DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Holy Crap, Limbo is infuriating.

Tried playing the free download last night and within half an hour was destroyed by a bear trap way too many times and couldn't figure out how to cross a puddle of water before rage quitting and moving on to Wolf Among Us.

So with Last Guardian - in theory - finally coming out and Prey 2 becoming just Prey - what moves to the top of the development hell charts?

Is it Half-Life 3? 

I mean my heart wants to say Beyond Good & Evil 2 but I know I am just fooling myself on that one

33 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So with Last Guardian - in theory - finally coming out and Prey 2 becoming just Prey - what moves to the top of the development hell charts?

Is it Half-Life 3? 

I mean my heart wants to say Beyond Good & Evil 2 but I know I am just fooling myself on that one

Half Life 3/Left 4 Dead 3/Portal 3 in that order. Yeah, Beyond Good & Evil 2 and Prince of Persia 2 (the Nolan North voiced Prince).

I would say Starcraft Ghost but the dream is dead on that.

49 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Is it Half-Life 3? 

I tend to agree with the Giant Bomb guys that I doubt there's any incentive from the Valve team to develop either Half-Life 3 or L4D3. I think there efforts are obviously going to continue to be Steam, Vive, DOTA, and CS:GO

4 hours ago, CSC said:

Holy Crap, Limbo is infuriating.

Tried playing the free download last night and within half an hour was destroyed by a bear trap way too many times and couldn't figure out how to cross a puddle of water before rage quitting and moving on to Wolf Among Us.

I've never been able to take Naughty Dog seriously after seeing their opinion of Limbo. It's a straight up bad game.

6 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

With no fanfare, Ubisoft released Trials of the Blood Dragon, a RedLynx Trials motocross game set in the Far Cry Blood Dragon continuity.  I will almost certainly get it when it gets a sale week.

I had a Gamestop gift card to use so I used that to get PS Store funds.  This game is well worth every bit of $15, even if I paid for it it'd be worthwhile.  So incredibly 80s, so much of a trippy experience at times, and all balls-out fun.  So, so good, everybody get this!

Sony's doing that "Spend $100, get $15 credit" thing this week. So you can get Trials of the Blood Dragon and maybe/probably beat it. Or do what I'm planning on doing and getting The Witcher 3 expansion pass, Dark Souls 3 season pass, Uncharted 4 expansion pass and Just Cause 3 expansion pass.

So after trying different USB ports and praying to the video game Gods, I finally got my Oculus Rift up and running..... only to find out that the HDMI cord supplied has one bad pin so the picture is fuzzy and I have red vertical lines. I know what you are thinking, just replace the cord! Nope, they have their own special cord since it splits to both HDMI and USB at the end. So I put in a support ticket and I wait.

I really enjoyed the bit I could play (I was stubborn and played it even though it was fuzzy). The head movements work perfectly, I was doing a demo of sorts and there was a bunny on the screen, but after looking away for a moment he was gone. So I looked over my shoulder (literally) and the guy was crouching behind me as he was afraid of the aliens. Its a neat new way to play, obviously in most games you'd have to physically turn around to look behind you, you can't just move your neck, tons of potential for racing type games. So I think the 360 view does have a lot of potential, looking forward to playing a few games once I get a new cord sent to me.

I didn't follow E3 closely but I think we'll know within.. well let's say by next summer if VR is a hit or if it will be like 3D TVs and the Kinect/Move. If they can get the price under 400 (which I know the PS VR is) and actually have legit games, I think it could take off... not to the extent of current consoles in terms of sales but enough to justify their existence. It will be interesting to see how it progresses, currently most fans are skeptical which is understandable but I think if people get to play a legit AAA title that uses it well, it could change minds.

I was annoyed the Rift requires you to buy a Microsoft controller since it is bundled with it, I already have one I use on my PC so it was just an extra cost I didn't need, but I assume they got some kind of kickback from Microsoft for that so you gotta do what ya gotta do.

So, if I can talk about Uncharted, I'm at the beginning of the fourth chapter of the very first game. I should note that I have never really enjoyed a Naughty Dog game. They're a dev that I don't understand the popularity of, but I've been trying to play the modern classics, and I've forced myself through the Galaxy games, so with all three Uncharted games being twenty bucks at Target, I figured why not? 

My understanding is that this series grows its beard with the second game, so I plan to at least just power through the first game so that I can play the second one.

