DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I have two on the way, one for me and one for my sister. Its crazy that Nintendo still does this but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't intentional. Since they have a new console coming out in a few months I assumed that this was just a fun little Christmas console and nothing more, I am shocked by the level of interest and maybe Nintendo is too. Sega Collection type games have never been big sellers and emulators will play all those games, I wasn't aware the market was so strong for a stand alone Nintendo emulator.

People spending $200 on Ebay for a little console that does nothing a PC hasn't been able to do for the last 15 years blows my mind.

The Sega collection consoles suck and have bad emulation. This console has pixel perfect graphics (if you set it that way; lots of people like the CRT settings to help remind them of how it looked on their old shitty '80s TVs) and the games look better than on WiiVC. Perfect emulation. The screen even discolors at the same places it did in old SMB3! 

PC emulation and ROMs are fine, but I'd rather just pay Nintendo for these games and get them in a cool looking little retro machine.

I hope they do this for SNES and OG Gameboy, too. I'll be glad to pay $60 for those. 

This might have been worth it just to play Super Mario Bros. 3 with a NES controller again. Nintendo still hasn't topped that game when it comes to Mario platformers. 

I also think it's more likely that Nintendo has no clue about its own brand power and how important its IPs are to people than that they're trying to constrain supply. When does Nintendo EVER show that they value old IPs and old games that include those IPs? Their VC on every console from the Wii to the WiiU to the 3DS sucks, frankly. It's full of holes in terms of releases, and it seems like they don't give a shit because they probably mistakenly think that no one else except for a few hardcores really cares either. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chaos said:

I'm considering updating the HD in My PS4. I kind of alternate between games installed on my 500GB, but it'd be nice to have most everything installed at once for a change.

What does everyone recommend? Do I be frugal and just go to a 1TB Drive, or do I go overkill and get a 2TB Drive?

Get the 2tb

5 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The Sega collection consoles suck and have bad emulation. This console has pixel perfect graphics (if you set it that way; lots of people like the CRT settings to help remind them of how it looked on their old shitty '80s TVs) and the games look better than on WiiVC. Perfect emulation. The screen even discolors at the same places it did in old SMB3! 

Yeah, I have the AtGames Intellivision and Colecovision and don't really have a problem with them, but their Genesis is GARBAGE.  That said, I think the OP may have been referring to the fact that the PS/Xbox Genesis shovel discs have never done super well.

2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Yeah, I have the AtGames Intellivision and Colecovision and don't really have a problem with them, but their Genesis is GARBAGE.  That said, I think the OP may have been referring to the fact that the PS/Xbox Genesis shovel discs have never done super well.

Yea those were the ones I meant, Sega Collection was pretty well reviewed and had about the same number of games. Don't get me wrong, its not a 1:1 comparison, but Nintendo didn't have any reason to believe I don't think based on past sales prior to the announcement that a little fake console with re-released games that have already been re-released before would be a hot Christmas ticket. They could have done some market research so its still their fault, I just don't think with another system coming out in four months that it was in any way intentional.

Course they are only making 2 million Switches for launch so it will in fact happen again in a few months, I just hope I can find one with minimal extra work by next Christmas.

Ordered an Xbox One, WWE 2K17 (haven't played one of those since 2K14) and Fallout 4. Pretty excited about it, just don't know what to do with my 360. In any event, I got the Name Your Game bundle, and I'm torn between the Tomb Raider sequel and the Rare Replay (KILLER INSTINCT~!).

What other games should I buy? No doubt those three games will keep me occupied for awhile, especially Fallout, but I'm sure I'm going to load up on games because I've never had a next-gen console when it's actually current and relevant.

23 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea those were the ones I meant, Sega Collection was pretty well reviewed and had about the same number of games. Don't get me wrong, its not a 1:1 comparison, but Nintendo didn't have any reason to believe I don't think based on past sales prior to the announcement that a little fake console with re-released games that have already been re-released before would be a hot Christmas ticket. They could have done some market research so its still their fault, I just don't think with another system coming out in four months that it was in any way intentional.

Course they are only making 2 million Switches for launch so it will in fact happen again in a few months, I just hope I can find one with minimal extra work by next Christmas.

I love Sega and my Genesis, but they don't have the same cultural cache as Nintendo in America, and the Sonic Genesis Collection was a disc and not a nostalgically powerful physical re-creation of a Genesis. 

But I think you and I ultimately agree: Nintendo doesn't know its own cultural worth, which is why they misjudged this. I just think they have no clue what the fuck North America thinks of them. The Gamecube bombs, so they make only a few Wiis, which are a hit, so they make a lot of WiiUs, which bomb, so they make only a few Amiibo and NES Classic Minis, which are a hit. 

Nintendo should just get like ten of us at DVDVR to sit in a room with Kimishima and tell him what we like and don't like about Nintendo, and maybe he'd understand. I think this website is the best possible cross-section of North Americans who grew up at least in part on Nintendo consoles as kids. 

We could sit with Kimishima, but there's no guarantee he would listen.  Outside of anything Pokemon, party games, and handhelds, Nintendo has been woefully behind the curve and they don't care.  They have IP that is can make money on newer hardware that they're not doing a thing with.  They've done cute gimmics with controllers and focused on making games work them in to the detrement of the games (I'm looking at you, Metroid Other M and Star Fox Zero).  

23 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Poor Watch Dogs 2.   I don't have an XBone yet so no one will play it until next Spring when i get one for ME Andromeda and even then I will play ME Andromeda first.

I will slash your tires if you play Watch Dogs 2 over Andromeda

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

The early reviews for it seem to be encouraging, comparing the jump from Assassin's Creed 1 to Assassin's Creed 2, which many people predicted shortly after playing Watch Dogs.

After watching the preview videos that was certainly the vibe I got. I just hope they don't rely on lame side quests that have no imagination as time fillers. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Oyaji said:

After watching the preview videos that was certainly the vibe I got. I just hope they don't rely on lame side quests that have no imagination as time fillers. 

It's an UbiSoft open world game, I can guarantee you that half of the "content" is fetch quests, finding collectibles, and having to climb some sort of towers.

I liked the first game, but I think I'm cool with following my usual method for waiting for 6 months - a year for the price to drop, bugs to be fixed, etc.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I haven't, but the only time I hear anyone talk about it is to say how mind numbingly boring it is

That's disappointing. Seemed interesting as I'm looking for a change of pace game. Been playing a lot of Fallout 4, Doom and Mad Max over the last year.

15 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I have it and one of these years I will play it and let you know.

So, about 2027 when you remember you own it and then fall into a coma out of boredom.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

So, about 2027 when you remember you own it and then fall into a coma out of boredom.

It'll be soon, ok? I'll play over the holiday break this year and then I'll fall into a coma out of boredom.

EDIT: Oh great, there's online multiplayer trophies. Seriously.

On 11/18/2016 at 5:31 PM, Death From Above said:

Trophy hunters deserve pain. You bring this on yourself.

It's true. But I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Like I Platinum'ed Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2 recently. Still can't fly a plane in that game without getting shot down even on the easiest difficulty.

14 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I'm playing Watch Dogs 2.  It's a lot of fun.  

It really is.  I never played the first one but 2 seems to be everything people said the first one was so much that I never played it.  Cool characters, fun missions, pretty dope ass open world, looks good, probably the most alive a non Rockstar open world game has felt since Sleeping Dogs.