DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

21 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I finally gave up on Oculus and, after way too many emails back and forth, cancelled my preorder.  I'm tired of their little shipping games and I'd rather have the money right now than the theoretical promise of a VR set.  I'll get PS VR eventually, as I play most of my games on the PS4 anyway.

I thought you werey ahead of me and assfax, how did his ship already if yours hasn't? I guess that is a rhetorical question since who knows, but I figured you had yours by now.

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I thought you werey ahead of me and assfax, how did his ship already if yours hasn't? I guess that is a rhetorical question since who knows, but I figured you had yours by now.

I was supposed to - they gave me a ship week of April 21st-28th, which came and went with no updates whatsoever.  I gave them till the end of May and told them to not bother.

Rocket League is oddly addicting. I got into a 2 vs. 2 series with three other people - same teams, same people every time, and me and the guy who did all the heavy lifting won 10 straight. But the guy who was on my team had to appreciate my effort, 'cause he kept joining back. He'd wait until I definitely signed on for a rematch before signing on. I think he/she saw potential in me as not just another "drive around and hit shit" player.

I was a very good "second wheel"-type utility player, kind of a right-hand man for our young Pele here. For something that you'd think is just running around in a car hitting a big ball, there's a tremendous amount of strategy involved.

After I got done with my series, I jumped on the Net and spent about 40 minutes reading tips on how to get better. Just such a fun game.

Oh, odd thing: I've been playing the game for a few days, but I sign on last night and it gives me a trophy for winning my first match, my first goal, etc., when I'd done all that crap (didn't get the trophies for it, though). So I must've gotten 100 trophies last night.

14 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

I was supposed to - they gave me a ship week of April 21st-28th, which came and went with no updates whatsoever.  I gave them till the end of May and told them to not bother.

I am keeping an eye on Ebay and if used ones ever reach under $600 I will just get one there, as I assumed some people are just using them once and selling them either due to motion issues, not liking it, PC isn't good enough, etc. Since March the prices have dropped from about $1,200 to under $800, we'll see.

I wish I knew when CV2 was coming out, its not that I am dying to be a guinea pig but if CV2 will be out in three years I don't want to wait that long. But if it comes out next summer I'll probably be a bit annoyed.

Before I started Episode Two of Life Is Strange, I went back and replayed the first episode just to be a dick to the Carey Mulligan lookalike, Nathan, and the dipshit doomsday prepper fuckhead of which there actually are more than enough of living in this region of the country. 

It was worth it.

I'm finally getting around to something I should have done a long time ago and I'm playing Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II on PC, with the fabled Restored Content Mod. I didn't even realize this game has Steam Workshop integration so installing the mod is literally as simple as clicking a green button. So there's that. Undo a notorious publisher rush job in a button click. This is the time we live in.

It's been so long since I played this that I've forgotten big chunks of it so it's hard to say exactly what's changed but I will say this. Okay, it's the second best game in the series. But it is still really comfortably better than a bare minimum 95% of video games and maybe even a bit more (I'd put the first one over about 99.9%). I forgot just how dialogue heavy this game is, coming off just having recently played Tales From the Borderlands that's certainly not an issue for change of pace though. This game is weirdly dark for a Star Wars game, mostly due to Kreia.

Anyway, still a dreadfully misjudged game I'll take over so much.

• Like 1

I never really thought I would be a fan of console Pinaball, but downloaded Pinball Arcade for the One and ended up playing the free Arabian Nights table for HOURS last night.  

I could see this turning into a really expensive habit, with the tables I want to play being spread out pretty evenly over the 5 seasons of packs with each one being $30+,

My trouble with it was that the packs had one or two tables I wanted apiece. I didn't wanna spend $150 to play the five or six tables I wanted to play. I didn't wanna have to buy them all. Thankfully, we have a pinball collector in our town who opened an arcade, so I can go get a stiff dose of the real thing on occasion.

On 6/5/2016 at 3:40 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

Before I started Episode Two of Life Is Strange, I went back and replayed the first episode just to be a dick to the Carey Mulligan lookalike, Nathan, and the dipshit doomsday prepper fuckhead of which there actually are more than enough of living in this region of the country. 

It was worth it.

tumblr_mphb4b98CB1spdbf2o1_500.gif

2 hours ago, jstout said:

Admittedly, it's been a bit since I've messed with it. Will look into it, thanks.

That's the route we've gone with the tables that we want.  I think we've spent $20 total and have the base table plus all the ones we want (and the ones that came with them in the packs of two - I want to say 9 in total).

I can't ever imagine anyone wanting/needing all 70+ tables in all the season packs.  

