upon. That's the only gimme they have right now save for Brock vs Reigns II, but I can almost bet you that it doesn't feel like a gimme to them.

It doesn't really matter what they do but it still sort of does because it's Wrestlemania and it has a reputational element. If they tank it, that's precedent. 

Well honestly - if the Main Event was a 4-way there would be no other ones on the card

Didn't the Battle Royal happen on the pre-show last year?

Last year's way of getting dudes on the card was the TLC IC title match.

The last thing I'd want to see if Taker beating more guys that the company should be building around, but if the flip side of that coin is Rock vs Taker? No thanks. If I were putting together WM on WWE 2K16 with the roster as it's setup now, I'd go:

Reigns vs Brock 2

HHH vs Rock (not enough credit is given to how good their feuds were, better than Austin vs Rock)

Charlotte vs Sasha for the Divas title

Owens vs Taker where Owens retires Taker

AJ Styles vs ADR for the US title

New Day vs Wyatts for the tag titles

Rusev vs Sheamus

Pre-Show:

Andre Battle Royal

Ambrose vs Austin Creed vs Bray vs Dolph for the IC title

Personally, I don't think they'll - magically - clear Bryan to wrestle.

I do think Bryan has some leverage right now if he wants to try to force their hand.  I feel like if Bryan can't get cleared now when the top of the card is fairly depleted, he probably has to leave the company to get back in the ring.

I don't really want to see Bryan in the ring again.  Between the concussion issues and the head/neck problems, I find it hard to watch Bryan.  I think I cringed at least once a match during his last comeback.

Didn't the Battle Royal happen on the pre-show last year?

Last year's way of getting dudes on the card was the TLC IC title match.

Well they had two pre-show matches last year - they moved the Battle Royal at the last minute clearly due to the timing issues of having the never ending Rousey/Rock segment

Personally, I don't think they'll - magically - clear Bryan to wrestle.

I do think Bryan has some leverage right now if he wants to try to force their hand.  I feel like if Bryan can't get cleared now when the top of the card is fairly depleted, he probably has to leave the company to get back in the ring.

I don't really want to see Bryan in the ring again.  Between the concussion issues and the head/neck problems, I find it hard to watch Bryan.  I think I cringed at least once a match during his last comeback.

He was also wrestling more reckless during his comeback to make up for the fact that he wasn't as fast or as smooth. So it led to a dude who just came back from neck issues still doing diving headbutts and taking head drops in every match. Shit was nonsense and WWE should have pulled him back immediately after it was clear he wasn't going to protect himself.

Here is the matches I would book if I was in charge

Reigns Vs Lesnar Vs The Undertaker Vs HHH

Nakemura Vs Bryan

AJ Styles Vs Jericho

The Wyatts Vs Big Show, Kane, Mark Henry and Ryback

Owens Vs Zayn

Neville Vs Finn Balor

New Day Vs Dudleys Vs Hardyz Vs Lucha Dragons in a TLC match

Sasha Banks Vs Bayley Vs Charlotte Vs Becky Lynch

I thought it was Frank Goodman there for a minute.

• Like 1

It'd be a waste of time. The average American wrestling fan couldn't tell New Japan from World Japan.

They can build up whatever they want as the most important thing to the majority of their audience and the audience will buy it. Just publicize the signing to prep the audience and then have the NJPW guys show up and wreck house. Boom, they're now important. 

• Like 1

It's far more likely that we get four separate HHH matches. That's not a joke either. I'm trying to think of disappointing ways that WWE deals with this, and that's what I've got. 

Sheamus wins Rumble

Defends against a returning Randy Orton in a 60 minute Iron man Match

a McMahon in every match will save the day.

HHH/Taker

HHH/Rock

Steph/Charolette/Sasha/Becky (Steph wins new champ!!!)

Vince/Reigns

HHH/One-Arm Cena

HHH & Stephs kids/Hornswoggle & El torito

the return of Shane in a ladder match with Owens/Neville/Rusev & more

HHH Vince & Shane/New Day sixman for the tag titles

It's far more likely that we get four separate HHH matches. That's not a joke either. I'm trying to think of disappointing ways that WWE deals with this, and that's what I've got. 

HHH has been tremendous the last couple of years, though. Nothing disappointing to me about Shao Kahn HHH.

• Like 1