DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I beat Watch_Dogs last night and I got two trophies before I Platinum it: White Rabbit Object and Social Lubricant.

The story wasn't that bad but one thing I didn't like was:

Hidden Content Hacking Lucky Quinn's pacemaker to kill him. It doesn't make Aiden any better than the people he is going after.

The final mission was almost AC-like in turning everything on its head.

EDIT: Ubisoft needs to patch Social Lubricant again. The reticule sensitivity is way too high even on sensitivity 0 in options.

• Like 1

I am distracted from the other stuff I am playing by Dragon Quest Heroes. I like Musou games, but the Romance of the Three Kingdoms stuff is worn out for me. Applying the Musou formula to an established IP's mechanics and aesthetics is a perfect way to make what is old new again.

In particular, the tower defense focus of most of the levels really works well, though I am also a sucker for tower defense games. Plus, the writing seems to realize how goofy it and the game that it is written for both are. Best twelve bucks I have spent on a game in awhile.

• Like 1

Target's big sale this past week finally put Lego Dimensions at a point where "but you didn't beat the last Lego game you bought and the extra characters are too expensive" was not enough logic to beat "BUT YOU CAN MAKE HOMER SIMPSON RIDE K-9 AROUND!" So far I've mostly been dicking around with the Doctor Who content, which is utterly delightful. It still has the same problem as all Lego games, though, too many places where what you're supposed to do next isn't super clear and I run around breaking shit and missing something that could've used a visual cue.

• Like 1

Finally completed GTAV story mode - that was a blast. so much better than IV. Loved the triple characters. Of course, had to go option C.  Made it hella fun. I take it, theres not a lot to do in post game apart from trophy collectibles and owning the majority of the businesses, right?

They never put in any single player DLC, so there isn't a ton of stuff to do.  Some of it takes a while though, like finding all of the UFO parts.  Some of the businesses have little missions connected to them.  There are a couple of things you might have missed like the Epsilon stuff with Michael.  IIRC there is actually a 100% checklist in one of the options screens.

Why EA's support frosts my ass:

So I play The Sims on occasion when I want to, and I started playing again, and lo and behold I'm hit with a bug were my Sims freeze and stop doing anything, while the rest of the world keeps moving.  Just anything I'm directly interacting with stops doing anything.  Even looked through forums, and apparently this is a common problem that EA has known about and hasn't fixed, in over a year.  Now I'm annoyed.

I'm a sucker for all those Sims games and no matter how many issues they end up having, I always blow hundreds on each version and all the expansion packs.

I'm playing 4 now and have an issue where every time I go in to buy mode, the whole game screen goes black and I have to alt+tab out of it and back in for it to work.  It's a known issue with tons of threads dedicated to it that EA knows about and probably will just never fix. 

The Squeenix Holiday Box for PC turned out to have Soul Reaver 1 and 2, Hitman Go, the first ep of Hitman 2016 (and half off the season pass), Tomb Raider Underworld and FF13: Lightning Returns.  Guess now that I have a key for the game AND a PC that will run it, I no longer have an excuse not to try Hitman.

1 hour ago, Cliff Hanger said:

The Squeenix Holiday Box for PC turned out to have Soul Reaver 1 and 2, Hitman Go, the first ep of Hitman 2016 (and half off the season pass), Tomb Raider Underworld and FF13: Lightning Returns.  Guess now that I have a key for the game AND a PC that will run it, I no longer have an excuse not to try Hitman.

I'm going to play Lightning Returns and Goetia next year. I'm happy with what I saved on just those two.

16 hours ago, CSC said:

I'm a sucker for all those Sims games and no matter how many issues they end up having, I always blow hundreds on each version and all the expansion packs.

I'm playing 4 now and have an issue where every time I go in to buy mode, the whole game screen goes black and I have to alt+tab out of it and back in for it to work.  It's a known issue with tons of threads dedicated to it that EA knows about and probably will just never fix. 

I feel like the first part of this post explains the last part pretty well.  Not that I can talk, I love all the Elder Scrolls games and their busted asses.

