DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

Diablo 3 finally got into the price range I wanted to pay for it, so I downloaded the Ultimate Evil version yesterday.  I forgot how addictive I found the original games.  If I was home alone and bored, I had no problem with firing up D2 to farm for loot in caves in the desert for a few hours.  D3 seems like a flashier, more simplistic version of its predecessors.  To be fair, I'm playing as a witch doctor in Act 2 of normal mode, so follower+plague dogs+grasp of the dead+ranged attacks easily deals with everything while the life leech/regen that I get from my equipment deal with any scratches I suffer.  It seems pretty nonlethal so far, but I can't wait to see what my hubris will cost me once I get further along...

But I've found four legendary pieces of equipment so far.  That scratches that itch.  :)

• Like 2

Are the Bioshock games any good? Because the trilogy is in the PSN store January for £10, and they're usually more than that each in the second hand shop.

BTW, if any of you play Rocket League, I'm planning on doing a Twitch Stream thursday night starting around 8 PM Eastern. Hoping to get folks together for some Rocket league, especially if we can get Skype or something going for maximum trash talk ;)

Are the Bioshock games any good? Because the trilogy is in the PSN store January for £10, and they're usually more than that each in the second hand shop.

I thought they were a little overhyped - the story isn't as great as it or some critics think and the weapons are limited - but they are fun to play through once.  I do like the retro/future art style also.  At that price I would pick it up if you have the HD space.  You can get through them fairly quickly.

Anyway, I'm still playing a little Battlefront, mostly in the cargo mode.  It's fun in short bursts for me.  After 2 or 3 matches I am done.

Still playing the new Need for Speed.  There is really no reason for this to be an open world game, especially since the city feels so dead with barely any traffic.  Thankfully you can jump directly to races, though with the shitty map it's hard to tell which races you still need to pass to move along the story.  The actual racing is pretty fun, but I wish there were more straight races instead of drifting stuff.  Where's my next gen Midnight Club or Burnout?  Hurry up already.

My wife got me one of those reproduction Genesis systems for Xmas, so I've been playing some of that as well.  It has 80 games built in (most of them are homebrew crap) but I have been getting a few cartridges as well: Revenge of Shinobi (original version with all the bootleg characters), Pit Fighter (yeah, yeah, I love the game) and Forgotten Worlds.  Unfortunately I can't play Forgotten Worlds for now because apparently the 6 button controllers make it immediately crash to the game over screen.

I thought the first Bioshock game was decent. Didn't much like the second and haven't played the third. It's a shame you're having to pay for them as they've all been free on PSN at one point or another.

Chrontendo for video series, they cover other systems.  Hardcore Gaming 101 for articles.  Lazy Game Review Oddware series.  Mattchat has great interviews.  Retroware has a ton of shows including Video Game years up to the 90s.

Oculus Rift: $600, orders shipping in (late) march, some selected locations will have it in retail in April. Pre-orders open now.

While it seems crazy price-wise, my biggest issue would be I'd have to demo it before buying it. I couldn't trust reviews or specs, I'd have to strap the thing on and try it for an hour to even consider making that big of a purchase.

Oh you better believe I preordered that shit.  I set an alarm, zipped on and still am in the May shipments.  If I get it and hate it, I could flip it.  I don't think that's going to happen though.  I gotta play some fucking project cars with this shit.  I wanna be fucking traumatized.

Why do people keep trying to make VR Headsets happen? They've been trying this since the 1990's. It doesn't work because they are ugly vision-hoods you have to put over your face that fail in core ways to do things VR would have to do, and nobody wants to do it.

It's pretty clearly a dead end technology that with 3-D tv we're gonna just skip right over and go to the Star Trek holodeck sooner rather than later.

AR looks more interesting to me than VR, and I am more excited for Hololens than Oculus or PSVR, but I am also pretty excited to see what the early adopters think about VR.

Oh you better believe I preordered that shit.  I set an alarm, zipped on and still am in the May shipments.  If I get it and hate it, I could flip it.  I don't think that's going to happen though.  I gotta play some fucking project cars with this shit.  I wanna be fucking traumatized.

While I do think it has potential to be awesome, I don't think it will be flippable in the traditional sense. I haven't heard that it will be too limited of a quality (if it sold out in a day that would be different), and there will probably be a fair number of buyers that don't like them and will try to sell them. I wouldn't be surprised if they are selling used for 25% retail by the summer, not by the retailer but by early adopters. But let us know how it is when you get it :)

Anyone played Invisible Inc?

I see lots of 2015 awards.

Is it worth $20?

Yep, totally worth it.

Tauriq Moosa was singing it's praises this morning, so it's gone on my wishlist. I am not usually fond of RTS, but this looks way too good to pass up.