DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I found this blind item in an uninspired article on bouncers in the current Village Voice online:

"Problems can arise when a club hosts a party outside of its personnel's comfort zone, as happened several years ago at a Times Square pro-wrestling-themed restaurant-club. From the nervous titters at coat check, it was clear that the leather-and-fetish gay crowd was far different from the usual out-of-town tourists. Things deteriorated from there, with overzealous security guards pouncing on people for popping Tic Tacs."

indeed,

RAF

Could you imagine the PR issues that would arise if the Chairman and CEO of WWE died in a wrestling ring? The stock would probably plummet immediately. Honestly, I'm surprised that shareholders haven't raised a stink about Vince being active in the ring at 70. Of course, I don't see corporate investors watching wrestling so Vince is probably good there.

Leaving Owen aside for obvious reasons, what would be the highest-profile in-ring death so far?

Misawa?  Perro Jr.?

What about in the US?

Here's the weirdest fictional depiction of an in-ring death:

Terry Funk wrestles a guy who refused to job to him, the guy dies mid-match so Funk calls an audible, wrestles the last 20 minutes of the match and wins. 

• Like 2

Leaving Owen aside for obvious reasons, what would be the highest-profile in-ring death so far?

Why would you leave Owen out for this question? He's the one people still talk about to this day. Once people put together that I live in Kansas City and like wrestling, I never fail to get asked if I was at that show (I wasn't thankfully).

I guess Perro Jr is a distant second since his death got a little bit of coverage in the US thanks to Mysterio being associated with it.

I think all in-ring deaths are accidents. At least I hope.

What about that guy that died in the ring with Khali? I think that was just in training, but it still gets brought up in urban legend/sleaze contexts many years later.

I think all in-ring deaths are accidents. At least I hope.

What about that guy that died in the ring with Khali? I think that was just in training, but it still gets brought up in urban legend/sleaze contexts many years later.

Leaving out Owen also opens up discussion about other incidents since Owen is undeniably the most high profile person to die in a professional wrestling ring. 

Technically Perro didn't die in the ring

Neither did Owen for that matter, but I don't think that's the spirit of the question. Misawa probably did literally die in the ring even if he wasn't pronounced dead right away. His neck injury was one that causes death pretty quickly, if not instantly from what I recall.

I hadn't seen that Fact or Fiction thing in a while. It originally aired on Fox in the late 90's. The part I loved about it is clearly the guy with the ancient Egyptian pharaoh gimmick is a heel but somehow he's the face? And here's Terry Funk working an all American Dusty Rhodes-esq hard times gimmick from Detroit no less and he's the heel?

We could believe Funk's character gives his opponent a "real" DDT and breaks his neck. But from what I remember, it was fiction. It's BS to wrestle 20 mins with a dead guy and not notice no matter how pumped you are.

At 70, Vince will be the oldest person to ever perform in WWE ring correct? Someone has been older and done it elsewhere in the world though right? I kinda recall a discussion about someone being 90 doing a headscissors or something equally insane for a senior citizen.

At 70, Vince will be the oldest person to ever perform in WWE ring correct? Someone has been older and done it elsewhere in the world though right? I kinda recall a discussion about someone being 90 doing a headscissors or something equally insane for a senior citizen.

Moolah. She was 76 when she won the women's championship

• Like 1