DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

17 hours ago, Chaos said:

I picked up Hitman for basically $26 during the PSN sale with the 10% off coupon. I've only been playing through and trying to hit all of the challenges on the Prologue, but the hype for that game is definitely real. It's one of those games that's mildly fun to watch other people play via stream too.

Now I'm gutted I dithered over getting it while the deal was on

20 minutes ago, Red is Dead said:

I am many years late. 

But fuck campers in gta online who take out low level noobs for the hell of it.

Sticking with single player for the moment.

What console are you on?

AxB, Cristobal and Petrol run on PS3 / PS4 and jstout and the rest of the XBox Mafia run on XB1.

Jump into the GTA 5 thread and touch bases with those guys so that you can get their gamertags and also join the DVDVR clan if you haven't already.

39 minutes ago, J.T. said:

What console are you on?

AxB, Cristobal and Petrol run on PS3 / PS4 and jstout and the rest of the XBox Mafia run on XB1.

Jump into the GTA 5 thread and touch bases with those guys so that you can get their gamertags and also join the DVDVR clan if you haven't already.

pc.

Picked up Final Fantasy XV at midnight last night and fighting off sleep while at work. I didn't play any of XV, just fell asleep.

Still having 'fun' with Watch_Dogs. The people online with the game are absolute wastes as human beings. I'm just trying to do the 10 online tailings and 10 online hacks for two trophies. Already got Stealth Cookie and got 10 online races done.

I really really hate the QR Code investigations. I'll probably be done with the side activities before the end of Act I.

You already had to watch J.T. convince himself he likes the game, so I won't indulge you in seeing me try to convince myself. I'll be glad when I finally Platinum this.

13 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Think Trophy collectionists are bad? NES Collectionists are mental.

There was 10,000 copies of Stadium Events ever made (remember, the one that was the power pad game before Nintendo bought it and the Power Pad and turned it into World Class Track Meet?).. Now, there are so few copies left in the wild that for those trying to get a copy of every NES game ever produced will pay $30,000 or more, despite the SAME game (the Nintendo version) going for $3.

Somehow I doubt we'll be doing the same thirty years from now for say, Call of Duty.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18121761/the-true-story-nintendo-most-coveted-game

Retro games all around are getting ridiculous.  I've been getting back into Genesis games and the prices on some of them are insane.  Even repros/bootlegs can go for $50+.  I finally said fuck it and got an Everdrive.  Actually playing the games is more important to me than having a box on my shelf collecting dust.

2 hours ago, Red is Dead said:

pc.

You can still join the crew and get some swag like guns and a car.  My usual advice for newbies is to spawn into a solo session and do stuff like robbing stores, stealing cars for Simeon, etc to get some cash and XP.  You can also do races solo for cash/XP and it will raise your driving stat as well.  Once you save up about $25K, you can buy a garage where you can store a couple of cars and it will be a safe spot from other players.

24 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Picked up Final Fantasy XV at midnight last night and fighting off sleep while at work. I didn't play any of XV, just fell asleep.

Still having 'fun' with Watch_Dogs. The people online with the game are absolute wastes as human beings. I'm just trying to do the 10 online tailings and 10 online hacks for two trophies. Already got Stealth Cookie and got 10 online races done.

I really really hate the QR Code investigations. I'll probably be done with the side activities before the end of Act I.

You already had to watch J.T. convince himself he likes the game, so I won't indulge you in seeing me try to convince myself. I'll be glad when I finally Platinum this.

Trying to platinum any Ubisoft open world game would be such a pain.  There's so much useless filler.  Plus in Watch Dogs you have the drinking game, which is still borderline unplayable even after being patched.  I actually liked the game for the most part though, besides the awful driving controls and some of the hacking which was hard for me to do as I am partially color blind.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

My new Hard Drive and FFXV both should be delivered today. Sadly, I doubt I get any FFXV by the time I get the new HDD in place and run the FF Install. The day one patch is supposed to be 8 GBs, which with PS4's download speeds means 2 hours.