So far, my biggest issue is that this game does a lot of different things, but none of them are any better than "playable," really. I've played much better platformers, much better games focused on vertical movement and scaling structures, much better cover shooters, much better melee combat games, much better games that are mostly linear with a bit of exploration...

This game is totally unmemorable in every way so far. Worse, when there are light puzzles, like say an environmental puzzle, if I take more than twenty seconds to look at things, Sully or whoever my companion is at the time chimes in with the fucking answer! Like, dude, if I'm playing, say, Zelda and looking at a simple puzzle, Tingle doesn't show up to shit on my experimentation to figure the puzzle out. Clank doesn't always chime in when I'm controlling Ratchet and trying to complete a puzzle. This game really wants to play itself for you, I feel. 

I'm going to play through these so I can say that I have and talk about them with experience, but so far, this game is confirming what I've always suspected, which is that Naughty Dog is actually a pretty shitty developer. Much like Nintendo's devs, they don't make BAD games that are broken or anything; they look good and run nicely, so it's hard to make the argument that they aren't good in the face of so many games that barely function.

On the other hand, The Collective made Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, which was janky as fuck, but it's also a much, much better "scale structures, engage in gunplay, and look for relics" game than Uncharted, at least at this point; the latter is polished, but doesn't have much going for it in the way of gameplay. Give me fun jank over polished mediocrity every time, man. 

Are you playing the remastered version - because I sure don't remember Sully telling me the answer to things. I just remember his impatient quips and me wanting to shoot him

Has Half Life 3 overtaken Duke Nukem Forever for development time? I mean, I know Nukem had the additional caveat of occasional announcements/sneak peaks whereas we've not heard a peep about Half Life 3 but still...

And you know, I wouldn't even give a shit about another Half Life if they hadn't ended the last episode on a massive cliffhanger

9 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

So, if I can talk about Uncharted, I'm at the beginning of the fourth chapter of the very first game. I should note that I have never really enjoyed a Naughty Dog game. They're a dev that I don't understand the popularity of, but I've been trying to play the modern classics, and I've forced myself through the Galaxy games, so with all three Uncharted games being twenty bucks at Target, I figured why not? 

My understanding is that this series grows its beard with the second game, so I plan to at least just power through the first game so that I can play the second one.

So far, my biggest issue is that this game does a lot of different things, but none of them are any better than "playable," really. I've played much better platformers, much better games focused on vertical movement and scaling structures, much better cover shooters, much better melee combat games, much better games that are mostly linear with a bit of exploration...

This game is totally unmemorable in every way so far. Worse, when there are light puzzles, like say an environmental puzzle, if I take more than twenty seconds to look at things, Sully or whoever my companion is at the time chimes in with the fucking answer! Like, dude, if I'm playing, say, Zelda and looking at a simple puzzle, Tingle doesn't show up to shit on my experimentation to figure the puzzle out. Clank doesn't always chime in when I'm controlling Ratchet and trying to complete a puzzle. This game really wants to play itself for you, I feel. 

I'm going to play through these so I can say that I have and talk about them with experience, but so far, this game is confirming what I've always suspected, which is that Naughty Dog is actually a pretty shitty developer. Much like Nintendo's devs, they don't make BAD games that are broken or anything; they look good and run nicely, so it's hard to make the argument that they aren't good in the face of so many games that barely function.

On the other hand, The Collective made Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, which was janky as fuck, but it's also a much, much better "scale structures, engage in gunplay, and look for relics" game than Uncharted, at least at this point; the latter is polished, but doesn't have much going for it in the way of gameplay. Give me fun jank over polished mediocrity every time, man. 

I haven't played the first one, but I get some of the gripes with gameplay.  The platforming, even in the fourth one, can be a bit odd at times.  But for me the good far outweighs the bad.  Playing the second and fourth one, I was completely immersed in the story which is the main driving point.  The gameplay has been largely good for me too.  With the fourth one, my friend was playing it before I got it, and both our wives were watching.  The story had all of us immediately hooked and they were helping us with whatever puzzles.  So when I got the game I just had to play this with my wife there.  We're both loving the way the story develops and with the graphics there's a ton of realism to not only their emotions but what they would say in that situation.  I get that you're on the first one, but until you get to at least to the second one and beyond it's not fair to say that they're a shitty developer.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Are you playing the remastered version - because I sure don't remember Sully telling me the answer to things. I just remember his impatient quips and me wanting to shoot him

I am. Right at the start, there's that really simple puzzle after Sully lights a huge pyre/lantern where there are a bunch of logs blocking the path where you have to burn them away. I started out by looking at the pyre a bit to see if I could shoot/trigger it, but after about ten seconds, Sully says "We need to burn those logs down" and then at fifteen seconds, he says "shoot one of those lanterns," meaning the smaller ones. I would have eventually gotten there myself, bud. At least wait until I've been standing in the room for two minutes before giving me another hint.