On 6/8/2016 at 9:00 PM, CSC said:

That's the route we've gone with the tables that we want.  I think we've spent $20 total and have the base table plus all the ones we want (and the ones that came with them in the packs of two - I want to say 9 in total).

I can't ever imagine anyone wanting/needing all 70+ tables in all the season packs.  

I hope one of them is Attack From Mars! 

It is.  

That's actually one that we have at the local arcade that I play all the time and it's definitely satisfying seeing my real life scores improving a ton from playing to the virtual version.

God dammit - I am going to end up sinking another 100 hours without touching the main story of Skyrim into the remastered version aren't I?

• Like 4

Wandered into GameStop today, just wasting time. Saw that MGSV had dropped to $16. Couldn't pass that up. That said, the last thing I needed was another game that I could drop 50 hours into. Don't have time to play the games I already have!

My Oculus Rift will arrive on Tuesday, so if it bothers my motion sickness then I guess it will be on Ebay on Wednesday. Still wish I could find a site with reviews, besides watching video reviews on youtube that may or may not be paid for. Has anyone heard of any 'must play' launch games for it?

Make sure you have a second hdmi or a displayport cable ready.  For whatever reason I thought my 980 had two hdmis but it didn't.  It's also real finiky about what kind of USB 3.0 ports it'll actually accept as being "3.0".  I bought an inateck pci card a few months ago because it was recommended but then when I plugged all the shit in the sensor didn't like it.  The card worked but it wasn't the new fresco logic shit that they wanted.  I got another one that's a powered internal hub and even though it's exactly what they recommend it's still saying I should "update drivers".   It'll still work with USB 2.0 in a pinch.

The headset is way more malleable than you think.  unstrap the velcro and really get that fucker settled on your head like a baseball cap.  You want the thing in the back nestled above the nape of yer neck.  The headphones are insanely accommodating.  The visor tilts up and down. Get the thing set up real good and you don't have to fuck around after that.

You get a code emailed for the Eve game.  I installed it but still haven't actually played it.  Lucky's Tale is just automatically in your library in the oculus store. It feels like something from the PS2 era of 3D platformers.  I really enjoy it but wish there were more worthwhile secrets and little extra touches.  Edge of nowhere is a combination Eternal Darkness and Uncharted climbing and shit falling apart.  Probably going to finally beat it tomorrow.  Still haven't bought chronos.  I want to play that lunar lander game that they showed on the giant bomb launch stream.  I bought adrift on steam when it was on sale last weekend. Haven't played it yet. Some fuckers get super sick off of it.  I still haven't felt any weirdness in anything yet.  Haven't gave a big shit to get my wheel all set up to really check out Project Cars on this thing.

I'd heard about the screendoor effect and it only seems to be noticeable if you're looking at a solid bright unmoving color.  It's not extreme like looking at an old tube TV.  The glowing halo shit is definitely the most apparent visual niggle.  White things on black backgrounds will look like you're driving at night and pass a sign with your brights on. I'm pretty sure there's a flawed pixel in my left eyepiece.  It's not a black pixel but it's faint red if I really focus on like a white screen.  I'm just going to live with it because I know I'll get the next version for goddamned sure.  It's got me planning a new PC for next year when they have that nvidia 1080 out in a TI version.  I will always have one of these VR devices in my house from here on out.

there's a whole bunch of demo "experiences" but it's pretty much one and done shit.  As cool as that showdown demo is, it's still just a minute long visual demo.  I haven't watched that Henry thing yet but I don't know how long it is.  I watched that first episode of the foo show.  Pretty cool but I didn't play or give a shit about firewatch.  A lot of the oculus home shit just seems like stuff that's been sitting there for 5 months.  Dreamdeck was fucking dumb.  Here's a T-rex, it kind of growls and mugs at you then it just trundles away.  Dumb.

virtual desktop is great for viewing video and playing games.  I watched big trouble in little china on Frank's 2000 inch TV.  I replayed the first episode of ultimate doom on a gigantic curved monitor.  I beat contra and the dudes are the size of kangaroos.  I don't care for the fake movie theater environments, just blackness is fine.  Set it to floating so you can lay down and have a giant tv on the ceiling.

dolphin VR is insane even with how hacky it all seems.  I don't understand how but the thing just works.  I couldn't give a shit about playing Twilight Princess again but when I got into my old save it was looking pretty fucking incredible.  I didn't fuck around with Mario Sunshine or the Galaxies yet.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the details. Yea in theory my rig should be fine but I have accepted that I may have to run out to an electronic store to make it happier with it. I'll be upgrading before CV2 comes out probably late next year to mid 2018. Wouldn't mind an update on the Touch though.

Oh yeah - the tutorial almost made me chuck the game out the window

I would say I am 50/50 on selling this back to Gamestop and taking the like $20 hit