38 minutes ago, Neil Koch said:

Trying to platinum any Ubisoft open world game would be such a pain.  There's so much useless filler.  Plus in Watch Dogs you have the drinking game, which is still borderline unplayable even after being patched.  I actually liked the game for the most part though, besides the awful driving controls and some of the hacking which was hard for me to do as I am partially color blind.

I ended up boosting almost all of the last gen Assassin's Creed multiplayer trophies (AC Brotherhood, AC Revelations and ACIII) so yeah, I understand. I'm probably going to have to boost WD1's multiplayer trophies.

15 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

Think Trophy collectionists are bad? NES Collectionists are mental.

There was 10,000 copies of Stadium Events ever made (remember, the one that was the power pad game before Nintendo bought it and the Power Pad and turned it into World Class Track Meet?).. Now, there are so few copies left in the wild that for those trying to get a copy of every NES game ever produced will pay $30,000 or more, despite the SAME game (the Nintendo version) going for $3.

Somehow I doubt we'll be doing the same thirty years from now for say, Call of Duty.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18121761/the-true-story-nintendo-most-coveted-game

Well, That's the thing.  Rarity + Demand = High Price.  That's how it goes in any collecting hobby.  There are Earthbound English Carts going for $300, Chrono Trigger goes for $125 boxed and working.  All those games had relatively few copies produced, so take natural dimishing of those numbers through carts breaking, defects, batteries dying, lost, destroyed, or otherwise taken out of circulation, and the cost for the remaining copies goes up to collectors.  Out of those 10k Copies of the original Stadium Events, gotta figure less than 5k remain?  That's money for collectors.  As to why World Class Track Meet goes for less, because more were produced (figure at least one with every Power Pad, then seperate carts for early adopters, second hand buyers, etc...)

And no, Won't happen to Call of Duty, because that series exists on a different medium.  Not only do more copies of games from 5th Generation (N64 Excluded) on exist, but they were on a more durable medium than before, because CD's, DVD's, and BD's cost less to make than old cartrages did, because the disc's are just a storage medium, while carts had actual electronic components in them, thus cost more to produce.   

Sorry if this has been discussed to death but do any of you guys own a PS4 Pro? I'm not seeing a reason to upgrade.  I'm reading reviews about the games and it seems like in some cases there's no difference graphically or the game doesn't run as well.  Plus, there's no 4K Blu Ray playback.  

If I'm missing something feel free to school me. It seems like something you'd buy if you didn't already own the previous model.

The "fun" continues with Watch_Dogs as I've done all the online trophies for it. Yay, I'll be able to Platinum it unless the drinking games prove to be madness.

One of the privacy invasions legit made me cry. Watching a woman working two jobs who's about to have a baby with her husband who is in stage 2 cancer? DAMN.

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sorry if this has been discussed to death but do any of you guys own a PS4 Pro? I'm not seeing a reason to upgrade.  I'm reading reviews about the games and it seems like in some cases there's no difference graphically or the game doesn't run as well.  Plus, there's no 4K Blu Ray playback.  

If I'm missing something feel free to school me. It seems like something you'd buy if you didn't already own the previous model.

It seems like the kind of console right now that runs better on HDR settings than the 4K settings, and we're probably 6 months to a year away from seeing any real noticeable differences. I think there's also the issue that developers are having to make sure they keep the older technology in mind in their development.

3 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

The "fun" continues with Watch_Dogs as I've done all the online trophies for it. Yay, I'll be able to Platinum it unless the drinking games prove to be madness.

One of the privacy invasions legit made me cry. Watching a woman working two jobs who's about to have a baby with her husband who is in stage 2 cancer? DAMN.

You've already been warned so don't be shocked when you break your controller. I tried for well over an hour to get past one of the last drinking games but it seemed well beyond me. Fuck that mini game. Part of the reason why I'll wait 6 months for the dramatic Ubisoft price drop on the new game. 

Years late but sure, Mass Effect 1 is quite good. The MAKO is pretty blatantly not designed with being driven on a PC mouse/keyboard setup though. The inventory spam is also Not Good. I hear both of these things got dumped in the second game, so no major concerns. I'll probably play Mass Effect 2 in the next couple months and then I'll stop because ME3 isn't on Steam, and fuck Origin.