Played some Diablo 3 for the first time in months last night.  It's weird to go back to after playing a ton of Grim Dawn.  Everything is so fast!

I like the concept of the Hitman games even though in practice I've found them to be 98% "walking around". But they do make you think.

Elder Scrolls V wasn't even one of the 100 most busted releases of it's own year. Like, not even close. It ain't Morrowind where the Mounhold expansion would freeze your XBox every 2 hours.

• Like 1

Anybody want Friday the 13th beta codes for PC? I believe it only runs to the 24th, it's buggy as heck, and there are server issues, BUT when you can actually play, it's really fun. PM me if you want one;l I've got 4. 

IF they can sort out the bugs, it's a heck of a game and more of what I wanted Evolve to be like. More like Alien Isolation multiplayer.

To give you an idea of where it's at (video is spoilered for size):

18 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Elder Scrolls V wasn't even one of the 100 most busted releases of it's own year. Like, not even close. It ain't Morrowind where the Mounhold expansion would freeze your XBox every 2 hours.

Morrowind made me very anti-Bethesda for many years. Even now when it's both officially and fan patched to work perfectly, I'm leery of installing it again.

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Morrowind made me very anti-Bethesda for many years. Even now when it's both officially and fan patched to work perfectly, I'm leery of installing it again.

It's definitely a game I want to run through whenever I finally build a gaming rig. Also, the updated mod coming out for it using the Skyrim Graphics sounds promising (Skywind). Ditto that SW:KOTOR fan update that I imagine will finally see the light of day within the next year or two.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JLSigman said:

It's one of my favourite games of that generation but I totally understand why some people got totally sick of all the bullshit.

The Resident Evil Remake keeps throwing curve balls at me. The dogs don't jump through the windows in that hallway straight away, fucking zombies come back to life in some 28 Days Later guise, but more than that two things have struck me:

1) You can save Richard from his injuries

2) If you get bit by the giant snake, you play as Rebecca to get the serum for Chris.

Were those two bits in the original Resi and I just never experienced them?

I'm enjoying and hating the game in equal parts. It's fun to re-experience the mansion but man I hate constantly doubling back on myself and fetching stuff from save rooms

I spent like 3 hours making a snap map on Doom, went to play it and got some kind of corrupt file message. Eff that. I really want to try again but don't want to risk putting in that much effort for nothing again.

Also, you guys were right about Grand Ages: Medieval. Game was boring as fuck. I never really got the hang of it and it was pretty boring so I never really bothered to look up online tutorials or anything. I ended up just giving it to a buddy of mine.

I bought Batman: Arkham Knight last night on Xbox Live, as it was only $16 for the Premimum Edition. I've only played the Batgirl DLC mission so far, since it's set before the events of the game. It's pretty fun, I've missed doing stealth missions with the Batman family of characters. The combo fighting system is really fluid too, much more than I remember the previous two games being. I got into the x45 range earlier tonight during one encounter that had 16 (!) Joker thugs. I just 100%'d that mission, I guess now I'm going to play the main story (unless any of the other missions are prequel types). Two of them specifically say it's set after the timeline in the game, so I'll avoid those until much later.

I threw on the Harley Quinn content real quick just now before I ate (and I'm going to bed now), it seemed pretty fun. Her combat combos and moves are different enough from the regular group of people that it makes it fun. Psychosis mode is a good replacement for Detective mode.

I only got one game for Christmas (The Telltale Batman Series) which is the fewest amount of games I have gotten in forever.

Of course - I basically didn't ask for any since between currently playing Skyrim and having Mass Effect looming in March, I really didn't need more

• Like 1

On 12/22/2016 at 7:23 AM, JLSigman said:

Funnily enough I played through Morrowind on Xbox and didn't have too many problems, aside from that 2-hour freeze bug on the expansions.  I think because I played the GOTY version that had been patched.

I treated myself to Watch Dogs 2 from the PSN flash sale.  I've only played an hour or so but I'm already enjoying way more than the first since it's actually bright and colorful and interesting instead of drab and grim.