NickMD, I appreciate your response. I'm hoping that the puzzles get good in particular because the idea of environmental puzzles is really nice and I'm in the mood for that sort of thing. My criticism of ND is based on Crash, Jak, and TLoU as well as what I've played in Uncharted so far, but I'm more than willing to change my mind on them. I'm open to enjoying ND in particular because everyone likes their games so much...

I won't resurrect an again-dead thread for this, but I had a bit of an epiphany last night while playing Rocket League:

I was furiously playing, thinking "I've got to practice more, I can't let my teammates down, I've got to get better." Then it hit me that my teammates are complete strangers to me and it's odd to care about letting them down.

I also thought "you're a 47-year-old man, don't you have anything better to do? And if not, shouldn't you find something better to do?"

The only thing I'm really good at is my job. I'm horrible at video games. Do I really want the only thing I'm good at to be my job? And if I do want to be better at something, should it be video games?

Hashbrown #OldManAngst

• Like 5

I'm cool with Sully giving hints, but you've got to pace them and maybe make them less direct. Give me a chance to explore and test out what works and what doesn't before telling me to just shoot that lantern. 

3 hours ago, jstout said:

I won't resurrect an again-dead thread for this, but I had a bit of an epiphany last night while playing Rocket League:

I was furiously playing, thinking "I've got to practice more, I can't let my teammates down, I've got to get better." Then it hit me that my teammates are complete strangers to me and it's odd to care about letting them down.

I also thought "you're a 47-year-old man, don't you have anything better to do? And if not, shouldn't you find something better to do?"

The only thing I'm really good at is my job. I'm horrible at video games. Do I really want the only thing I'm good at to be my job? And if I do want to be better at something, should it be video games?

Hashbrown #OldManAngst

I'm a little younger than you but this is why I don't really play online unless it's with friends.  I'm 40 and have full time job, a wife and kid, and shit around the house to do.  I gave up worrying about what some 12 year old or adult stoner/slacker thinks because I don't have hours a day to "get gud".  I got pretty burnt out on gaming until I got a Genesis last Christmas.  I enjoy stuff on the PS4 (playing Bloodborne currently) but this generation has been pretty underwhelming to me and I'm having a lot more actual fun playing older games.

I don't have a wife and kid, nor do I have shit around the house to do (more or less - I rent. I could stand to do the dishes, but it's not so bad that it can't be put off).

I'd just rather have a pursuit that meant something to me other than playing a game with strangers at my age. I'd like to have something I'm good at that won't get me laughed at by the majority of America. "So, you're good at video games and you're 47? [sarcasm] Congratulations. [/sarcasm]"

Hell, I feel that way about posting here and on Facebook. I can't help but think "don't you have something better to do? Anything?"

Personally, I long stopped giving a crap when caring so much about what people thought about me made me suicidal as a teenager, and the revelation of "Wait, why do I give a fuck what people who will never make an effort to try to know me feel about me?" 

That said, I just do it because it's a challenge, and my body isn't in the shape to play sports anymore past some Beer League Softball. If my knees could still push for running around like I could as a teen, I'd be doing that. Or have actually became a wrestler, one or the other. 

That said, that's on you man. Find something that becomes a passion and run with it.

I like to think of it this way:

Let's say I really like basketball. Love to watch it on TV. I decide I wanna play, dammit, despite being 47 and morbidly freakin' obese. So I go to the Foot Locker, get some Jordans, get all the gear, get me one of those elbow sleeves the pros wear, and hit the court. Let's say it's the town's elite streetball court. And I get stuffed. Repeatedly. Posterized to death, trampled on, made a fool of.

So the proper reaction is "screw this, I can't hang with these guys," right? Well, let's say my reaction is to go back every day for my whooping, my embarrassment, my posterizing, and I never get any better because hell, I'm 47 and morbidly freakin' obese.

I really want a solo hobby, something where I don't have to worry about getting posterized when stepping on the court. I just wanna stand there and try to shoot 3s by myself, not try to hang with the toughest ballers in the neighborhood. That way, if I suck, I don't have the 13-year-old kids of the Internet call me a "stupid idiot." I keep trying, by myself, and if I improve, great, and if not, great.