DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I have to admit that if I hadn't paid like $3 for it (or if I was one of the folks who got it for free) - I would have been irritated with how short Gone Home was.

I enjoyed it but man is that fucker short

On 6/27/2016 at 4:47 AM, Andrew POE! said:

I don't really compare the new Tomb Raider to Uncharted at all. To me, the new Tomb Raider is more like Batman: Arkham Asylum but with guns. It has insane amount of collectibles in each area. Even if you don't care about trophies/achievements, it's still a massive amount.

I don't think TR compares very much at all to the Arkham games beyond collectibles - in Arkham, most collectibles are puzzles in some form, the platforming is inconsequential because much of the game can be ziplined/Batmobile'd across, and the combat is totally different than in TR.

Uncharted and TR are both games with lots of combat set pieces surrounded by climbing and platforming segments. The big difference is that Uncharted limits its actual treasure hunting and TR encourages it with much more treasure to look for (and I prefer the latter personally). When it comes to what TR and Uncharted both do, TR has much better combat and significantly better platforming. The hidden tombs in TR 2013 are better platformer puzzles than anything that I played through in the Uncharted games. 

Hello, I am SirFozzie, and I'm a WoW token addict.

a while back, I started grinding for gold to try to get Tokens  (worth 30 days of game time, people can buy tokens for gold, or sell tokens for in game currency.. because I can't work and not yet on disability, every dollar is precious). I got 1-2 months ahead, and kept doing it, after all, Legion is going to come out and massively inflate the gold market, screwing up the costs for tokens.. I went a little.. grind happy, let's say. Between trying old raids to make gold, playing the Auction House and the like, I kept making enough to buy another token. And another. And another. And.. well you get the point.

I don't have to worry about losing my subscription any time soon.. I have spent nearly 500,000 Gold (all acquired legally, no gold sellers or any of that), and currently my subscription expires May 22nd.. 2017.

You think I could get another token or two in the two months before Legion?  

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Eivion said:

So anyone here play the Tales series? I was curious on how Xillia & Graces were.

I own Symphonia on Gamecube, and I probably put about 10 hours into it over 10 years ago. I thought it was a great game. I really should probably fire that back up.

Coders recently developed a hack to up the difficulty for Skies of Arcadia Legends.

SEGA renewed the Skies of Arcadia trademark and the Shenmue trademark around 2012-ish, but has yet to announce or make another game for the Eternal Arcadia franchise..

E3 has come and gone with no new info on Shenmue even though the estimated total of the crowdfunding effort is over six million dollars.

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

I own Symphonia on Gamecube, and I probably put about 10 hours into it over 10 years ago. I thought it was a great game. I really should probably fire that back up.

I bought Symphonia and its sequel for the PS3 a year or ago and did pretty much the same. I plan to get back to it eventually. If I get Xillia and/or Graces I can't deny the outcome will likely be similar, but they are decently cheap right now with the current PSN sale which is why I'm asking about them.

Okay, so I am counting on you PS3 and PS4 peeps to let me know if the new Star Ocean game is any good.  Right now, signs point to "sorta."  I tapped out and never finished The Last Hope.  The horrible voice acting finally got to me and I was too far gone to get a copy of Last Hope International.

25 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Okay, so I am counting on you PS3 and PS4 peeps to let me know if the new Star Ocean game is any good.  Right now, signs point to "sorta."  I tapped out and never finished The Last Hope.  The horrible voice acting finally got to me and I was too far gone to get a copy of Last Hope International.

Kotaku had this I saw about it yesterday: 

http://kotaku.com/star-ocean-vs-camera-is-so-bad-i-cant-play-it-without-1782731246

• Like 1

Big thanks going out to Halo 5 for long cutscenes involving some thing that probably happened about three Halo games ago. Not everyone has played every game of every precious franchise.

Games confuse me. I yearn for the days of Ozzie and Harriet on my transistor radio.

Actually, Halo 5 does pretty much suck. YMMV. Shoot shit, cutscene, shoot shit, cutscene. Big whoop.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chaos said:

So the answer is a resounding NO.  Sad because I counted on Star Ocean to be my replacement for Phantasy Star when the makers of Phantasy Star went retarded and turned a perfectly good sci-fantasy RPG franchise into a shitty MMO.

22 hours ago, J.T. said:

I never pay attention to 'video game journalists' anymore, so I would say go for it.

It's grindy and there's levels to grind and it's full of Japanese weebo waifu ness. So it's great.

Sony is shutting down the Japanese servers for the LittleBigPlanet series on July 31st. The worldwide servers are still up, but it won't be long before it is shut down worldwide. LBP Karting's online will be shutting down on August 31st and LBP Portable's online is shutting down on July 31st.

Trophy hunters, start trophy huntin'.

On 6/30/2016 at 2:57 PM, Chaos said:

That's the most nitpicky bullshit I've ever seen.

"Oh, I don't like this game...the camera gives me motion sickness!"

Life's tough, wear a helmet. Or I don't know...fiddle with the settings until you find something less barf inducing.

Nitpicky?  The camera is a  MAJOR part of any game.  A camera constantly doing micro-adjustments like this one could be incredibly annoying. 

• Like 1

Yea that is legit. I have motion sickness to the point I can't really read in cars or ride coasters (well I still do and just take the negative effects), and just in his video my brain already started looking at me funny. And that isn't playing it on a 55 inch TV. It only takes the slightest rapid movements. I don't think he is saying the game should be erased from the Earth, just explaining why he couldn't play it which is completely justified.

24 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea that is legit. I have motion sickness to the point I can't really read in cars or ride coasters (well I still do and just take the negative effects), and just in his video my brain already started looking at me funny. And that isn't playing it on a 55 inch TV. It only takes the slightest rapid movements. I don't think he is saying the game should be erased from the Earth, just explaining why he couldn't play it which is completely justified.

I know -- but you would think he would at least try to find something to adjust it instead of saying he couldn't play it. Normally, I like Jason Schreier (he's about the only actual journalist with "video game journalists") but if there's nothing there to change, S-E needs to patch Star Ocean V.

Still, I'll get it because screw reviewers.

Question: I'd like to kill some time catching up on FPS (Xbox 360/PS3 gen).  But I get bored/annoyed with the linearity of campaign and I don't want to get my ass kicked over and over by kids who have been playing these games for years now...if anyone is even still online with them.

So do any of the FPS from that gen have something like Single-player deathmatch mode?  Time Splitters used to do that really well and it was a great way to unwind and endlessly murder chimps with crossbows.  But most don't seem to bother implementing that nowadays.

I'm not finding much, but maybe I'm missing something.

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

Question: I'd like to kill some time catching up on FPS (Xbox 360/PS3 gen).  But I get bored/annoyed with the linearity of campaign and I don't want to get my ass kicked over and over by kids who have been playing these games for years now...if anyone is even still online with them.

So do any of the FPS from that gen have something like Single-player deathmatch mode?  Time Splitters used to do that really well and it was a great way to unwind and endlessly murder chimps with crossbows.  But most don't seem to bother implementing that nowadays.

Closest I can think of is the Gears of War series, it is third person shooter of course but it does have Horde Mode so you can kill endless things. So it meets 73% of your criteria.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, piranesi said:

The Call of Duty games post...Black Ops (1), I think, have local multiplayer with bots. You can play any of the modes and set up a ton of options on how good the bots are. It's really the only way I play CoD multiplayer these days. 

• Like 1

Just get XIII for OG Xbox, which is both 360-compatible and has actual bots in multiplayer that...you can kill with a crossbow. 

• Like 1