I've been playing a ton of Borderlands and it's a nice change of pace to come back to the Bioware formula where there is more to the universe than just Shoot Him In The Face. The dialogue parts are really what make the game. That combat is just a thing you do to get to that.

• Like 1

THUMPER [4] - This is, of course, the kind of game I would like. No one says anything, everything looks fucking crazy, there's like one button, everything you do makes the screen shake a bunch, and the soundtrack sounds like grinding abysmal torment. This is everything I like. It's even made by someone in a band I like. It's so my thing it feels like someone making fun of me. I don't know how else to really talk about it.

I gave up on NEON STRUCT [n/a] - I'm not scoring this because it's nothing wrong with the game, it's just my disposition. I had the same problem with Thief back in the day, where getting caught was so paralyzing a thought that it eventually chased me away from playing it. The game looks fucking cool and I'm deeply bummed I can't put my own hangups aside to enjoy it.

BEGLITCHED [2] - UGH. So for the first part of the game, I was so excited to come in here and like put people up on this cool new thing. Basically it's like a dungeon crawling match 3 game with an AMAZING look and premise (best summarized by the phrase "glitch witch"), but there's a difficulty spike about halfway through that feels like how impatient people describe Dark Souls. It always seems that the hardest part of making indie games is balancing what's hard for people Vs. what's hard for the developers, who have been playing the game daily whilst making it. Beglitched gets that balance wrong and it's unfortunate.

I'm replaying DOOM [4] - It was on sale on PC, so I got it because I'm giving my PS4 copy to a friend. Hey- DOOM is fantastic still.

NO MAN'S SKY FOUNDATION UPDATE [4] - So before I say anything else, I still don't recommend people buy this game yet, because it's still in a process of becoming and maybe if you don't have the patience for that you can safely stay away. I'll also say that I didn't buy into the hype that hard and just expected like Eerie Cave Adventures In Space. The problems I had originally are 1) the caves weren't eerie enough (still kinda true) and 2) The flow of the gameplay came down to "dig for the warp cell fuel, do a quick search for a bigger ship, warp again." There was no need to familiarize yourself with anything.

What they've added with the base construction is like an actual functional series of quests that have such stretching requirements that it's causing me to think about if systems I've visited had the resources I need or the climate conditions I should be looking out for, who was populating the system, and everything in between. I don't know how long these "quest lines" are or how long I'll last doing them, but for the moment I'm way back in and I'm enjoying myself much more clearly than I was before.

AND YOU CAN STACK THE FUCKING ATLAS STONES. Thank you.

Anyways, Last Guardian is next week. I'm gonna try to get some Hitman in this weekend. Tonight is game night at a friend's place, and I'll be done with Pandemic Legacy at the end of it. After that I'm pretty much out of game money because I'm going all out for Christmas presents because I refuse to end this year without doing something of substance that makes myself and others happy.

I started playing Skyrim again. RIP Backlog. I was up til 6 AM playing it. If I ever have to give an example to someone as to what my type of game is, Skyrim is the perfect example. There are other game types I enjoy of course, but open world action RPGs are my shit.

I also started Grim Dawn, but I am just doing co-op with my brother so its as time permits. Very good game so far, could be Path of Exile's lost brother but I enjoyed POE so that's fine with me.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2016 at 7:51 AM, Andrew POE! said:

I wouldn't feel too sorry for that guy.

Spoiler

It is an Easter egg tribute to Breaking Bad.

On December 1, 2016 at 7:43 AM, BL88 said:

THUMPER [4] - This is, of course, the kind of game I would like. No one says anything, everything looks fucking crazy, there's like one button, everything you do makes the screen shake a bunch, and the soundtrack sounds like grinding abysmal torment. This is everything I like. It's even made by someone in a band I like. It's so my thing it feels like someone making fun of me. I don't know how else to really talk about it.

I've only played a demo kiosk version, but it seems amazing. I don't know if I've ever played another rhythm game that I'd describe as feeling "violent," but man, when your slamming into curves it just looks, sounds and feels VICIOUS. Can't imagine what it's like in VR.