DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I think they are smart with handling this. People often are always looking at the "next big thing" in gaming, but sooner or later games are just gonna be too high tech for them to be affordable. If a game developer has to sell a game at 100 bucks a pop because it is the only way to make money, which is a possible long term outcome, they should take steps to avoid that.

• Like 1

I feel like the only one who doesn't give a fuck about VR right now.

It seems neat, but the cost is so high and I have way too much other shit going on that I don't really care either.

Oh, are we talking about Alpha Protocol, the best game of all last generation? No? I guess I missed talking about the best game of all last generation. Oh well. 

I've been playing a lot of MLB The Show 14 lately. It might be time to upgrade and get 16 at the end of the month. I just wish I could get my Road to the Show character from 14 directly to 16, which I don't think is allowed. 

I don't even think I've read one thing about this year's version of the Show. I thought last year's was the best version they've ever run with. Everything performed well and I played a shit load of Diamond Dynasty because even online was great. Going to be hard to top that.

*shrug* I'm okay with how things are. The Show is about as good as you're going to get on the console and OOTP may even be better than Football Manager. I pre-ordered OOTP (you basically end up with 3 copies if you do that pre-order deal they have running right now) and depending on finances (plus buying three copies of TEW in another month), I'll probably get The Show shortly after release. Rosters shouldn't take as long to release this year because editors can carry over their files from 2015.  That's my one complaint, is that the adjusted ratings rosters don't usually come out until the last few weeks of August. 

I think they are smart with handling this. People often are always looking at the "next big thing" in gaming, but sooner or later games are just gonna be too high tech for them to be affordable. If a game developer has to sell a game at 100 bucks a pop because it is the only way to make money, which is a possible long term outcome, they should take steps to avoid that.

Not gonna happen. In 2016 dollars, SF2 cost $126 in 1992. What do most high-end games cost now? 40-50 bucks. And yet they are infinitely more complex.

40-50 bucks + premium price limited edition + season pass + dlc + pre-order bonuses + psplus/gold (console) / have to use their client so no one else gets a cut (PC) + goty edition re-release + next gen 1080p re-release  + no money back if bad (digital) + you do their advertising for them on twitch.

My favourite 'shit, why isn't the market expanding like we predicted?' loss avoiding tactic are digital sales and bundles. Can't milk any more money out of your static userbase despite increasing costs? Sell it to people who aren't going to play it!

Post Direct thoughts:

1. Star Fox is not gonna win any graphics awards, but is looking sharper than it did before. They better allow us to use regular controls though.

2. That Lost Reavers game looks interesting.

3. I had no idea the Olympics were this year until they showed that Mario & Sonic game.

4. PAPER MOTHERFUCKIN' MARIO!!!!!!!!

5. Kirby x Titanfall

6. Their sale of that Metroid game reeked of desperation to me.

Speaking of Betas, is anyone trying Uncharted 4 multiplayer this weekend? It's free... they're calling it a stress test because they want the servers to get close to overloading.